Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise Margin and Speed

RossBaker
Dabbler

Noise Margin and Speed

Hi,
I've raised the following question with Plusnet:
"I have noticed since the beginning of the month that my downstream connection speed has dropped from 3271 kbps to 1150 kbps and the noise margin has increased from 14 dB to 25db and there has been no changes to the house broadband configuration. The line attenuation has remained the same at 50 dB.
Are you aware of any changes to my service or changes at my exchange? I have also checked my master socket and confirm there is is no 'ring' wire connected."
While I'm waiting for them to research my issue, I was wondering if any of you guys have had similar problems.
Cheers,
Ross
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Noise Margin and Speed

I suspect that you are on ADSL2 and your line has been banded because of perceived instability
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

This is the classic broadband problem.  The equipment in the telephone exchange perceives your line as unstable and keeps upping the noise margin in an attempt to stabilise it.  The consequence of each increase in the noise margin is a decrease in broadband speed.  What is at issue is whether your phone line really is unstable or whether a problem on your premises is causing it to be perceived as such. 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI RossBaker,
Can you plug your filter into the test socket so that I can run some more tests please?
Thanks,
Jojo Smiley
RossBaker
Dabbler

Hi Jo,
The router with new micro filter has been plugged into the test socket since midday Sunday 17th (yesterday).
Thanks,
Ross