cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not happy with speed, am I being slowed down?

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Not happy with speed, am I being slowed down?

if the router wifi support 150Mbps then this should get around 75Mbps, if the wifi support 300Mbps and should get around 150Mbps. If the wifi get 54Mbps and get around 27Mbps,
dick:quote
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The test results show it's just about possible, in ideal conditions, to get around 80Mbps wireless throughput from the 582n.
The 582n wireless has a maximum setting for 300, but it's configured to 130 by default. http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#tweaks
You need a "N300" or better device to get the best speed from the 582n.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Plusnet should provide customer a better Netgear DGND3700v2 wireless router (one far the best)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

and at around £80 per unit, the cost for the service would go up considerably. Things aren't always as clear cut as they seem, as we've said before the router we supply is more than adequate for the vast majority of our users, and those it isn't suitable for are more than welcome to buy their own.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
picbits
Rising Star

I bought my own (actually I have 5 routers here) and the best I can manage with my laptop (Toshiba C850 with a Wireless N card in) is around 36Mb down and 18Mb up. My connection is currently around 68Mb/s.
If I use my wired connection then I get the full speed.
This is with a TP-Link Router 300Mbs running DDWRT
I have another access point which is an 150MB Edimax router hooked up to a Linux server and this gives similar speeds depending on where I am in the house. If I use a 300Mb/s wireless dongle I can get almost full speeds but this shows that it can be very very variable with wireless and even upgrading to better or branded routers doesn't always help the issue.
Real life wireless throughput is often very different to quoted figures and mine fluctuates quite wildly and can be affected by the neighbours wireless as we have to share channels.
MW45
Grafter

So why does plus net supply a router that is not capable of producing the full speed specially wireless? They don't tell you that before you sign up!