cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On balance, I'm feeling a bit short changed !

happysnapper
Grafter

On balance, I'm feeling a bit short changed !

I'm on a package BBYW Pro which doesn't have any telephony and hasn't cost PlusNet a router yet
I pay £19.99 for just 10GB data which I usually exceed to 16 odd GB so pay in excess of £25 p/m
If I was to leave PlusNet and come back as a new punter and take the router and 240 mins of phone
I would only pay £19.99 for 20GB ?
The service I get from PlusNet is great. It works, which is all I need, but can you see why I feel a bit
short changed ? When I look at what PlusNet competitors offer I'm tempted to jump ship but then
I might be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Can anyone from PlusNet explain how I can get a better deal without jumping ship ?
14 REPLIES 14
Emma
Grafter

Re: On balance, I'm feeling a bit short changed !

Hi there
Just checked the site incase anything has changed during my days off, the only option I can see at £19.99  a month is option 3, which does include 20GB however these are all at using the broadband your way traffic priorities. Pro is all gold/titanium giving the best service for gamers.
You are more than welcome to change to Option 3 from Pro, the two main differences are the extra usage, and the prioritisation. You are also able to get a free router at anytime.
I hope this helps
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Why don't you just change the package you're on? That's what I've done each time something new has come in which has worked out cheaper for the same bandwidth.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
happysnapper
Grafter

So, essentially, I've being paying £25+ for less than 20GB peak usage, no phone calls and no free router
when if I'd simply requested it I could have a free router, 20GB peak usage and (if I port my phone number
from BT) 240 mins free calls ?
When did the packages change ? I was initially on a £14.99 10GB package which was hobbled in the afternoons
when I need to email stuff to the office and I then upgraded to the Pro package but still with 10GB data.
Could I have been better advised ? Can someone at PlusNet do the do to get me on the best package
for my needs ? 20GB peak, not hobbled (pro) for c£20 ? I don't need the telephony bit yet, I need to stay
with BT for another month before I can leave without paying them £70
And can I have a free router please Smiley edit: scratch that bit.
Thanks for any help.
paulby
Grafter

The 240mins are broadband phonecalls, i.e.VoIP, and not standard landline calls.  You would need a VoIP enabled router or telephone adapter for your router to make use of them.  Landline will cost either £9.99 or £15 in addition to your broadband package but you wouldn't need to pay BT for line rental - see here.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

If you don't want the free router, you can get a fiver per month off for 6 months as a loyalty* discount (which is what I opted for, already having a decent router and a spare).
*Means you promise to stay on for a year or else you have to pay the discount back when you leave.
happysnapper
Grafter

Thanks for that, the array of options are a bit heavy to wade through .
Having done so it seems PlusNet penalise users for wanting a service which works with
good throughput at peak times, despite not wanting to hit peak usage during peak times.
i.e I lose 10GB usage allowance per month just for wanting a non speed hobbled service,
which is essential for me, especially the upload.
If ISP's claim that bandwidth costs and, therefore we have to pay, fair enough, I can see
the reasoning. But throttling doesn't cost the same way that bandwidth does, but to lose
the throttling I have to pay through the nose ?
There must be a better option for me. Can anyone from PlusNet suggest anything ?
p.s.  the 1 month option is essential, the free router isn't, the loyalty discount sounds interesting.
Can PlusNet introduce some sort of fairly priced and structured  'roll your own' package ?

monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

Quote from: Mad
If you don't want the free router, you can get a fiver per month off for 6 months as a loyalty* discount (which is what I opted for, already having a decent router and a spare).
*Means you promise to stay on for a year or else you have to pay the discount back when you leave.

how does this work? is it for new members? i joined +net last month, didnt take the router but didnt see anything about a discount if i went on a year contract.
cheers.
happysnapper
Grafter

I think PlusNet needs to revise it's offerings, obviously, no one from PlusNet wants to comment  Sad
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The £5/month off for 6 months was a recent promotion which has since ended. It was aimed as a loyalty bonus for long standing customers or those who commit to a 12 month contract.
BBYW Pro is the most recent package that PlusNet have introduced. The reason you only get 10GB peak time allowance is that traffic management is very light on the package so everything is either in gold or titanium i.e. the highest priority currently possible. I don't think Emma from PlusNet understood this when she posted.
You could change to BBYW option 3 which gives you 20GB peak time allowance for the same price you are paying. he reason you get more allowance is traffic management is heaver so things like P2P/Usenet and FTP are more heavily restricted during peak times thus is slower. Known games are still in titanium so will not be any different to what you have now.
Bandwidth costs PlusNet money so they have created the various BBYW options to cater for different users and thus at different prices you get different allowances. PlusNet still have to make a profit on what they offer but the margins on broadband are very tight.
As for ADSL hardware, all you have to do is raise a ticket and ask for the free router. You will have to pay £6.99 P&P and have to stay with PN for 12 months before the cost is written off.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: Peter
The £5/month off for 6 months was a recent promotion which has since ended. It was aimed as a loyalty bonus for long standing customers or those who commit to a 12 month contract.

Ah, I didn't know this had finished. Neither did I realise that the OP had only been with PlusNet such a short while.
I've been a member since late 2003, starting with Home Surf at £18.99 for 512kbps speed and gradually getting more speed and bandwidth for the same or less per month (currently, with the £5 discount, just £6.49), as new packages were introduced.
phil
Grafter

Quote from: happysnapper
Can PlusNet introduce some sort of fairly priced and structured  'roll your own' package ?

Evening happysnapper
We've got an option to customise the packages here - http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/preconfigure.shtml - if you want a bespoke option. You can do this already as a customer already by pre-paying for bandwidth in My Account.
I think the earlier suggestion of changing package for a while might be worth it for you.
If you were previously on £14.99 Plus, then try Option 3 - it will be different. Emailing to the office, for example, should be fine and you'd get the increase in usage you're after. If it doesn't work out you can change back to Pro next month, and with no new contract to begin. Heck, that's the idea of the monthly deal 🙂
hope this helps. Phil
happysnapper
Grafter

Afternoon, Phil. Thanks for the reply.
I tried the standard service but upgraded to pro because I need to email photos into the office, sometimes 50 of them,
usually in the afternoon, after traffic management kicks in, which slows the job down too much. That's why I upgraded
to pro, to lose the restrictions and to get the gaming advantage. I haven't done much gaming recently which relies on
ping times but uploading via FTP and sending photos by email is essential to me. I might not need to do so every day
but when I do I need to email photos fast and FTP them to my website.
The customised package fails after the 20GB for £19.99/month bit, for me, because of the traffic shaping on email & FTP.
I can understand traffic shaping on Usenet and p2p but not on FTP or email for genuine FTP and email use.
Can the traffic shaping be fine tuned on a per customer basis ?
chillypenguin
Grafter

I need to email photos into the office

It sounds like someone is using a Residential service for Business use!
happysnapper
Grafter

Quote from: chillypenguin
I need to email photos into the office

It sounds like someone is using a Residential service for Business use!

2 days a week I email some stuff to the office.
The other 5 it's the usual p0rn, mp3s and random pointless surfing, just like you and everyone else  Wink
If my connection was for business use 1/ I wouldn't use PlusNet 2/ I'd have SDSL and 3/ it would be
offset against tax so I wouldn't be so concerned about the cost compared to other service providers.