Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old linebox

lingbob
Grafter

Re: Old linebox

Quote from: Mand
Hi there,
The fees quoted are the charges as issued by BT Wholesale. They are judged to be the cost of sending a BT Openreach engineer to your premises to conduct non-essential work.

Judged by whom?
We cannot refute these charges on an individual basis.

Maybe not but I feel you have a moral obligation to ask for justification on behalf of your customers. Putting yourself in the customers' position, do you honestly consider BT's charges to be realistic - I think not!
Do you ever get any noise on the line at all? If so it may be worth going down the fault route for the voice side of things.

Yes I do but it's very intermittent and I'm not prepared to risk raising a fault.
Regards .....
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: road
Judged by whom?

By BT Openreach, who employ the engineers.
Maybe not but I feel you have a moral obligation to ask for justification on behalf of your customers. Putting yourself in the customers' position, do you honestly consider BT's charges to be realistic - I think not!

The fees are standard across the WLR service (the service we buy from BT Wholesale). These are the charges derived from labour, materials, time and such.
If you called out a plumber you would pay a standard call out charge, as well as any other charges incurred as well.
You also have to consider that Openreach only have so many engineers, and need to charge for non-essential work to ensure that demand doesn't far exceed supply.
Yes I do but it's very intermittent and I'm not prepared to risk raising a fault.
Regards .....

It doesn't cost you anything to raise the fault to us and let us test it, you never know what might show up. Smiley
lingbob
Grafter

I'm asking for justification of the extortionate charges, not for a waiver of the charges. I fully expect to have to pay for work being done but I do not expect to be ripped off.
Regards .....
James
Grafter

The fees are standard across the WLR service (the service we buy from BT Wholesale). These are the charges derived from labour, materials, time and such.
If you called out a plumber you would pay a standard call out charge, as well as any other charges incurred as well.
You also have to consider that Openreach only have so many engineers, and need to charge for non-essential work to ensure that demand doesn't far exceed supply.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm asking for justification of the extortionate charges, not for a waiver of the charges. I fully expect to have to pay for work being done but I do not expect to be ripped off.

If PN can demonstrate that there is a fault there is a possibility that you will get it swapped for free. Worth a try!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: Mand

Regards .....

It doesn't cost you anything to raise the fault to us and let us test it, you never know what might show up. Smiley

It's just happened again this afternoon <sigh>.
I was happilly surfing and then, all of a sudden, NADA - I lost my connection with PlusNet and I just could not re-connect. Been here before methinks so I immediately lifted the telephone receiver and lo and behold, there was crackling on the line. The temporary fix is quite simply a matter of un-plugging the filter from the linebox and plugging it straight back in again, which stops the crackling. AFAIC, the linebox is definitely faulty but with it being such an intermittent fault, how do I prove that it needs replacing FOC. If there was noise on the line all the time, it would be simple but I can literally go for months without any problems and then, all of a sudden, wallop!
Regards .....
lingbob
Grafter

Ah, good idea, never thought of that. Strange how the simple solutions often elude us, isn't it  Wink
Right, my telephone service is with PlusNet so the next time it happens, I'll phone them and hopefully they will be able to hear it and then raise a fault for me.
As for swapping filters, I've tried a shed-load of different ones and it doesn't make any difference.
Thanks for your very helpful suggestion  Smiley
Regards .....
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I think I know the crackling you heard when you have been disconnecting, as I had a similar problem when I was with a previous ISP (I've not read the entire thread though).
I used to be able to (oddly) keep my connection alive by messing around with my phone, and it was eventually tracked down to a fault piece of kit at the exchange (the name of which eludes me for now, anyone want to throw some names around and see if you hit the right one...line card?), which BT replaced and then everything was nice and fine.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Also remember to disconnect your router when making the recording. The first thing that BT will ask you to do is remove the router and see if the problem remains.