cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old user thinking of returning....

MrB

Old user thinking of returning....

... but a question to those in the know.
As part of the transferring process, will my existing ADSL MAX line be subject to retraining?
If not, could it be made to be so?  That's right I want my existing profile (including the lines maximum stable rate) nuked and re-determined anew  Cheesy 
I currently "seem" to be limited at a 12db noise threshold interleaved. Thing is the line statistics are rock solid and seem to suggest to me that the line is capable of supporting a much higher speed than I am currently getting (3300 odd connect, 2500 transfer).  I'm about 2.6km from the exchange.
The existing ISP are struggling to help me achieve this, would transferring to PN achieve this I wonder?
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Old user thinking of returning....

Retraining does not normally happen on a migration and I don't think PN can ask for it to be done. however...
Once you have migrated, PN can get your target SNR of 12dB reduced to the default 6dB and thus improve your sync rate - it has been done for many others in a similar position to you. But... if your line is bad, it may be automatically raised again by the exchange which is outside of PN's control.
You also have the option within your control to turn off interleaving (which will improve you ping times if you are in to gaming), although this may be better left on to keep the line stable. At least you can try it and see, and if it does not work well, get PN to add interleaving back on by raising a ticket.
MrB

Thanks for the prompt reply Peter.
Yes, gaming is a big part of my internet usage, so having the ability to change interleaving to off is a nice to have for some of the more latency twitchy MMO's out there - PN's gaming package appeals to me here - especially with a 90 day trial.
It would seem that having the noise profile reduced could be the way to go here, but how does the exchange determine if my line is bad or not? Is this a value arrived at in the past and immutable, or a dynamically calculated one regularly updated by the exchange as line condition determines?
Many thanks.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The exchange dynamically determines the quality of your line and sets the target SNR accordingly. If it finds your line is noisy (it monitors things like framing errors, retransmits and noise margin fluctuations) and/or you are getting a lot of resyncs (i.e. dropped connections) then it will try to improve things by turning on interleaving and increasing the target SNR in stages (6dB,9dB,12dB to the maximum 15dB).
That is the theory... in practice it is a lot more brute force whereby it may increase the target SNR for no apparent reason or due to only a few connection drops. Some have had it happen after they disconnected a few times which the exchange should have ignored.
BT's complex line monitoring is seriously flawed (for any ISP using BT's IPstream connection not just PN) and noisy / long lines tend to suffer more that shorter, less noisy lines. Then there is the IP profile which is also determined by the exchange and can limit your data throughput. Don't get me started on that flawed process!!
OK, rant over  Wink But, PN do try their best to sort out these issues (once detected by you) when they occur unlike many other ISPs.
MrB

Hehe.. I like a good rant as well  Wink
Most informative. Seems like I'll be heading PN's way when my contract expires end of April.
Many thanks Peter.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Just to add, its not just PN who can help with speed issues as there a many 'seasoned' fellow PN customers in this forums who can help as well (like me!). If you look through the forum you will find many cases of speed related problems being discussed and advice offered from both PN and our side and this often speeds up the resolution of the problem.