Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not happy with Plusnet - Now Got DSL from BT

JRingrose
Grafter

Re: Not happy with Plusnet

Hi,
Sounds very similar to problems I had.  If you look on the saga I had in one way or another.  I too was bothered when the wireless router came with no disc etc and set up.  However the guys at PN explained how it wasn't required and talked me through the set up.  My system didn't work for ages or when it did intermittently.  PN pushed BT and they finally found a problem externally after 3 BT techs.  Tihs of course in reality wasn't PN's fault and they did work hard to get it fixed.
It took time but (hopefully) it is now working.  So try if you can to work with the PN guys.
gartmore
Dabbler

Tried again today and no difference. So either nothing has been done or whatever has been changed hasn't worked
James
Grafter

Hi Gartmore,
The order to move you to 1Mbps has definitely been completed.
Would you mind doing me a favour and visit http://faults.plus.net and complete the questions that it asks of you in there?  That way we can get some fairly detailed line tests which may be able to give an indication of what's going wrong.
I don't think that we should have to move you onto 512Kbps just to get you a working internet connection.
gartmore
Dabbler

There is no issue in the house, with any wiring, with any equipment.
Here's some info:
My son had plusnet in this house previously and had to get the dsl hard wired to the master socket to get 1Gb speed. This was requested by PN and BT.
This worked fine then his line was moved to another address. His dsl was fine at the other address and I asked to set up my own dsl in this house. PN seemed unable to connect me and after 2 months were ditched in favour of Tiscali who managed to get a dsl line within days.
Tiscali worked without a fault for appox 7 months and then that was moved to yet another address and there was no dsl in the house for 2 months.
For some reason I chose PN to supply a dsl line at the end of September and here we are, nearly Christmas, with no dsl.
If PN are unable to connect me for whatever reason then maybe they should take things up with BT. My house CAN get dsl without any need for ME to do anything as has been proven.
If it comes to it I will return to this post after going elsewhere to advise how quickly I get connected with another ISP. I'm 100% confident this will happen within days of getting my code and not months. Wink

gartmore
Dabbler

Just downgrade me to 512
I know that this will work with a regular modem in any socket with a filter assuming I genuinely have a dsl supply.
No need to send any modems as I have several to try and also several filters.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I've placed the order to downgrade you to 512Kbps, but I'm not convinced that this will fix the fault.
mcgurka
Grafter

Right ok, well, I completely agree, to downgrade the speed will most likely not solve the problem, only prolong an existing one.
This may sound a silly question, do you live in a wet area? Sometimes water on the lines can cause a problem as well. If this is the case, then you would hear intermittent crackling at some points in a phone call.
To check this, dial 17070 to access BT line test facilities and pick option 2 for a quiet line test.
Is there still a loop on the line, if so then do you have any phone service? If you do, there is no loop on the line at all, a loop would short out, and essentially make the phone number constantly busy, with no dial tone.
It is possible there could be an intermittent DP, MDF or dropwire fault, but that is BT's responsibility to sort out.
Could be that the routers are naff as well, worked with a few hg1800's with BT and I dont rate the 2wire series at all.
My old premises had 2 connections, one with an office connect, synched at 6.5Megs, and one with an 1800, synched at 1 Meg. Same line length, exchange, everything!
Anyway, if you want some help checking the actual lines, give me a PM, and i will try and go through some line loss checking / wiring & polarity checks with you.
Scott
gartmore
Dabbler

Still not got any service and not a single second of use out of PN.
Settling my account and will advise how quickly I get online on my return from overseas in a couple of months.
I have a friend with PN account so if needs be will post up via her username and then she'll be leaving too.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Gartmore,
Apologies for the hassle over this. We did not pursue the issue because we have not heard from you or anyone else regarding this account and so assumed that you were happy following the downgrade to 512k.
We can certainly raise this as an issue to BT and if a fault is found and rectified we will be able to offer you a refund of your service charges though unfortunately this is the only way we will be able to do such.
Many apologies for the inconvenience, please let us know.
gartmore
Dabbler

Surely you could have checked my useage and seen that I was not using it.
512 made no difference and I tried several modems and had no dsl light on any of them.
I've already aksed for my account to be closed so its too late to get BT out. Although I asked for this months ago and never even got a response.
Speaking to Trading Standards cos I'm unhappy that I have neen charged for several months but for what???
pierre_pierre
Grafter

seems to be one heck pf a time between postings!
« Reply #19 on 11/12/2007, 19:34 »

