cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd dual-router setup: How to get the stats from the modem

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Odd dual-router setup: How to get the stats from the modem

In my total impatience to get fibre, I ended up getting a router that would handle fibre in a couple of months time (its a Netgear WNDR4000) - since im using ADSL, I just dumbed down my DG834G as per http://vpncasestudy.com/download/DG/DG834_Tips100.pdf - all worked excellent.
So, I switched off the wireless and connected the WNDR4000 to the DG834G. Internet light came on. All worked excellent. But theres a catch:
Since ive turned off wireless, I cant get routerstats anymore! Ive tried connecting via ethernet, that doesnt help whatsoever, page just times out.
If anyones got this kind of setup, let me know if (and how) you can get the stats from the routerlogin page.
Cheers.
3 REPLIES 3
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Re: Odd dual-router setup: How to get the stats from the modem

Hi there,
Basically, you have to set the IP address of the DG834G to be in the same address range as the WNDR4000 (e.g. 192.168.0....) but make sure it is out of the range of the IP addresses that the router assigns (I believe the default is 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254) and give it an IP address out of that range. You need to connect another ethernet cable to the second port on the DG834G and connect it to the WNDR4000 and you should be able to access it.
Let us know if that works.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Router Fan (sjrinfroyle);
You are the definition of epic.
It worked. Cant thank you enough! Saved me quite a lot of time working out how to do that. It didnt occour to me to connect it up like that.
Cheers man!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Although you're not allowed to do it it is possible (ahem) to unlock the BT Fibre modem (not that you would, of course) and connect it in the same manner to gather stats from your fibre connection.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.