shure
Grafter

Re: Noise Margin

Done.  Thanks again for your help Smiley
shure
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
That's correct , the cable to upstairs is the correct standard and doesn't need replacing. Yes you can connect from upstairs to downstairs if it's an easier run, if not use the existing run from the Master (or new route if more convenient). Yes, you end up disconnecting the old cable altogether.
The new cable mentioned in my previous post is a 2-pair cable, all that's required for an ADSL installation. The newer cable you have going upstairs is 3-pair and has unused wires. When you do the wiring your need to remove the wires from Terminal 3 by gently pulling them vertically out of the terminal. The only wires that will be connected are the Blue+white trace to terminal 2  and the White+blue trace to terminal 5 at all of the sockets.

I've managed to successfully thread the new wire under the stairs (by tying it to the old one as I pulled it out!) but I just want to be clear on your post above.  Are you saying I should remove all the wires from Terminal 3 in the Master Socket, including the ones from the upstairs extension?
AndyH
Grafter

Yes...Terminal 3 is the ring wire and is no longer used. It will slow down your connection. You need just Terminal 2 and 5.
shure
Grafter

many thanks AndyH
AndyH
Grafter

No worries - an example of a ring wire impacting ADSL: I live a fair distance from my exchange (7km or so) with a dB reading of 48 which gave me around 2-3Mb broadband. With the ring wire connected on the master socket/extensions, the router would either show line down or connect then disconnect every 30 secs. Once the ring wire was removed, no problems at all.
shure
Grafter

Right, so I've finished re-wiring the downstairs extension and taken the opportunity to move it an additional couple of meters along so that it's now in the study where the router and PC are.  I've removed the wire from Terminal 3 downstairs and the only thing remaining is to remove the same wire from Terminal 3 upstairs, which should be fairly straightforward (famous last words).
The re-wiring exercise has left me with an excess of the twisted pair cable I bought earlier at OldJim's suggestion.  Since I don't have any tools to wire up RJ11 ends I can't as yet cut that down to length and I'm hoping to just coil that under the desk out of sight.  Can you please confirm that 10m of twisted pair cable is OK or will that length cause issues?  I have the standard modem cable which PN supplied of course - would it be better to use that?
Once I post this I will disconnect from the test socket and try out my wiring efforts.  Wish me luck Cheesy
AndyH
Grafter

You could run 200m of twisted cable without any problems.
shure
Grafter

well, nothing's blown up so far so seems to have worked.  Many, many thanks to Oldjim and AndyH and especially to Anotherone for all the detailed help over the last week or so.  I definitely could not have done it without you guys and I am exceptionally grateful for your time.  I'm no longer in the test socket and if all else fails it looks like I now have a fallback job as a BT cabling engineer ;D.
Sorry to be cheeky but just one question still remains: would I be better off keeping the twisted pair cable, given that it's 10m in length (i only need 1m) and I don't know how to wire up an RJ11 end (which of course means I can't cut it to length), or should I just use the modem cable supplied by PN?
Fingers crossed it will remain stable.
yours,
Shure
edit: crossed post with AndyH's reply.  Twisted cable it is!  Cheers!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@shure
Keep the 10m length intact.If you have a problem in the future and need to test from the test socket (mandatory requirement to protect your self from a bill if your internal wiring were to be at fault) than you'll need that length. Order yourself a 1m one (or whatever the ideal length is) or use the Plusnet supplied one if you have no problems. Glad all looks OK so far, may it continue.  Smiley
Quote from: AndyH
No worries - an example of a ring wire impacting ADSL: I live a fair distance from my exchange (7km or so) with a dB reading of 48 which gave me around 2-3Mb broadband. With the ring wire connected on the master socket/extensions, the router would either show line down or connect then disconnect every 30 secs. Once the ring wire was removed, no problems at all.

Eh?? Are you sure AndyH? Those figures don't compute, either you are about 3.5km from the exchange with 48dB attenuation (I assume that's the DS) in which case you should get between 5 - 6 Mbps if your line is good, if your really are 7km line length you are lucky to get such speed, they must be using very large x-section copper cable to you  Huh