cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nooby lazy question

rathomir

Nooby lazy question

I have 78mb fibre and an existing  new belkin ac1000 from my adsl2 days.
Superior to my 100gbit. 2.4 kHz plus net router.
Belkin Router has gigabit Ethernet
5khz wifi
And a bunch of other nice features.
How can I use it with my fibre bt modem?
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Nooby lazy question

Does it have the ability to configure a PPPoE connection?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rathomir

it wont work. verified with the vendor. oh well.
can anyone suggest a good cable router with 5Ghz wifi and Gigabit ethernet?
dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: rathomir
it wont work. verified with the vendor. oh well.

I find that hard to believe, providing you have a separate Modem (I.e the openreach one) and it supports PPPoE then it should work.
I'm afraid I don't trust some of the router vendors to supply an accurate anwser, I'm not sure in the cases of a lot of them that the query actually gets routed to someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
Also you're getting Gbit and Megabit Mixed up as well as Khz and Ghz 😉
Not That I wouldn't mind 100Gbit/s interfaces on an isp supplied router.
markm9
Grafter

hi rathomir, asus routers get good reviews from users on here, there is a thread for AsusN66U on here,personally i have Asus RT-N56U, this is dual band, with gigabit ethernet, and works well with Fibre, easy to set up also  Wink
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

There are 2 variants of the AC 1000 according to this http://www.belkin.com/uk/support-search?search=ac+1000
If you have the F9K1112 then it will work, if you have the F9J1104 then it's a combined modem/router, has no WAN port and therefore will not work with the FTTC modem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rathomir

Thanks. I have the former. The port is labelled modem. I seem to remember an ac1000 edition that was fibre compatible but it was an extra £35. At the time I had no plans to move away from ADSL2+ Oh well, not the first time I've bought end of life tech. Another addition to my tech graveyard.
Thanks for the Asus info, looks like a great router, I'll check it out.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I also have the Asus RT-N56U & am equally pleased with it. As Mark says, it works very well & is incredibly easy to set up. It had to be for an OAP like myself!!  Smiley
dragon2611
Grafter

If it doesn't have an ethernet WAN port then it can't be used as a router for FTTC (Sorry should have thought of that last night)
However there's nothing stopping you using it as a Wireless access point and for some additional gigabit ports if you don't mind having an extra box powered up.
What you would need to do is connect your computer to it and access it's settings, you need to find the "LAN" settings section and change the IP address so that it sits the same range as the plusnet rouiter.
E.g if your plusnet router is 192.168.1.254 make the belkin 192.168.1.252 (Some of the techinicolors already use 192.168.1.253 for their media sharing stuff), you then need to locate the setting for "DHCP Server" and set it to off.
Then you can plug the LAN port of the Belkin to one of the LAN ports on the plusnet router and you should be able to use the Wireless from the Belkin as well as the remaining gigabit ports.
I Do something similar with some Tenda Routers as they were massively cheaper than buying Dual band wireless access points.