Board Name: DANT-T
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Noisy Router Investigation

Thanks, that's great.
@Razer
What was is it on your replacement?
Edit: to clarify for anyone else reading that wants to add the infomation.
There seems to be a few out there with 8.4.4.i which is a little bit of a mystery at the moment.
Razer
Grafter

Hi AO. What was what, the firmware? 8.4.4.J on all of them, as far as I recall.
Anotherone
Champion

No, on your replacement, sorry should have been clearer?
Razer
Grafter

'was' threw me. lol. It's 8.4.4.J on the silent one.
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, interesting, thanks, I've edited my post above for the benefit of future readers  Wink
mattturner
Grafter

Hi All,
We’ve been pondering the problem of noisy routers for some time trying to get to the bottom of the issue.

We had our supplier place one of our routers in a sound proof chamber and recorded the sound of it running with a wide acoustic range microphone. They found a tone spike at 4kHz which you can see in this plot of frequency vs. amplitude.

Only a handful of people are able to hear this noise without putting the router up to their ear, the noise is only a few dB above background levels so is very hard to hear for the majority of us. For the people that can hear it however it is very annoying!
Further investigation showed that the noise source is a component known as Inductor L14, this component is part of the 1.2V DC circuit. The noise from L14 is due to magnetostriction: the mechanic interaction between the inductor ferrite material and its electrical winding.
The noise has a frequency of 4Khz, if you’d like to hear this noise then watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO9uRNrP8Mo video (turn your speakers down!)
We’ve identified a solution which is to introduce a capacitor to remove the 4Khz harmonic without any negative effects (this component is normally present in TG582n devices with the USB port).

The routers with USB ports are not affected because they already contain this extra component which stops this noise, this component is part of the dying gasp circuitry which is not present in the non-USB version. We’ll be making a change in our next manufacturing run which is scheduled for the end of June, these take a while to come from China so will begin shipping to customers later in the year.
If you can hear the noise then let us know, we have some of the quieter routers in the office with this extra component that we can send out.
Thanks,
Matt
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for the explanation Matt, well done. PS. Get an interesting little beat if you play razer's recording with the one above at the same time  Wink
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Top jolly explanation plusnet, many thanks for letting us all know.
SoFarSoGood
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Matt
Appreciate you letting us all know the outcome.
At that frequency, I guess it's not just down to the age of people who could here it, and found it annoying.

Pedro
Grafter

Interesting stuff Matt!
I was most intrigued by the "dying gasp circuitry" bit of your explanation.
Now that I understand what it means, I think it begs the question, why would it be missing from newer(?) revisions of the router? Or are these a model for cutting costs, hence stripped down to the bare essentials, which is understandable in the current financial climate? Roll_eyes
Anyway, top marks for a top investigation and explanation  Cheesy
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Link fixed broken.
Fixed again - Pedro
Anotherone
Champion

Now you mention it again, I did wonder earlier, perhaps Matt could clarify - just the Capacitor not there, or the whole "dying gasp" circuitry not there?
mattturner
Grafter

Yes, the whole dying gasp circuitry was removed in the models without a USB port. I don't think the BT Wholesale platform supports the dying gasp functionality. It's used for when there is a mains power cut to the router and sends a 'dying gasp' alert to the DSLAM.
Anotherone
Champion

Well there was rumour that it used to, it would be nice to find out for definite, both 20CN and 21CN Wink
Razer
Grafter

Interesting read, Matt. Thanks. It's nice to have the 'proof' (although I'd recorded it myself) just to show others that it is a real sound and not imagined by some, or even that it is tinnitus. Wide acoustic range microphone? Can't remember what mine is, but obviously enough.
Anyway, I'm STILL waiting for another bag to return the other two routers I still have. Wink