cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now on FTTC! :) However strange speed test results...

c0dec
Grafter

Now on FTTC! :) However strange speed test results...

Had FTTC installed this morning, so after the engineer went I tried a few speed tests on my laptop, these peeked at 42mbit using the speedtest.net test on the Maidenhead server. Very happy considering im on a 40/2 connection! Anyway, went up to my PC used the same server on the same speedtest site and I had 32mbit... strange. Plugged my laptop into the same cat5 my PC uses and its showing 42mbit again!! Updated my NIC drivers to the latest version from Intel and its now hitting 37mbit, although it seems to instantly go there and not move at all, almost though its being limited. Now don't get me wrong im more than happy with 37mbit but I find it very strange that my laptop is reporting 5mbit faster using exactly the same cable, the same speedtest site and the same speedtest server... Not sure what to try next, is 37mbit a 'true' speed that I have and my laptop is somehow showing it higher than it should be? According to the BT speedtester site my profile is 38mbit, the bt wholesale site says I can get 65mbit max so I would assume I would be at the top scale of the speed profiles.
Dan
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Now on FTTC! :) However strange speed test results...

Are they both using the same operating system
The reason for asking is that the various versions of Windows handle the MTU setting differently.
On XP you have to manually change it
c0dec
Grafter

PC is on Win 7 64bit and the laptop is on Win XP 32bit, so from what your saying my laptop should actually show slower? :S
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Try the TBB speed test and how that compares http://www.thinkbroadband.com/
c0dec
Grafter

PC:
35mbit on TBB
37mbit on speedtest.net
Surely my laptop must be lieing to say im getting 42mbit!? My profile is only 38mbit!
Would you say 37mbit is a top end result on up to 40mbit result? Im unsure of what exactly I should get tbh.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Yes,
37Mb/sec is about the maximum realistic throughput on a 40Mb/sec FTTC, the laptop is exaggerating!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.