cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh, not again!

Denzil
Grafter

Oh, not again!

My connection is back to syncing at 160kbps. The router reports 12db noise margin and 63db attenuation. At that margin it would normally be syncing much higher.
Do I need to raise another ticket? Cry
33 REPLIES 33
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Oh, not again!

Quote from: Denzil
Do I need to raise another ticket?

That depends. Are you using an extension socket/cable. Can you plug into the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

No extensions. The router is plugged with a short lead into a filtered faceplate. I have CAT5 from the router to the PC upstairs. I have plugged into the test socket (I know, I should have tried that first :)) and its now syncing at 1312kbps. I'm not convinced it wouldn't have done that with a restart anyway, but I'll have to do a few tests to see what happens.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Denzil,
You may be right but filtered faceplates can sometimes cause issues too. Just need to wait for the profile to pick up now.
Jojo Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

I swapped the faceplate for a standard one with a new plug-in filter and a new cable to the router. It connected at 12 hundred and something at first. I was away Friday afternoon and Saturday, and came back to find it sitting at 480kbps with a reported SNR margin flickering between 0 and 1db. I reconnected again, and it is now 1152kbps at 12db. The BT Speedtester won't run, and the PN profile is 250kbps, with an actual throughput of about half that.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Denzil,
For some reason the profile didn't pick up as it should 250k is our lowest profile but BT's is 135k and this is currently what it is set at. I'll look into what's happening and see what I can find out.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Denzil,
It's improved a little, but not as much as I'd have liked. Can you plug into the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

I've just got back from work, and it was syncing at about 830kbps. I plugged it into the test socket and am now syncing at 1856kbps at 7db SNR. This I like :), if it stays that way. Did you do anything at your end? I don't want to disturb it just yet for fear of it seeing too many disconnections, but the next step is to put it all back as normal and see what happens.
BT really needs to allow us some means of fiddling about without the exchange seeing it as a fault! Have a word, would you, Jo? Smiley
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Denzil - when you installed the CAT5 cable from downstairs to upstairs - was it a pre-ended patch cable or did you "brew your own" and install RJ45 plugs/sockets yourself?  If it was the latter  did you make sure you put the correct conductor wires in the correct pins/holes.  If you use a non standard cable configuration it can make the LAN wiring susceptible to electrical noise.- it still works but the speed is degraded. I've learned this the hard way many moons ago.

[Tongue in cheek mode on:] CAT5 cable is susceptible to gravitational pull on the electrons. Make sure the tiny arrows on the cable are pointing in the direction of the download traffic flow [Tongue in cheek mode off:]
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Denzil
Grafter

Maybe that's the problem - I do live at the top of a hill  Smiley
I know twisted pairs only work if they are actually paired correctly, but it is an off-the-shelf patch cable anyway.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Denzil,
yes I reset the SNR as it was really high. This may have been caused by wiring problems and the fact that your sync jumped up by over 1000k when you plugged into the test socket just goes to show that it will be a wiring/faceplate issue and definitely not exchange related. Just need to wait for the profile to pick up now.
Jojo Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

So, to make sure there were no internal problems, I have bought a new filtered faceplate, a new good quality twisted pair cable, and, for good measure, relocated the phone so it now plugs straight into the faceplate and does away with the extension cable. By this time the sync rate had gone down to 12 hundred and some. After fitting the new stuff on Friday afternoon, it went down to 512kbps at a reported 9db margin. I came back from a day out this evening to find it at 480kbps at a margin fluctuating between 7 and 12db. I unplugged the phone and reconnected - no difference.
I have gone back to the test socket and it is now 1056kbps at 11, no, 12, no, 10, no, 12 .. the router can't make up its mind. I need the phone, or else I would leave it in the test socket! I'd like to try plugging the faceplate back in, but  daren't yet in case another disconnection sends the margin up. What's next - a new router? It is a DG834 v3, which is a few years old now. I have two 2wire HGV2700s, but one won't connect at all even though brand new, and the other is decidedly unwell.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You should be fine to test with a filter in the test socket and the phone plugged in there with the router, does that help at all?
Denzil
Grafter

That's effectively what I have: a filtered faceplate, which plugs into the test socket, and just has the router and phone plugged into it. Just to clarify, the original extension cable for the phone was plugged into the faceplate, not hardwired. It is unplugged, so is out of the equation completely.
I put the faceplate back in this morning just so theanswerphone would work, but haven't checked the sync rate yet.
Denzil
Grafter

OK, just got back, and it was syncing at 448kbps at 4db. Went back to a pigtailed filter in the test socket and got 896kbps at 12db.