Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Phone Fault

UncleZen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Open Phone Fault

What is an "Open Phone Fault" Ive appreantly got one, but I'd like to understand what it is and what the symptoms of such as fault are on voice and boradband.
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Open Phone Fault

phone fault means theres an issue with your phoneline (crackling, poor sound / volume, general issues to do with your phone)
When your phoneline isnt working correctly AS a phoneline, it usually knocks out the broadband too.
This is why when you have issues with the line itself, you should NEVER mention broadband when you're raising the fault, as it can lead to a lengthy "whats wrong with the broadband" process, when in actual fact the issue is with the line.
Hope That Helps
Regards
UncleZen
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply, well I have no issues with voice, the phones work as expected, the problem I have is with bb (shockingly slow downstream speed) . But plusnet say I have a "open phone fault". BT did a test and say everythings OK.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi UncleZen,
If BT haven't closed the phone fault off properly we can only go so far with broadband troubleshooting and then it gives us the message that there is an open phone fault and for the customer to call their supplier. Can you call them and ask them to close the phone fault off?
Jojo Smiley
UncleZen
Rising Star

Hi, Jojo,
what do you mean by "close the phone fault off"?
BT report this as "ongoing" on their website against the ticket I raised and then say:
We have run a line test and we cannot find a problem with your line. The problem may be with your own equipment so we need you to carry out some tests. To get help with that click on the 'Help Section' on top right. If you have already checked your equipment and still have a problem then please call 0800 800 151.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Exactly, by being "ongoing" the fault finding is still 'open'
If the line is perfectly clear and you have no issues with the phone at all, and the problem is with JUST your broadband, you should have raised it with Plusnet, not BT.
You'll have to get that fault closed before PN can open a Broadband Fault. (Phone + Broadband faults cannot be done at the same time, as if theres a phone fault there is almost *always* a broadband fault)
Regards
UncleZen
Rising Star

OK, thanks I'll ask BT to close the fault, so PN can progress with the ticket.
PS, this is raised with PlusNet support already, the last message from them was:
I can see that there still seems to be an open phone on your connection, please get back in touch once this is cleared
matt_2k34
Grafter

indeed,
when BT has closed the fault, pop that info on the ticket and PN shall be able to take a gander.
Regards
UncleZen
Rising Star

I can see where Ive mis-underestood this.
Open Phone fault being its a fault/ticket thats still open as opposed to closed, not a fault with a phone per-se - like an open circuit which is what I thought it meant and, I have to say, implied by the support ticket..
matt_2k34
Grafter

from ...
I can see that there still seems to be an open phone on your connection

I think it was a slip of the agents fingers, who meant...
"I can see that there still seems to be an open phone fault on your connection"
This makes a little more sense, and points you at the conclusion we came to prior Smiley
As before, as soon as BT have closed off that ticket, BT will be able to open an issue with BT Smiley
Regards
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: UncleZen
Yes, and that open phone fault has been closed for a day

Ok, I'll see if I can get someone to pick it up for you.
Jojo Smiley
UncleZen
Rising Star

Bump,
48 hours and still "Awaiting Support Team answer "
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've someone checking for an update now Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi UncleZen,
It appears we need you to run another BT speed test
Jojo Smiley
UncleZen
Rising Star

Ive run more speed tests than I can shake a stick at. The download speed is slow regardless.
Ticket updated with my latest speedtest results.
Can someone close this thread, its no longer about an open phone fault, its about slow download speeds.