cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise Margin

HaydnExport
Grafter

Re: Noise Margin

moved my router around a few times today, and i think i have made the dlm put interleaving back on !!   Can a member of plusnet staff check for me and turn it off if it is please  Kiss
Edit, Nevermind , ping are back to normal now, just another slow night by the looks of it Sad
HaydnExport
Grafter

Hi , the bt2700hgv has arrived , and i can get it to sync with the exchange but i cant get the internet working with it  Sad  any ideas?
HaydnExport
Grafter

Got it to work, and it is already syncing 1.5mb higher than the thompson.  What do i have to do or not do to get my target snrm to it's best level?
cartman
Grafter

I would leave things, you dont have much control over your margin mine varies from 9db to 13db, If  youre after a better sync try a reboot early in the morning works for me and sync over 8000Kbps.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The BT2700hgv isn't SNRM tweakable, so you are limited to doing the following -
Track your SNRM for a day or two to see how it varies. If your line is typical, the margin will be greatest and steadiest late morning atm.
If your current Target SNRM is 15dB you'll need to wait until the margin is at least 15.5dB but if that modem/router only reports SNRM in 1dB steps, you have to wait until it says 16dB and stable before trying a resync, the higher the better, but being stable is the most important thing. If it's up and down like a yo-yo when you press resync, it may be above when you do that but at the instant of sync it may be a lot lower, so will be your sync speed.
HaydnExport
Grafter

this is what i have at the moment
Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 4320 kbps
Upstream Rate: 832 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 11.0 dB (Downstream) 10.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 41.9 dB (Downstream) 24.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 19.7 dBm (Downstream) 12.3 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {TSTC} Specific: {0x00}
PVC Info: 0/38
So i want a higher noise margin before trying to resync?
HaydnExport
Grafter

this is what it says this morning

DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Downstream Rate: 4320 kbps
Current Noise Margin: 14.0 dB (Downstream) 10.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 41.9 dB (Downstream) 24.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 19.8 dBm (Downstream) 12.3 dBm (Upstream)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Do your remember what your downstream margin was immediately after you last synced? This will give a good indication of the current Target. The stats indicate you are on Fastpath - ie interleaving off.
Your target could be 12dB based on your previous posts, if so, seeing it at 14db would be a good time to reboot. Ideally you want to do this mid/late morning when noise is low (margins high) and stable. As you have RouterStats, you can see from the noise plot when it has least variability.
It would also be helpful if you can provide the following information -
First please check your phone line - can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other intermittent noise on the line? Dial a 1 to get rid of the dial tone. If you need more time before the NUT (number unobtainable tone) dial the quiet line test 17070 option 2. (Don't use any ringback or other test). Who is your Telephone Line Rental provider?
Can you also post the results from http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ - (you need Java Runtime Environment installed for this to work - the latest version for your OS).
Login to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and advise what it says in the top box - delete the last 4 digits of your phone number if present.
Also could you give an Outline description of your installation -
1) Do you have an NTE5 Master LineBox (the type with the removable lower front plate) and which logo it has on it.?
2) Whether you have any fixed extension wiring and sockets & how many, and roughly how the cables go from one to another;
3) What filters do you have and where is the Modem/Router plugged in?
4) Do you have a corded phone, do you have a cordless phone - if so what type - DECT or Analogue?
5) Is any other POTS (plain old telephone service) equipment (Faxes, Answer phones, Sky boxes or Alarms systems etc) plugged in/connected.
One final tip: When you need to reboot or swap things around for testing, powerdown your modem/router and wait several minutes before unplugging anything that disconnects it from the line eg. it's cable, the filter, master faceplate etc. Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. This is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have an intermittent line problem. BUT as you have already been doing a lot of messing around, I'd be inclined to do it even less than that for the time being.
HaydnExport
Grafter

No noise on my line, speedtester showing 2.3mb , and as that my ip profile is 2.5 its fine atm, What i'm after is the d/l speeds i had previously or anything over 4mb .  I have had 4.8 mb for a long time before joining plusnet , now i think highest i've had is 3.5mb. 
telephone provider is sky.
1. I have an nte5 , fitted with a bt iplate
2. 1 fixed extension from microfilter plugged into master
3. i have an adsl nation fe-1 microfilter and it's pluged into the iplate on the nte5 and router is pluged into it.
4, cordless, and no idea what type
5, nothing else plugged in.
HaydnExport
Grafter

just found a speedtest from 19/10/09 on speedtester while i was with sky

this one says it's plusnet , but it's from bt, and look at the speed i was getting then

looking back through them there are alot of results between 5 and 6 mb , that would be nice but i'll be happy with 4+ ......for now lol
HaydnExport
Grafter

Had a look today and my noise margin was 17, so chanced a reboot, got a sync of 4.8mb, getting better.  My noise margin was 15 straight after the reboot.  I'm going to leave it for a while now if it stays in sync,  and maybe reboot in a couple of weeks or so.  Does that sound sensible?
Edit:  just seen on another thread that you can test my 'circuit' and see my target snr , any chance  a member of staff can do this and see if i have a high snr ? 
HaydnExport
Grafter

Just another update,
Line 1 (inner pair)
Downstream Rate: 4832 kbps
Current Noise Margin: 8.0 dB (Downstream) 10.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 41.8 dB (Downstream) 24.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 19.7 dBm (Downstream) 12.3 dBm (Upstream)
slipthru
Grafter

I had to wait two weeks i think, for my noise margin to go back down to 6 after it went upto 9 due to all the disconnects i had, it's all now sorted and my ip profile is 5500 now.
If you're line stays stable from now you should get your speed back soon enough. 
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: HaydnExport
just seen on another thread that you can test my 'circuit' and see my target snr , any chance  a member of staff can do this and see if i have a high snr ? 

Profile Info: 15dB/Fast
So your target SNR is 15dB at present. As slipthru says things should pick up, provided everything stays stable for you.
HaydnExport
Grafter

thanks for replying , when / if my target snr goes down how will i know and how will i get a faster speed?