Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not much better than dial up !!!!

spannerjago
Dabbler

Re: Not much better than dial up !!!!

Quote from: jelv
Can you plug the router directly in to the test socket without it going through the Belkin SurgeMaster and post that Routerstats page for us to compare please.

Here are the router stats with the router plugged straight into the test socket via the filter.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I think this is a summary of your results
Speed          Noise Margin
1408kbps        12 dB              normal setup
3776kbps          7 dB            test socket with belkin
4384kbps          9 dB              test socket without belkin
The immediate conclusion is that it is your internal wiring  which is messing things up providing the router will hold that sync speed.
The results using the test socket and the surgemaster were a bit worse so that may be contributing to the problem
spannerjago
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
Also to clarify -
Am I correct in assumimg then that there is no fixed wiring from the rear of the removeable front plate of the master socket?
In other wrods, when your router/belkin cables are not plugged in, if there are wires from the rear of the removeable plate that go to other fixed sockets elsewhere in the house, If there are, please describe what there is, if you have a digital camers, pictures may help.
Also, it would appear you have some sort of intermittent fault. Results from any throughput speed testers,  BT, ThinkBroadband, or speedtest.net (the latter not being the most reliable anyway) are of no interest at this point. The Netgear stats of the ADSL link are the primary interest
Until your sync speed (DSL Connection rate/speed) goes up to where it should be and is stable, then you will not have a stable IP profile nor 'data transfer rate' at the portal, and hence you 'throughput' will be low.
For future use, you could try logging into the Metronet portal instead of the PN one - http://portal.metronet.co.uk/index_nlp.html and look for the Data Tranfer Rate (Profile/might be incorrectly called Line Rate) somewhere in your Broadband settings.
To get to the bottom of this problem you will need to be precise and methodical in what you do and report.
Please carry out the test jelv has requested remembering
Rather than just unplugging the router from the line, it's always best to power it down and wait at least a minute before unplugging the line.

I have attached a picture of my socket which shows the router wired to the filter and into the test socket. I also understand what you mean now and yes I do have other sockets in the house so there is wiring leading to other phone sockets in the house.
I always log in through the Metronet portal as I can't seem to get into the PN portal but nowhere can I find Data Transfer Rate or Line Rate. I also always power down the router before doing anything with regards to unplugging or plugging in.
Once again thanks for any help provided. I really have no idea about the ins and outs of BB despite being fairly techy and realise how frustrating it can be dealing with someone who doesn't understand something that may be second nature to you.
spannerjago
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
I think this is a summary of your results
Speed          Noise Margin
1408kbps         12 dB               normal setup
3776kbps           7 dB             test socket with belkin
4384kbps           9 dB              test socket without belkin
The immediate conclusion is that it is your internal wiring  which is messing things up providing the router will hold that sync speed.
The results using the test socket and the surgemaster were a bit worse so that may be contributing to the problem

Cool. So it appears something is wrong with my surge protector or with my master socket. Is that right?
If I can get decent speeds and noise margins with the test socket and without the belkin my router must be fine. So do I get a new belkin or try getting a BT guy to replace the master socket?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No there is probably nothing wrong with your master socket.
There are two separate problems - your Belkin and the internal wiring of which the internal wiring is the most serious.
You appear to have two cables leading from the removable faceplate to other sockets in the house.
Do you have two other telephone sockets and are both/either of them in use.
spannerjago
Dabbler

I have 3 or even 4 other phone sockets in the house. The only other one in use has the house phone connected in the living room.
Any wiring would have been done when the house was extended and renovated before we moved in 4 years ago. What I don't understand is that I have been with metronet all that time with the same set up and haven't had problems like this before. Can this kind of thing just happen?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am not an expert on wiring but it seem as though the two cables each use multiple cores to feed several sockets
Going back to the test socket have you tried connecting your phone to the filter connected to the test socket and seeing if it makes any difference
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Might you recently have put some electrical equipment near any of the extension wiring?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sky?
spannerjago
Dabbler

I do have Sky and always have done. I haven't added any new electrical equipment anywhere and certainly not near the socket.
I'll try plugging the phone into the master socket and see if that makes any difference.
Cheers for the help guys and I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you know where the Sky telephone is linked into the system and is it filtered (it is used to report back to HQ) it is not unusual for the Sky Fitter to direct link it in, but that is a no no with broadband
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: spannerjago
I do have Sky and always have done. I haven't added any new electrical equipment anywhere and certainly not near the socket.

If the wire used for the extensions isn't good the equipment wouldn't have to be near the socket - it could be anywhere near the wire between the master and any one of the extensions (it could be something you've had for ages that you've moved).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)