Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh, not again!

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Oh, not again!

Well the profile's definitely wavering though it's above the fault threshold rate so I'm not sure what there is we can do to be honest. There's not many disconnections showing and your connections are typically lasting at least 24 hours and as the speed is within the limits it'd be unlikely that a fault would be accepted. I don't suppose there's any noise on the phone line at all is there?
Denzil
Grafter

No, I have done quiet line test and it seems fine. Most of the recent disconnections were probably me fiddling. I have just ordered myself a new Billion 7700N, so we'll see if that makes a difference.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fingers crossed for you that it does, please let us know.
Denzil
Grafter

Well then, the shiny new 7700N is fitted, but it hasn't improved. I have tried adjusting the SNR margin, and I got 1200 or so at 4db with a small number of disconnections over 24 hours. I took the margin up, and at the moment it is syncing at 800kbps at a reported 7db, and is dropping every few minutes. I am going to have to take the margin up some more in an effort to keep it stable, but that is going to make it even slower.
I still have the issue that I'm getting much slower sync rates than I would normally expect for any given SNR margin. When Jojo reset the margin a couple of weeks back, I got 1800-odd at 7db.
The web interface on the 7700 is slow, when the connection has obviously dropped it takes it a good minute or so for the GUI to catch up and show me.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Denzil
Would it be possible to go back to the set up (router/filter) when we achieved the original highest rate, because, although you've bought new equipment, I'm not sure the filtered faceplate is doing you any good.
Jojo Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

At the moment it is running with one of the pigtailed  filters that came with the new 2Wire, plugged into the test socket. I haven't tried the new router direct to the test socket yet, but will try that when I get home. The Billion does have the advantage, at least, that I can try swapping things round and it will hold the margin down.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's just that, as we had it so good, it'd be interesting to see how it behaved again. Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

Indeed, I'd almost kill for a steady 1800-odd sync  Cheesy That was straight into the test socket with the DG834, but it didn't last very long
Done some more tests with the 7700N
test socket + good cable: 736kbps @ 9.8db
test socket + standard cable: 768kbps @ 9.6db
new faceplate filter + good cable: 736kbps @ 9.6db
new faceplate filter + good cable + phone: 736kbps @ 4.2db, then lost connection and resynced at, 384kbps @ 9.6db
unplugged the phone and got: 384kbps @ 11.8db
back to pigtailed filter in the test socket + phone: 640kbps@10db
I have tried with and without the phone plugged in before and it has had no effect, so it may have been coincidence the connection dropped at the same time.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What about trying it with the DG834 again? Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

Yes, that's the next step. It was worth trying combinations of cables and filters with the Billion because it would keep the margin fairly steady whilst doing so.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

OK, well thanks for working with me on this. Let me know how it goes with the Netgear Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

I came back to a sync of 608kbps @ 9.3db
I plugged the Netgear into the test socket, and got 1216 @ 12db. Then tried assorted new filters with syncs between 416 and 960, and am now back to the original faceplate filter, which is syncing at 1152 @ 12db  Roll_eyes
I haven't time to do any more this evening, so it will have to stay like that for now.
I am becoming increasingly convinced that most filters are rubbish, and that this Billion is faulty.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm surprised your Netgear is performing better, but it just goes to show. Leave it as it is now and I'll check it in the morning and take it from there. Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

Update: there is still something wrong here.
I have been running Routerstats (under Wine on Linux) for the last couple of weeks so I could have a better idea of what is going on. The noise margin will sometimes be fairly steady for a couple of days, then the graph starts looking like a cross-section through the Himalayas. There is no apparent pattern to it. When it gets low enough for the connection to drop, the only way I can get it to resync at anything higher than 160kbps is to either
1. disconnect via the router GUI
2. unplug the filter
3. connect to the test socket,
4. reconnect (typically at 1100 to 1200kbps)
5. disconnect
6. plug the filter back in
7. reconnect again
or
1. disconnect
2. swap the filter for a different one
3. reconnect
The second method is slightly less annoying than the first, but the several filters I have all connect at different rates and only one will let me connect at over 1000kbps.
I can disconnect and reconnect until I am blue in the face, but it is always stuck at 160kbps unless I fiddle about as above. I then have to wait another 24 hours or so for the profile to lift.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately you're stuck with a 135k profile at the moment, most likely due to a very intermittent connection. Given the testing that's been done so far I'd raise a fault straight through - http://faults.plus.net
We'll pick it up from there and get it sorted for you.