cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Fibre Extra -> New Fibre Extra, slow upload?

SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

Old Fibre Extra -> New Fibre Extra, slow upload?

Hi,
I recently moved from the old 40/2 Fibre Extra service to the 76/20 service.
My download speed is around 60Mbps, which is as expected. However I expected my upload to be closer to 20Mbps, but it's actually closer to 14Mbps (according to speedtester.bt.com, closer to 11Mbps according to everyone else).
Is it normal to not get close to the upload speed?
Mind you it's still better than my old 1.84Mbps, but I'm greedy!  Grin
11 REPLIES 11
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Old Fibre Extra -> New Fibre Extra, slow upload?

Hi SarcasticGuy1,
I'v checked your sync speeds and your upload is currently showing at 18MB/s. What is your current upload speed that you are getting?
Chris
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for checking this.
Both www.speedtest.net and speedtester.bt.com are currently reporting my upload as being around 11Mbps.
The interesting thing was that after I placed the order to change products my upload increased to around 16Mbps while my download was still 37Mbps. Now since my download has increased my upload has gone down.
At the end of the day I'd rather have the faster download than the upload, but if I could get both that'd be even better.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You should be seeing a higher upload speed than you are. Are you doing the tests with a wired or wireless connection?
If you are using a wired connection, I'd suggest raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net so our faults team can have a look at this. As your profile is currently configured correctly and the checks I have done show higher speeds than you are currently getting.
If you need further assistance with this then please let me know.
Chris
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

Wired connection.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It would be best to raise a fault to get this looked at by our faults team.
I'll keep an eye on it to see how it progresses.
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

Raised and answered...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upon testing your line, I am unable to find any issues with both your downstream or upstream speeds. From your recent test done yesterday on the BT Speedtester website you managed to obtain a 60.5mb downstream throughput of a potential 65mb and a 15.7mb out of a potential 20mb.
Given the results above, I am unable to see any issues with your connection.
Naturally, with all broadband technology (fibre to the cabinet included), your connection rates will fluctuate from time to time. This is only natural and expected.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Typical I should get a better result when doing speed tests to prove a fault...
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Speeds can fluctuate, and yes it's always typical that when you run your speed test it appears to be ok  Undecided
I would monitor your speed, if your speeds do decrease then it would be best if you can run the speed test at that time.
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

I did another one yesterday (I think it was) and it came out just below 13Mbps so I added this to the ticket. Not sure if they/you consider 13Mbps to just be within normal fluctuation or not.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

13MB upload speed would be an acceptable rate for your line. Our faults team will update your ticket if they do find anything our of the ordinary from your tests.
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

While running speed tests for this I've noticed that my download profile is set to 65Mbps. Now my speed tests can show me getting around 62-63Mbps (on www.speedtest.net) and 60-61Mbps (on speedtester.bt.com). Do you think my connection might be able to get a faster download if the profile was changed? (With overheads and stuff you'd be hard pushed to hit 65Mbps on a 76Mbps line if your had a profile cap of 65Mbps wouldn't you? But not sure how much lower it'd be)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your profile is set according to your sync rate, so it would make no difference having your profile any higher. If your sync rate was to increase then your profile would automatically match that anyway.