Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise Margin

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Noise Margin

Um, you'll know the SNR has gone down initially because you'll get a faster speed I guess - it happens when the exchange recognises the line is stable.
You could try using something like routerstats to force a lower target SNR, but I'd leave that until you know everything is stable. Running that would probably be the best way to tell if there's been any changes to the line, thinking about it.
Hope that helps,
HaydnExport
Grafter

But how will i get a faster speed without resyncing?  Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont worry it will go up without a resynch
HaydnExport
Grafter

I might be missing something here, but how can my speed go faster than my ip profile that is defined by how fast i have synced to the exchange?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have looked back through your recent, your profile is nowhere near your last synch, and from my own experience, after 3 days without me doing anything the profile was up to the expected speed for that synch.  the only difference you will make is if you do a resynch you might get a slower or faster synch speed
HaydnExport
Grafter

my profile now up to 3.5 and it should get to 4 by saturday i hope.  I'm trying to get to the speeds i used to have
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not sure of the mathematics, but when your profile is higher a resynch in the daylight morning should be ok, crossed fingures, I am lucky mine is 8128, but in May  I had a mystery one down to 350, that why I said in my experience
HaydnExport
Grafter

cool thanks for your help, i have had speeds up to 6mb in the past but would be more than pleased with a 4.5mb, as it seems 4mb  is the magic number while playing on the psn.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Clarification first - when the exchange DLM decides your line is stable enough to lower the Target SNRM, it will automatically resync when that happens.
You have a 15dB Target as you could see from the stats you took immediately after the sync as I said (there is no need for tests) - anyway Matt also confirmed that.
If you hold that current sync speed, you will get a 4M profile in due course. I would suggest you leave the modem/router on 24/7 and do not reboot at all at the moment to see if you can hold that sync speed.
Reason for not rebooting - look at those recent stats you posted yesterday evening - your Noise Margin has dropped to 8dB which means you have a lot of noise there. Keep listening to your phone line to make sure it isn't a voice fault.
The cordless phone - if it's a recent one, it's most likley to be a DECT, if it's an old one it could be analogue - yuk.
Which ever, either on a plug in extension is not a brilliant idea. Cordless phones can cause interference and on plug in extension leads could radiate the noise nicely, actually not nice. Monitor your stats and watch the noise margin figure - switch off the base station and the handset, don't unplug anything, wait a minute or two and see if there is any significant change in the noise margin.
What if anything is different about your installation now compared to when you were with Sky? Did you have that plug in extension, or the Cordless phone?
I also suggest you download RouterStatsLite from here http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/files/RouterStatsLite57-Setup.exe - that's a windows self installer version, although it doesn't actually install into windows as such (no registry entries), just choose the directory where you want it, it just makes it all easy to install.
Set it up for your 2700 and on the Graphs tab set it to sample every 8 seconds & 900 point per page, on the Capture Tab make sure all the boxes are ticked, & define the folder - suggest the same on as where you installed the program, on the Log tab tick enable and define the full path and filename, comma separated values, Log top status line and log every 4 samples. On the System Tab, tick Minimise to system tray, Prompt before closing, Show noise margin on tray icon, & Show tooltip hints only.
Leave all other tabs as default settings.
Post some Noise margin graphs, from daytime when the margin is high, also evening or any other time you see the margin low.
HaydnExport
Grafter

Have had routerstats running, are these any help?  And my setup exactly the same, my profile now at 4mb Cheesy

HaydnExport
Grafter

Were those graphs any use?
HaydnExport
Grafter

Have been monitoring the noise and it goes from 15 during the day to 7 in the early hrs.  Is this normal?
slipthru
Grafter

Mine goes from 8 during the day down to 4 in the evenings. Your variation does seem to be a bit bigger than mine.
Is your line stable now?
Are you still trying to gain more speed?
HaydnExport
Grafter

i'd like to get my ip profile to 4.5 mb , my line is stable i think , have been synced at the same speed for over a week. 
slipthru
Grafter

It's a waiting game. It should happen if you had those speeds before.