cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise level halved since 06/09

HaresEar
Grafter

Noise level halved since 06/09

My dal rest on 06/09/17 and since then the noise level on download has halved from 6db to 3db.  It has consistently been 6db.  hub reset has not resolved this issue.  Speed has not significantly reduced but broadband seems to hang.

Could this be checked please.

4 REPLIES 4
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Noise level halved since 06/09

A noise level of 3dB is pretty common these days as Openreach were trialling a 3dB target margin for quite some time and I believe it is being rolled out nationally now.
HaresEar
Grafter

I'll check it out still with Plusnet.  My upload noise level has remained the same though.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

The idea of reducing the SNR is to increase the speed not reduce it. So, providing the background noise is at a fairly constant level then the speed should increase. If there are periods of increased noise then during these periods there will be errors, which will require data to be re-sent and therefore cause delays.

The OR DSLAM is designed to find the best compromise between download speed and error level automatically by adjusting the SNR. If you are having many errors then I would expect the SNR to automatically increase again.

I have been running very successfully with a SNR of 3.3dB for many months.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@HaresEar

Sorry for the delayed response. I've set the noise margin for you now at 6db.

Can you let us know how things go over the next 24 hours?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet