cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not much better than dial up !!!!

spannerjago
Dabbler

Not much better than dial up !!!!

Hi there, for about a week now and also at points last month I have had awful connection speeds.
In theory I should be getting 2.0 Mbps but recent tests have shown just 0.2 Mbps. Can someone have a look for me and tell me if it's something at my end?
I subscribe to Metronet PAYGo Option 3.
My router is a Netgear DG834G and I have a wired PC and a wireless laptop running off it. It has the latest firmware. These are the stats it is showing me:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1408 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 46 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 12 db 21 db
I have done several speed tests.
thinkbroadband shows:
Date  26/03/09 19:41:49
Speed Down 242.13 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )
Speed Up 377.20 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.thinkbroadband.com
speedtest.net shows:

The bt speedtester shows:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 1408 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 12 kbps
Is their any other info I need to give. It is almost unusable at the moment.
Any help given will be much appreciated.
26 REPLIES 26
scootie
Grafter

Re: Not much better than dial up !!!!

can you try connecting to the test socket and post your stats from there as with a line atten of 46db you should be gettin a better sync than that and i suspect your internal wiring is causing a problem

can you post these set of stats after you have done this
ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    1408 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    46 db    15.5 db
Noise Margin    12 db    21 db
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Also post the current line speed result from here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Given your attenuation/noise margin and speed something is adrift and this plus the info requested by Asbo Dog will give us an idea as to what is happening
spannerjago
Dabbler

Right here's the router stats using the test socket.
Connection Speed  3776 kbps  448 kbps
Line Attenuation 48 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 7 db 19 db
Off to do the other thing now.
spannerjago
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
Also post the current line speed result from here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Given your attenuation/noise margin and speed something is adrift and this plus the info requested by Asbo Dog will give us an idea as to what is happening

I'm unable to log into the plusnet portal. I suspect it's because I'm an old metronet customer. I've tried all kinds of login combos. email, broadband username etc and it doesn't find me.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Lets try the hard way what does this give http://speedtester.bt.com/
As a first comment - those results indicate a problem with your internal wiring
spannerjago
Dabbler

This is using the test socket:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 3776 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 25 kbps
Not using the test socket can be seen on the first post.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

This result reflects the low sync speed you reported first.
Can you describe the internal wiring setup from the master socket as we need to sort that out before doing anything else.
Which model DG834G  do you have (e.g. V4)
One other thing were the speed tests using the wireless or wired connection
spannerjago
Dabbler

This result reflects the low sync speed you reported first.
Can you describe the internal wiring setup from the master socket as we need to sort that out before doing anything else.
Which model DG834G  do you have (e.g. V4)
One other thing were the speed tests using the wireless or wired connection

The router is a v1 with v3.01.38 firmware.
All test were done on my wired connection.
My wiring is as follows. Line from socket to Belkin SurgeMaster, then through filter, then line to router. I have had this set up for the 4 years I have been at the house with few problems and the BT socket was installed when we moved in.
Just like to add that I appreciate the prompt replies and help.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Am I correct in assumimg then that there is no fixed wiring from the rear of the removeable front plate of the master socket?
How long is the cable that you normally use from the Master to the Belkin SurgeMaster?
Rather than just unplugging the router from the line, it's always best to power it down and wait at least a minute before unplugging the line.
Can you post Router Stats with the Router plugged into the Belkin, but the Belkin plugged into the test socket?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

We need to get a bit more information about error rates as the speeds you are seeing in the tests indicates something is badly adrift. As your router is supported by Routerstats can you download and install it from here http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
This will allow you to graph the error rates and the noise margin changes.
It will also give this sort of information which will give an indication if things are a lot adrift - this is from my router using an earlier version
spannerjago
Dabbler

Sorry, been away for a few days so a bit slow in replying.
Quote from: Anotherone
Am I correct in assumimg then that there is no fixed wiring from the rear of the removeable front plate of the master socket?
How long is the cable that you normally use from the Master to the Belkin SurgeMaster?
Rather than just unplugging the router from the line, it's always best to power it down and wait at least a minute before unplugging the line.
Can you post Router Stats with the Router plugged into the Belkin, but the Belkin plugged into the test socket?

No, I do have wiring from the plate to the socket. The cable from the master to the belkin is about a metre long.
The router stats previously posted were with the router into the belkin and the belkin into the test socket.
We need to get a bit more information about error rates as the speeds you are seeing in the tests indicates something is badly adrift. As your router is supported by Routerstats can you download and install it from here http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
This will allow you to graph the error rates and the noise margin changes.
It will also give this sort of information which will give an indication if things are a lot adrift - this is from my router using an earlier version

I have attached a shot of my stats on the same page as yours. Thing is, it means nothing to me. I have no idea what I'm looking at. I just want my connection speed back the way it was! What sort of things should I be looking at?

The wife tells me this is the best its been for the last few days. (Shes getting annoyed as it's interfering with her Facebooking! LOL)
spannerjago
Dabbler

Anyone?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can you plug the router directly in to the test socket without it going through the Belkin SurgeMaster and post that Routerstats page for us to compare please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Also to clarify -
In other wrods, when your router/belkin cables are not plugged in, if there are wires from the rear of the removeable plate that go to other fixed sockets elsewhere in the house, If there are, please describe what there is, if you have a digital camers, pictures may help.
Also, it would appear you have some sort of intermittent fault. Results from any throughput speed testers,  BT, ThinkBroadband, or speedtest.net (the latter not being the most reliable anyway) are of no interest at this point. The Netgear stats of the ADSL link are the primary interest
Until your sync speed (DSL Connection rate/speed) goes up to where it should be and is stable, then you will not have a stable IP profile nor 'data transfer rate' at the portal, and hence you 'throughput' will be low.
For future use, you could try logging into the Metronet portal instead of the PN one - http://portal.metronet.co.uk/index_nlp.html and look for the Data Tranfer Rate (Profile/might be incorrectly called Line Rate) somewhere in your Broadband settings.
To get to the bottom of this problem you will need to be precise and methodical in what you do and report.
Please carry out the test jelv has requested remembering