cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old adsl router as a wifi ap

Tyreal74
Grafter

Old adsl router as a wifi ap

So I moved over to fibre an as a result I have my old router left over now I was wondering if its possible to use the router as an access point for in the workshop rather than having to buy a new ap. anyone any ideas? As I've always just used ap's
7 REPLIES 7
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Old adsl router as a wifi ap

Hey There,
I've done the same quite a few months ago. I use my old Thompson TG585v8 as a wireless access point, because, believe it or not, the wireless on it is better than my tp-link router!
It's just a case of plugging it into your network and if it's got DHCP enabled you need to make sure it points to the router with the internet connection for the default gateway.
Depending on the router, you might also need to change it's IP address if it's got the same one as the new router.
Hope this helps,
Matt
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I do this with my HH2.
Disable the dhcp server
You will need an Ethernet connection to it. (or powerplug etc)
Plug ethernet from main router in to one of the normal ports.
Change the default route on the router to point to main router, you will probably have to use telnet for this.
Then anything connected to it, wireless or wired, will relay though the main router.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Some clarification/corrections to the advice above - The old router will work as an AP with following changes:
1.  Change the LAN IP address of the old router to something within the range of your LAN, but outside the DHCP range.  I'd suggest something like 192.168.1.250 (assuming that new router is 192.168.1.254)
2.  Disable DHCP on the old router.  You want your new router to be responsible for allocating addresses.
3.  Plug one of the LAN ports on the old router to a LAN port on the new router.
4.  Set up the wireless on the old router and test.
Notes
No need to setup any routes - The old router isn't routing
You may see some benefit if you set the SSID )and security passphrase etc) on the old router to be the same as that on the new one and leave the wireless active on both devices.  I have two wireless APs and they're set to the same channels and SSID - My clients roam seamlessly between them!
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

A few screen captures may help, assuming the old router is a Thomson /Technicolor Wink
http://npr.me.uk/together.html
HairyMcbiker
All Star

OK I set the route up to use the voip client on the hh2, probably not needed for a "normal" router.
Tyreal74
Grafter

Thanks for your help, ill try it, ideally I'd like a non hard wired solution but that doesn't seem te case Smiley
Ill let you know how I get on
HairyMcbiker
All Star

For that you need a repeater not a router.