Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No traffic at all on P2p

EdmundBlackadde
Dabbler

Re: No traffic at all on P2p

Hi Anotherone,
Thanks for your help with this! I've copied the test results below. My upload speed has got even worse (and for what it's worth, my BitTorrent speed would still be hilarious, were I not actually paying for my connection. I'm hoping a Plusnet bod will pick up on this thread sometime on Monday and run some tests to see what the problem is. All the Googling I've done suggests that the problem invariably lies with the ISP.
Cheers.
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 7:32:04
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 8.594
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 279,58 / 173,29
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,8 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18,2 / 34,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,7 / 6,6
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 623 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 826
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5.936

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
6.75 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.75 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 7.58 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.1 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.1Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What exchange are you on? I don't suppose we should rule out congestion, but as you've supposedly had a BT problem that's blown a modem/router I wonder if there is still some exchange issue as your sync speed is somewhat lower than it should be given the line attenuation and Noise Margin.You ought to be up around the 11-12Mbps.
That upload speed is bad, this doesn't seem like a Plusnet Network issue. Can you run a speedtest at speedtest.net just to see what that gives.
Also don't forget to check your Current Line speed (Login required) when you have a chance.
I supposed we ought to check that nothing is amiss at your end -  Do you have a Master Socket like the one on the left?  Do you have any fixed extensions and where are you plugged in at the moment?
EdmundBlackadde
Dabbler

According to Speedtest I'm d/l at 6.62Mbs, u/l at 0.20 and have a ping of 54.
My Current Line Speed with Plusnet is giving me following:
Postcode:
Phone exchange:
TODDINGTON
Estimated line speed:
6Mb (This may vary between 4Mb and 8Mb) - Checked on 2013-03-24 13:50:12
Current line speed:
7.2 Mb
The exchange there is Toddington, though I recall there being a broadband exchange in Flitwick, which is about 3 miles up the road and I think it's Flitwick that the Plusnet website indicated would be our exchange, though I may be mistaken.
I've got a Master Socket exactly like the one on the left, though it's got a 'BT' stamp rather than Openreach. The router is plugged directly into that socket via one of the white splitters supplied by Plusnet and it shares this with a landline phone. There's a second phone socket in the back room, which has nothing connected to it. I've also just tried the 17070 line test and it is silent - no noise at all. We have a number of devices connected wirelessly, though only one is ever really used to any great degree - the others are largely for browsing only. The TV is connected via an ethernet cable for iplayer etc... but we rarely use that.
I really appreciate your continued help with all this.
Thanks,
picbits
Rising Star

My next suggestion would be to get a friend over with a laptop and some P2P software installed on it and see if it works or does the same as your desktop. Some firewall / antivirus software can cause havoc with P2P and network sharing.
Anotherone
Champion

Very true about AV possibly disrupting the P2P, if you are able to do a few checks with it disabled, that might be a good idea. However it's very unlikley to affect the Speedtest results.
If you have seen speeds of 12Mbps in the last month then your line was obviously capable of it, out of curiosity what sort of speeds did you get with Sky?
Interference pickup could be limiting your sync speed the majority of the time as I notice that the estimated line speed is not the 11-12Mbps I would have expected. As that's an older (BT) Master socket, to save further disrupting your broadband at this time, could you look at the wiring connected at the back of the extension socket. Could you tell me the wire colours and the Terminal numbers they are connected to?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The poor bittorrent speed and low upload speed test result could both be due to something else using up the bandwidth, especially if it's uploading a lot. Although you might have seen it in wireshark if it was on the same PC.
EdmundBlackadde
Dabbler

I've just tried my netbook with Bittorent and had some interesting results.
It initially achieved a speed of around 180KB/s ad then fluctuated wildly between about 120 KB/s and 0.5 KB/s. I turned on my main computer and had similar (if less dramatic) ranges. The speeds on both computers have now returned to zero, occasionally nudging up to 0.5.. This sudden burst of activity happened when I rebooted my computer this afternoon and it's almost as if some gremlin needs 90 seconds to get in gear before it throttles my speeds. Interestingly, BitTorrent's own 'speed test' worked for the first time on the Netbook and gave returns of around 45KB/s for my Upload and about 750KB/s for my downloads, which is how I remembered them in the glory days of last week. As of 30 seconds ago, it's back to giving me "Connection failed error. Timed out. (10060)"
I can't think of anything hat would consue bandwidth to such a degree as to cripple my uploads (and general P2P speeds) as is happening. I never have both computers running anything as greedy as Bittorrent or even Youtube etc... so I'm at a total loss.
I also disabled my AV for a brief period - no change at all.
I've only recently moved into the property, but was on Sky at an old house, so unfortunately there's no direct comparison - though it's incredibly frustrating that 5 people in a property with a maximum line speed of 1.5Mbs (yep, 1.5) download speeds hundreds of times faster than I'm getting now. For the first 3 weeks we've had no problems (though admittedly 6 days were out of action awaiting a new Router), but now this has crept up to be a permanent feature.
I'll have to open up the Master Socket tomorrow after work - though if anyone from Plusnet would like to have a look into this, I should be able to access my emails - but not phone - for most of tomorrow.
Thanks for all your help so far though, it's good to know it's not just me!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

How many connections is bittorrent configured to use? Perhaps the router just cannot cope with so many, or the router firewall / intrusion detection system starts classing so many connections as a denial of service attack, and blocks them.
Anotherone
Champion

Have a look at the Extension socket in the back room and report back on that first to save disrupting your Broadband connection any more than needed. We want to avoid getting anywhere near DLM either raising your Target SNRM or Banding your speed!
What AV is it you are using? I've remembered a recent case of AV making a mess of download/upload speeds.
As far as your exchange goes, the correct one will be as reported above.
Edit:I take it that with the replacement modem/router you are also using a replacement Filter?