cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old BT Phone Socket

saffron

Old BT Phone Socket

I have an old wall mounted BT phone socket - LJ2/1A. I have just joined plusnet and I have a Netgear router. The router is showing a red light 'no internet connection'. How can I get a connection? Do I have to upgrade the old socket? If that is the answer how do I do this? Help needed please.
7 REPLIES 7
kevvyg

Re: Old BT Phone Socket

Hi Saffron, I'm pretty sure B&Q will have the newer BT Main 'phone sockets. You can change it yourself (I think it's just a simple rewiring job - find an 'mature' electrician in B&Q when you buy it to give you advice...), or you can get a BT engineer out, but I think they charge around £70!  Shocked
KG
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You might be able to change the socket yourself but I din't think it would be legal to do so.  The socket belongs to BT and you're not meant to tamper with it.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: saffron
Do I have to upgrade the old socket?

In a word, NO!
(and if it's the Master socket you're not allowed to)
If your phone works the broadband should too.
If it doesn't even though the phone is OK then report a fault to PlusNet.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: saffron
I have just joined plusnet....

Are you sure your broadband service has been activated?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI saffron,
If it's the internet light that's red but you have a solid ADSL connection then it will be an authentication issue. Check your router settings by typing 192.168.0.1 into your web browser address bar (if your router requests a username and password this will be username=admin and password=password) and select  'basic settings' on the left to check.  If the ADSL light is not on or flashing then you need to check your connections/filters/test socket etc.
Jojo Smiley
@ ReedRichards, It's definitely activated
saffron

Thanks for all the responses.
Jojo - I have done this with the Netgear basic start up and eventually got to a message stating that 'I was not connected to the internet'. [I'm on a mac by the way].
I've printed off the plusnet troubleshooting sections and I'll try again...
All advice welcome
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have a 40 plus year grotty junction box, with a socket off that, and I and synched at 16M on ADSL 2 - so dont worry about the soclet