Posted on: 26/02/2008, 18:31
Posted by: gartmore

James
Grafter

Gartmore,
Then we pass a ticket back to you, we expect for you to inform us if you are still having a problem.  As we no longer have visibility of that ticket (because it is in your ownership) we do not actively check for further connections.
We're more than happy to waive any subscription fees you have paid during your period of downtime once the fault is fixed, but you really don't have a case with trading standards.  We haven't heard from you in over 2 months.
As I've said, we want to get the fault fixed for you but it does work both ways.
gartmore
Dabbler

Posting in defence of my mother. Who incidently is a very generous person devoting her retirement to helping people in dire need though her own charity and isn't home for long preiods hence the delay in replying and confusion that she had in fact told PN that the 512 hadn't worked.
I had a PN account at this house previously. This was moved to another house with no issue and is still active (not for long after this).
I later tried to get another PN dsl to this house and went though the exact same nonsense as my mother has. Eventually I had to pay to leave and joined Tiscali and nothing in the house was changed and I had a perfect dsl line within a week. I can't explain this but and it baffled me.
When my mother told me she had signed up with PN I did say this would happen but it was too late as she had already signed up and I thought maybe it wouldn't happen twice.
Now my mother was home for 2 months and spent a lot of that trying to get this dsl working. Constanly on dial up or on the phone to PN to try to sort this but nothing worked. My mother is very IT literate and has some techy friends and could see no reason for the fault.
When I had failed to get a PN dsl line I had asked for BT to investigate but was advised that this order must come from PN and it never happened. Thats when I decided to pay and leave.
I would never suggest that PN are 'at it' in any way but surely this could have been sorted in the 2 months my mother was home and working with PN. This is why I believe she has been let down as she tried everything PN suggested and was still being charged monthly until PN agreed to give her 2 moths FOC and she left hoping that this would be sorted in that time with my help visiting the house try suggestions.
She was sent more than 1 router and filters and I even tried my routers and filters that work perfectly. Forget about setting up PC and routers the line should be gving a solid dsl light without any real set up other than whatever PN and BT do.
Its a shame this has happened but my mother really does feel there is an injustice here and I know I'm biased but I tend to agree and my experience with PN was equally frustrating.
Not sure exactly but I think she has paid around £80 or there abouts to PN and not really got anywhere despite trying. Also theres the dial up bill she's unavoidably had and in hindsight she should have got dial up package but who would have predicted she'd go 2++ months after placing an order and still be waiting for dsl?
Anyone reading this may think we have missed something obvious and its our fault but as I said I had this problem and went elsewhere with instant success.
Only way to solve this is to migrate to another ISP and report back. I'll get back on that either way.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Only way to solve this is to migrate to another ISP and report back. I'll get back on that either way.

Hi Gartmore,
We can only investigate these issues if a fault is raised to us letting us know that the service is not working. As this was not (and indeed still has not been) done, there is nothing that we can do unfortunately, though if you would reconsider your migration out we can get this raised and either fixed or closed off and a refund issued.
Again, apologies for the inconvenience,
Not applicable

Quote from: gartmore
Constanly on dial up or on the phone to PN to try to sort this but nothing worked.

This statement does seem at odds with PNs statement that they haven't heard anything in the last two months - somebody must be mistaken surely - there either was or wasn't contact.
When I had failed to get a PN dsl line I had asked for BT to investigate but was advised that this order must come from PN and it never happened.

Its *extremely* unlikely that PN would send BT out to investigate if you haven't been in communication about a problem.
Not sure exactly but I think she has paid around £80 or there abouts to PN and not really got anywhere despite trying. Also theres the dial up bill she's unavoidably had and in hindsight she should have got dial up package but who would have predicted she'd go 2++ months after placing an order and still be waiting for dsl?

This paragraph again makes me suspect that there hasn't been a huge amount of communication with PN.
If your ADSL doesn't work, you are given access to a freephone dial-up number, so your mother wouldn't have been faced with a bill for dial-up costs at all.
Anyone reading this may think we have missed something obvious and its our fault but as I said I had this problem and went elsewhere with instant success.

I think you have missed something obvious!
Ask for help if you have an issue, otherwise folks don't know that you have problems and can't do anything to fix it.
It might go away if you go elsewhere, but you might have just the same problem too - its your choice of course, but I'd favour getting the people you have paid to connect you to actually get it connected.