cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oooohhh! Shiny New Button!

James
Grafter

Oooohhh! Shiny New Button!

Is anyone waiting to have an ADS2+ order placed and has a ticket open?
Let me know - I'm hoping to do a few today.
52 REPLIES 52
scootie
Grafter

Re: Oooohhh! Shiny New Button!

i could think of a better title for that button  Lips_are_sealed
looks like PN are getting closer to a mass release
ashgeo
Grafter

James!
I know you are keen to use your shiny new button and I have a ticket #29242181 placed 2:15pm, Tuesday 30th June 2009 waiting to go on the trial.... I am currently on DSLMAX up to 8meg but have a long line. I have also been experiencing problems with a deteriorating sync speed recently. About two years ago my sync speed was in excess of 1500kbps but now it is syncing in the range of 600-700kbps! A loss of 50% sync rate in two years! I have ticket #29598090 placed 9:37am, Thursday 6th August 2009 which PN have requested our “friends” at BT look into. I am still waiting for the outcome, however last night for the first time I did not note the usual drop in SNR that always happens at 19:51, which then goes back up at 22:21 (nothing at home or locally I can find that causes it). Maybe it is Dungeness nuclear power station firing up to plug a hole in the grid (it is about 20 miles away….)! I have also posted some stats for the line on ticket #29598090.
I am keen to go on to the trial as I will do anything (well almost!) to speed up my connection. I realise that living in a BT backwater with a cable that must go the most convoluted route possible to the exchange limits what I speed I can get but the current line speed means a lot of stuff available on the internet can’t be used as it is too slow.
On the original ticket I opted to limit the upload to 448kbps but am not sure if this will be beneficial or not. If not then don’t limit it. I will leave the decision to you.
Kind regards,
George
James
Grafter

Hi George,
I have pressed said shiny new button and you should hopefully be on ADSL2+ in a weeks time.
Unfortunately, the button will only place orders with an uncapped upstream, but we can change this after the order has completed should you wish to do so.
ashgeo
Grafter

Thankyou James! Cheesy
I will be interested to see how ADSL2+ performs on my long line. Everyone else on the trial seems to have speeds that I can only dream of, despite their ongoing issues. I will also update folks via this forum so if there is anyone else on a long line they can see how it goes.
George
paulby
Grafter

James,  I have an open ticket no. 29827457. 
Could you possibly push this one through?
whisky
Grafter

James,
Another ticket for your new button -29662547.
Thanks
James
Grafter

I've placed both of those orders now.
SparckZero
Grafter

Does your shiny new button happen to be able to upgrade those exchanges which are not yet upgraded to 21CN? Wink
I'm assuming this is some kind of automatic order placement test? Smiley
James
Grafter

Sadly it does not.
It's just a button that automatically places an order via xml.  Similar to the one we have for standard ADSL.
mpratley
Dabbler

James any chance of you working your magic on 29277635 thanks
James
Grafter

Hi there.
I've placed your order too.  It should complete in a week.
andyizzard
Dabbler

Quote from: ashgeo
Thankyou James! Cheesy
I will be interested to see how ADSL2+ performs on my long line. Everyone else on the trial seems to have speeds that I can only dream of, despite their ongoing issues. I will also update folks via this forum so if there is anyone else on a long line they can see how it goes.
George

I too have a long line attenuation:
Noise Margin:    12.2 dB      7.6 dB
DSL Attenuation:    66.0 dB      37.8 dB
DSL Mode:            ADSL2+
DSL Channel:        FAST
DSL Upstream Rate:  560 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 2047 Kbps
I've found that my speed is worse with ADSL 2+ (in the past 2/3 months it doesn't sync higher than 2100kbps) than that of normal ADSL.
funkyd101

Go on press my button too  Shocked
Thanks
ashgeo
Grafter

andyizzard,
My line stats this morning on DSLMax are:
Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 672 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:                  G.DMT
Channel:                Interleave
Trellis:                OFF
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):      6.4            8.0
Attn(dB):      63.5            31.5
Pwr(dBm):      14.2            11.8
Max(Kbps):      768            608
Rate (Kbps):    672            448
                        G.dmt framing
K:              22(0)          15
R:              16              16
S:              8              8
😧              2              2
As you can see your sync speed is way above mine. I am hoping that ADSL2+ will give me somewhere near what you have but feel it will not be so. When I migrated to DSLMax my sync speed was always in excess of 1500kbps but has steadily dropped to what it is now (more rapidly recently). I believe the line is undergound all the way from the exchange despite it's convoluted route! Unfortunately I do not live in the 'sticks' so can't blame that, but actually on the edge of a large town (Ashford, Kent). The only thing speedy round here is the new [expensive] train service to London in 37mins! Cheesy
There are many people out there at the end of lines in 'BT Backwaters' who will never get the 2meg connections that the government has deemed as a minimum standard unless someone is willing to pay massive sums to upgrade the network. I fear that the incumbent, BT, will never do this and most of the UK will end up lagging far behind our European neighbours. I am hoping that the FTTC trials prove sucessful and that it will be rolled out rapidly throughout the country.  The only way we will catch up with the rest of Europe is if the Government decides it is a prioity and creates a climate which encourages monopolies like BT to invest!
I will post on here my results once I am moved across to 21CN so folks can follow my progress (if they are interested that is ;)). From what I have seen ADSL2+ should improve those on long lines by a small but significant amount.
Regards,
George