Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Speed Issues

zombies
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Odd Speed Issues

Evening,
I've put in a ticket to Plusnet regarding my speed issues, but I thought if I posted here, others may have had something similar or someone may be able to provide some information to help me explain this infuriating issue.
Firstly - some background.
My line has been working mostly ok since moving here (approx 2 years ago). Following a major BT outage back in April this year, my broadband service was up and down, when it was up - it was slow and intermittent.
I raised a ticket with Plusnet and they seemed to be unable to find a problem, despite trying various things.
Long story short - a BT engineer visit was required.
The engineer tested my line and said there should be no reason why my broadband should be:
a) As slow as it is
b) As unstable
He requested that plusnet enable interleaving on my line (I think he asked for medium interleaving).
A few days later and my speeds went from around 3.2Mbp/s to a lovely 5.4Mbp/s.
My sync speeds were up in the high 7000/early 8000s.
This continued until about a month ago (perhaps longer, but I generally don't monitor my speed as I'm happy as long as it works).
Another outage caused my broadband to drop in speed and stability once again, this was a series of outages around the start of September (not just my exchange, but others as well).
After all was apparently OK, my speed was 'stuck' at around 3.2Mbp/s, it was stable, but watching youtube videos was hit or miss, sometimes I could watch them without issue, other times it kept buffering.
(I tried this on IE 9 and Firefox 3.6.28)
After submitting a ticket, my line was 'locked' (or similar) so that it couldn't get a decent IP profile. This was reset and my line was set into training mode.
My speed went from 3.2Mbp/s to around 3.6Mbp/s and sometimes peaked at 3.9Mbp/s.
Through training mode, my sync speed jumped about from mid 6000, to high 4000.
Whilst trying to recover and get back my previously good speeds of 5.xMbp/s, I've had issues with my line, dropping out (not disconnecting at the router end, but having absolutely no bandwidth at all). It would 'stall' for 5-10 minutes and then start working again.
Rebooting my router corrected the problem, but my speed is still low compared to what I had.
Now, if my speed is going to stay as it is - then there's little I can do about it, but I'd love some idea as to how it can go from 5.xMbp/s to drop like a stone down to around 3.2Mbp/s? We've had no equipment changes here at home, the router has not been changed or modified.
Now for the technical bits and pieces:
All PCs are cabled to the router (Cat 5), we have no wireless devices.
The current information for my connection is as follows:
Exchange - Bickington (WWBCKN)
Router - Netgear DGND3300v2 (ADSL2+ capable)
Noise Margin - 5.1db (Downstream) and 20.0db (Upstream)
Speed - 5216kbps (Downstream) and 448kbps (Upstream)
Attenuation - 37db (Downstream) and 20.0 (Upstream)
Current Line Speed: 4Mb
Throughput (Speedtest.net) - 3.7Mbp/s Download and 0.37Mbp/s Upload (All speed indicators are taken from speedtest.net)
Throughput (BT speedtest):
(Loading BT speedtest was an ordeal in itself, it seems so very very slow)
Speed - 3.55Mbp/s
Connection Rate - 5.22Mbps (Downstream) and 0.45Mbps (Upstream)
IP Profile - 4.5Mbps
I cannot test the router in the test socket as it is on an extension socket, moving the router to the test socket would mean I have no way to test it as I cannot move a PC and such to be near the router.
If it's absolutely essential to test at the test socket, I will have to see if I can find a 20-25m Cat 5 cable.
I hope this is enough information to give me some idea or even a wild guess as to what is going on.
Anything at all would be appreciated.