cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal Upload speeds?

Interested
Grafter

Normal Upload speeds?

OK so I'm no technophobe but at the same time I'm far from knowledgeable. A few questions.
Going to test line for crackling again (17070 option 2) tomorrow as family reported problems yesterday.
1. Is upload speed dependent on the device you're using? (Guess this is a Yes)
2. Is upload of around 1 Mbps normal? (Bearing in mind it's nearly 4am!) (I'm aware 18 Mbps download is fine)
3. Any reason why I cannot access messages on ebay and other sites I'd like to upload to won't let me?
4. Why when my IP address is showing as UK did ITV player said we weren't in the UK? (Very disappointed daughter last night Sad  - presume this is unrelated)
Thanks. Will check back in morning.
3 REPLIES 3
Interested
Grafter

Re: Normal Upload speeds?

Quiet Line Test performed, silent line so all seems OK there.
I'm puzzled.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Interested
1. Is upload speed dependent on the device you're using? (Guess this is a Yes)

Yes, but probably not enough to spend money on an alternative, as being on ADSL the improvement will be minimal.
Regarding the things you have control over, you will get optimum speeds by having your broadband modem located next to the master phone socket, fitting the master socket with a filtered faceplate, removing all telephone extension wiring in your house, never switching off the modem (such as at night), and consider buying an uninterruptable power supply to provide mains power to your modem.

2. Is upload of around 1 Mbps normal? (Bearing in mind it's nearly 4am!) (I'm aware 18 Mbps download is fine)

An upload speed of about 1Mbps is fairly typical assuming your connection is "ADSL2+" (also known as "G.992.5")

3. Any reason why I cannot access messages on ebay and other sites ?

That should work, however there as been a fault seen by other Plusnet customers for the past couple of days
(see topic - "Ebay keeps timing out"),  which hopefully should get resolved soon.
I have just tried to view my eBay "Messages", but couldn't as the connection is is still timing out, so the problem is ongoing.

4. Why when my IP address is showing as UK did ITV player said we weren't in the UK?

Have a read of this topic - "IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here"
and either follow the advice there, or reply to that thread so that your specific connection can be investigated.
Wink
Interested
Grafter

Many Thanks

ITV player now working, so one happy daughter however Ebay messages still not working!
Will add to other thread.