cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Novice needing help!

Velveteen
Dabbler

Novice needing help!

I have been on Plusnet for a couple of months now and I am very happy with the service.  However, I can't connect via Broadband and I can only connect via LAN - High speed Internet.  When I try to connect via Broadband it comes up with
Error 678.  The remote computer did not respond.
It says under the broadband WAN Miniport PPPOE.
I have absolutely no idea what any of this means!  I have selected the broadband to be my primary connection but it's just not having any of it.
Can anybody help me out!
14 REPLIES 14
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Novice needing help!

LAN is Local Area Network.
If your local area network is connected to the internet on a high speed connection then you have broadband.
You haven't given any details of your setup or location but I'm guessing that you are using a wireless router. In that case, you connect to the router via an ethernet LAN, i.e. the router opens up a network that you can use to connect other computers. Your computer is connected by that network to your ISP at broadband speeds.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you maybe upgraded from a USB-connected broadband modem to a LAN-connected router and not "cleaned up" the old configurations?
Anyway, as Geewiz asked, please confirm your equipment and connections first.
Velveteen
Dabbler

Wow, thanks for the fast reply!
I am connected via an Ethernet cable and my modem is a BT Voyager 2091 supplied by plus net (it says wireless on it but there are cables coming out of it - I told you I was a novice!).  
I figured that I wasn't linked via broadband because it takes a while for pages to load and I like to watch TV online (tv shows and football via streaming sites) and they take forever to load, it play for a couple of seconds and then pauses (buffering I think).  I have all the software needed to run these streams so I am completely at a lost.  I have just done a speedtestBT (which was advised on here) and the results are:
Downstream 3680kbps
Upstream 448 kbps
IP profile for the line 135 kbps.
I also tried to download an album I bought off iTunes last night and it actually stopped (proably got bored!), even individual songs seem to take forever.  It used to be great but in recent times the speed etc has been varied.  
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The fact that your IPrate is 135kbps is the problem - it is limiting your speed to 135kbps (only a bit faster than dialup).
As this is a new broadband installation my guess is that when you first connected you had an unfiltered phone/dialup modem/Skybox.
This would have given a very low synch speed and hence the IP ratee.
It will take about 3 to 4 days to get back up to 3000kbps if your present synch is maintained
Velveteen
Dabbler

Thanks oldjim, how do I fix the problem though?.  I think I have been with Plus net For about 5 months and it was fine when I had it first installed so I don't actually know what to do next.  Whe I first connected I had filters on all the phone outlets.
paulby
Grafter

There's not a lot you can do except make sure that everything that plugs into the phone line goes through a filter - that includes Sky boxes etc. (a lot of Sky installers will plug the filter into the socket on the front of the plug that they supply instead of plugging their plug into the filter - make sure it goes Filter>Sky extension).
You'll need to wait up to three days for your IP profile to rise back up - that's just the way BT's systems work!
HPsauce
Pro

You have several things going on here that are actually separate, so try not to confuse them.
Your router is connected to Broadband. You are using Broadband. BUT it is running VERY slow.
As OldJim says there is a reason for this, but we don't know what it is, it's probably a temporary glitch that has gone away.
Your router is now connected at a good speed, but because of the "glitch" BT's equipment has temporarily slowed your line down; it should clear within 3 days.
Keep an eye on the BT Speed test results. The Downstream/Upstream speeds should stay (roughly) the same and (eventually) the IP Profile (BT's speed control) will increase to around 3000.
The connection between your PC and the router is probably a red herring, ignore it until the above is resolved.
Velveteen
Dabbler

Ok guys, I feel a bit of an idiot now!  I have just double checked all my filters and realised I hadn't put a filter on the Sky phone line  Embarrassed
I have now put a filter on it so we shall see how that affects the internet connection.  What can I say!  i am a typically impatient female who just hates gadgets or anything technical!
I thank you so much for helping me out  Smiley
timlake
Grafter

Hey you came to the forum to ask for help, so at least the female trait for asking directions shone through
HPsauce
Pro

Sky boxes are infamous for generating glitches.
Many people double-filter them and find this helps.
Velveteen
Dabbler

Asking for help and more importantly directions is something us females excel at!
I actually have a spare filter so maybe I should double filter it to be on the safe side, I may aswell if it won't do any harm.
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Certainly no harm to it, all the filter box does is keep the signal going through the "phone" socket side away from the signal going through the "broadband" side.  The main reason for this is because dialup connections (phone calls or modem data) only use a fraction of the signal range that the line provides, but when you make/recive calls the device that's pluged in can spike the signal usage, thus disconnect your broadband.  so using mutiple filters on the phone socket side is fine and dandy, it's just that you can never plug the broadband into anything other than the initial filter at any given socket.
On a personal note: I always used to just leave the sky box un-pluged for the majority of the time anyways (stuff the part of the contract that sais you MUST leave it connected for the first 12 months), and would only plug it in if there was somthing I really wanted to get from the interactive site.
And Oldjim you lucky dawg - I only ever got dialup at 56Kb/s and bellow Tongue
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Velveteen
Asking for help and more importantly directions is something us females excel at!
I actually have a spare filter so maybe I should double filter it to be on the safe side, I may aswell if it won't do any harm.

Advise from plusnet you should NEVER double filter any broadband products
puddy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think you are misunderstanding the suggestion.
It is to double filter the non broadband items such as a Sky Box.
It is well known that double filtering some products such as a fax machine can have major benefits.