Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Speedtest readings (0 upload) and occasional slow internet

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Odd Speedtest readings (0 upload) and occasional slow internet

As I have no confidence now in the current 582n I have been using as it is several years old and is misbehaving can you arrange for a new router please Anoush so i can hook it up if needs be. I am aware I may have to pay P&P

Sure. I'll update your fault ticket now. Can you let us know you're happy with the P&P fee by replying to it online?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Jon,

One thing to consider is that (I would contend) the 582n is the last really good router (in comparison) provided by Plusnet.  Everything since has come out of the BT stable which (the cynic in me believes) has been slugged to inhibit end user examination of line stats, in the way which you can with the 582n.

For what it is worth, I am still using the 582n which has the reputation of doing a good job of hanging on to DSL on marginal lines.  I find it very stable, my line is a lot longer that yours and my present 5mbps is about the best it gets.  Currently DSL session is 55 days; PPP session is 9 days - the latter I suspect down to something in the network as opposed to my local connection.

Personally I would not bother with the "newer" PN routers; they do their job OK as a basic router, but if you want something you can get diagnostics out of, I would look elsewhere.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

No, happy with another 582n as it is good for stats. I just find its wifi performance poor when confronted by 20+ devices as we have here. I have a few and they are all the same. I can live with it though if line gets worse and I need to use it to get more data. Its just the one I have is old and I suspect has problems after it threw its hand in last week. I wouldn't be happy just to reset it and hope that there is nothing wrong with it.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No, happy with another 582n as it is good for stats.

We can't send out a replacement 582n I'm afraid.

It'd be a Sagemcom 2704N.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Plusnet do not have 582n available.

May be you should start a new topic for the wifi aspect.  There is stuff t be looked at there.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @Townman but have tried before and all wifi problems went away (after 2 582's) when I went to the TP Link. No point me having anything I can't run routerstats on so cancel replacement pls Anoush and I will think again.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Well, as an update @Townman and @Gandalf

After my last post things got much better. so much so I ordered fibre. Hub one installed on 18/12 and no drops until 28/12 when switched to fibre. Fibre then solid with no drops until today. now had 5 in last 3 hours. I know weather has been bad in the last 24 hours but it was grim over xmas at times and it didn't drop. These drops do not coincide with any phone use. Now beginning to drive me nuts and wish I could get to the bottom of in. see noise stats below. Should I now put thread in fibre or leave it here?

RSHub-NoiseMargin-20180103-203201.jpg

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Can you see these recent drops at your end @Gandalf?

Just wondering that maybe it is not an actual drop but a problem with my ethernet switch and routerstats not logging properly. The kids didn't moan which is unusual and they are connected via Wifi. One of my printers connected to the same switch is also misbehaving.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Jon

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You could check the router log yourself to see if the WAN and/or DSL disconnected.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks,

hadn't thought of that hadn't hadn't discovered how far back log on hub one goes compared to my old TP-link.

Seems the connection wasn't dropped so will sort out switch.