cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure if I should be happy and except it or not...

bluetba
Dabbler

Not sure if I should be happy and except it or not...

I did post a while back trying to decide if I should be happy with the speeds I was getting and decided then that I would take it up with Plusnet - the result of that being a 1.5mb increase after setting the SNR margin on my line from 15db to 6db.
I am now connect at between 4.2 and 4.8 generally but still think I could get more, the problem I have is that they are telling me that it is "well within limits for my service" and so if an engineer comes out and finds nothing they  will charge me £144 +vat.
How likely are BT to charge for this? it is well below the "upto" 24mb but is connected and is stable.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Not sure if I should be happy and except it or not...

Please post the stats from your router - speed, attenuation and noise margin.
itsme
Grafter

Speed is dependant on the distance you are from the exchange. the speeds that you have quoted  place you approximately 4km from the exchange. If this assumption for the distance is correct then reporting a problem to BT will not achieve much as they will not be able to improve it.
Read http://freeola.com/adsl2-21cn-rollout/
bluetba
Dabbler

Thanks for replying,  My distance from the exchange is 1.5km
And here are my router stats - you may notice that it says that the mode I am using is ADSL2 - it jumps between ADSL2 and ADSL2+ depending on time of day, sometimes in the morning it will connect using ADSL2+ but at night it is always ADSL2.
--------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------
Running Mode            : ADSL2(G.992.3)      State                : SHOWTIM
DS Actual Rate                :  4878000 bps  US Actual Rate          :  1102000 bps
DS Attainable Rate          :  4904000 bps  US Attainable Rate  :  1104000 bps
DS Path Mode                  :  Interleave        US Path Mode            :  Interleave
NE Current Attenuation  :      40 dB          Cur SNR Margin        :  9  dB
DS actual PSD                  :    19. 2 dB        US actual PSD            :  12. 7  dB
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation :      23 dB    Far SNR Margin      :        6  dB
itsme
Grafter

It only use ADSL2+ if the line can handle the higher frequencies, i.e speeds above 8000kbps.
With a 40dB attenuation the maximum speed checkers give your line length at 2.9km and a approximation sync rate of 9024kbps.
Have you read http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm especially about removing the ring wire?
bluetba
Dabbler

I have had a look at my face plate and have taken the off the NTE5 faceplate, I have no wires in there to remove the bell wire, the only place I could see those wires to remove are in the socket itself but I didn't think I was allowed to touch that as it is on BT's side?
Where is the best/cheapest place to get hold of an I-Plate? I have seen that they are about £10 on ebay.

Thanks
Chris
itsme
Grafter

Can you post a photo of the wiring.
BT will only terminate 2 wires in the master socket and if it's a NTE5 type you should not be able to see these wires. More information http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm
bluetba
Dabbler

The other half has the camera so had to use my phone and thats not the best. anyway if they are no good let me know and I will use the camera when she gets back.
At the moment you will see that I am plugged into the test socket as requested by CS and I haven't put it back as yet.
Yes you are right it looks as though only two wires are connected.
itsme
Grafter

As you have no extension wiring it's probably not worth spending money on the iplate as this is specifically designed to filter out the noise pick up on the ring wire.
My only suggestion at this point is to try another modem/router to see if this sync at a higher speed.
bluetba
Dabbler

Will give it ago and if its still low I might push to take it up with BT, thanks for your help.
bluetba
Dabbler

Well I decided to get on with it and replace my router while I was thinking about it and have installed a Netgear DG834GT.
Now I connect at 6.2!!  Smiley
Time will tell how it goes but that is better.
I did have a Draytek 2820 - how mad is that the draytek cost £180 - the netgear was free from Sky otherwise about £40.