cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy phone line repaired; how to restore broadband speed

markv
Rising Star

Noisy phone line repaired; how to restore broadband speed

My SO, who I persuaded to switch to Plusnet, has had a noisy, buzzing phone line for ages. We finally reported it and a fault was acnowledged and today fixed by a man at a street cabinet.

Since the problem started, her broadband speed has dropped from ~ 10 Mb/s to ~ 2 Mb/sec.

Do we need to do anything to get that back up after the line repair?

8 REPLIES 8
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Noisy phone line repaired; how to restore broadband speed

Without seeing the current line stats from the router it's hard to tell if the line has been banded or otherwise 'adjusted' to try to cope with the line noise, but the odds are that it has.

Probably needs resetting by a member of the PlusNet staff who monitor these forums - hopefully they will pick this up for you and do whatever is required to restore normal performance.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there @markv, if you private message me his Username I can check things out for you.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
markv
Rising Star

Many thanks. PM sent.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for your private message. I've tested their line and I'm still detecting a fault. I've passed the account to my colleague of our faults team now to contact Openreach to progress this along. I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
markv
Rising Star

Appreciate your help. Surprised there is still a problem showing. We had a VERY noticable buzz on the line and after the call from the OW engineer that completely dissapeared. Quiet Line Test now gives total silence.

My partner has received a call from Plusnet. Overall we're very impressed with the response we have recieved - thank you.

Mark

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problems, I'm happy to have helped.

It appears the problem we're still detecting may not be service affecting as my colleague explained to me that your partner advised things seem OK now. I think he sent the ticket back to her with a few checks to do if problems do occur.

Having said that, fingers crossed everything continues to work normally.
markv
Rising Star

The noise has certainly cleared. I will run speed tests at the first opportunity (Saturday).

Thanks again for you help.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Fantastic news, thanks for letting us know. Thumbs_Up