cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online gaming (PS3) suffers lag/jerkiness when iPad accesses internet

zebedee18

Online gaming (PS3) suffers lag/jerkiness when iPad accesses internet

Hi
I have been looking into this issue as it occurred when I was with BT and their HomeHub 2.
Whenever I use the playstation to play online games it works fine and I have no real issues. However if my partner wants to check emails or use the internet for browsing it severely effects the game play. I would understand if she was watching video's etc, but not when downloading comparatively small amounts of data.
There does not appear to be any way of traffic shaping with the technicolor adsl router and I cannot find too much definite information on what could be a good resolution.
My best guesses could both be wrong, is it the way the router handles the priority internally (i.e. not giving priority to the PS3) or is it the wireless connection interfering?
At best I am thinking that purchasing a higher end router could be the best option.
Has anybody experienced this and been able to resolve it so they can use online gaming and have someone browse the internet at the same time?
Cheers
3 REPLIES 3
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Online gaming (PS3) suffers lag/jerkiness when iPad accesses internet

my personal experiance was that both machines needed ot be on the wifi connection to stop this, theres something in the router that messes up the gameing connection if anything is wired, although that said whenever anyone browses the internet and the connection is taxed i have experianced this problem (normally because of the number of users online at the same time in my case) my solution was to buy dedicated wired router and a seperate wifi access point connected to it via homeplugs.
howevr having said all of that i have noticed that having a wifi router within 15 feet of the skybox seems to induce this problem at a far higher rate my solution in my last house was to move everything round so theres a fair chance your problem will also be down ot somethign similar
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
flaminmoses
Grafter

need a router with qos  (quality of service) capabilities.
you can throttle ip adresses and make your ps3's static ip adress higher priority etc
ive got one that makes all gameing packets top priority over anything else.
its still not perfect but its decent enough.
the best way is to allow downloaded gameing packets to be higher priority over uploaded packets but there is no router on these shores that does it.
happy enough with gameing atm so wont bother getting the required router from the states just yet
shure
Grafter

Quote from: flaminmoses
need a router with qos  (quality of service) capabilities.

I'm not sure that's 100% necessary.  I, too, had similar issues upon joining Plusnet recently, when the supplied router seemed to struggle when several machines were making demands on the wifi.  Gaming on Xbox suffered tremendously when my son was streaming on his laptop, for example, so much so that I pretty much had to stop completely (I played mainly Black Ops II, so lag was a major concern).  I'm on 20CN ADSL with only 7.15Mbps, so I don't have a lot of capacity to spare!
However, when I changed back to my old Netgear DG834PN, the issues all but disappeared.  Now this router dates back to 2005, so no "n" capability (unlike the Technicolor), and it also does not have qos capability.  Maybe it's the fact that it has 6 (internal) antennae but once I set up port forwarding and a static IP for the Xbox I never had any real issues with multiple users and Xbox gaming worked fine, no matter what other people were doing.  I guess what I'm saying is that the router doesn't have to be high end, with cutting edge features, or even the latest model.  Any halfway decent router should work.