cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No traffic at all on P2p

EdmundBlackadde
Dabbler

No traffic at all on P2p

I've been with Plusnet for around a month now and am experiencing my second problem with the service.
The first issue was a router that was somehow 'blown' by a BT outtage. A new router was sent and the service is up and running, though we were without internet for the best part of a week.
The second problem has arisen over the last week or so. Despite being on the 'unlimited' package, I'm finding that my P2P usage is being regularly throttled. At times downloads will work at a speed I am happy with - 400-800kb/s. However more often than not there is no movement whatsoever; I don't mean 'slow' - I mean absolutely dead.
Can anyone shine any light onto what is wrong with this and could somebody from Plusnet please confirm whether this is a problem with the service. I was previously with Sky and experienced no problems at all like this.
Thanks
23 REPLIES 23
EdmundBlackadde
Dabbler

Re: No traffic at all on P2p

Just to clarify, the only thing going on at the same time is standard browsing; no gaming or iPlayer etc...
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That doesn't sound right at all. I'd Check which Gateway you are on and then Gateway hop, log in to your modem/router and go to the Internet Box as shown here and click Disconnect. This drops the PPP session to Plusnet. Wait about 30 seconds and then Click Connect. Unless you are unlucky you should be on another gateway. See if the problem is the same.
Make a note of the Gateways.
If the problem continues the try downloading and running Wireshark, go here for information about it. It's possible there's a problem with the traffic management and it's not getting prioritised correctly.
Edit: what sort of speed is your connection?
EdmundBlackadde
Dabbler

Hi Anotherone. Thanks for that suggestion - I'll give it a go and report back.
Our line speed is relatively slow. The fastest we've recorded over the past month is 12mb/s, but generally speaking we get 6-7. I have got an email from Plusnet saying that at one point our speed had been measured as 21mb/s, but I think that's fantasy territory.
Cheers.
EdmundBlackadde
Dabbler

I ran the checks and came up with this:
I was riginally on gateway pcl-ag08 (City House) and reconnected to ptn-ag03 (Telehouse North). As this change made no difference I tried again, ending up at ptw-ag01 (Telehouse West). Again, there was no change; my P2P is still dead.
I downloaded Wireshark (25mb file completed very quickly) and have run the capture. I think I can see the info I need at it's coming up as x00 and x020 - which from what I can gather is correct for P2P software - bronze designation? 
Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

What times of day does this happen ?
Unlimited can be throttled between about 7pm and Midnight, due to volume of traffic.
Also P2P involving America only works when America is awake !
How many peers are you getting ? I am currently using 21 out of 60 peers. 2.1mb/s wifi @ 4am
More peers = faster P2P I find.
My P2P wifi download speed varies from max 2.4mb/s between midnight & 10am ish, and can drop to nearly zero at other times.
Even with Plusnet speeds at 19mb/s at the ame time.

Which gateway
I am currently connected to gateway ptw-ag03.
This is located in Telehouse West.

EdmundBlackadde
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for the reply.
This has been happening from early evening - 6ish - through to 2am. I've had it on for about an hour this morning and it's exactly the same, so it appears to be happening at almost all times of the day.
I've only got about 6 peers from over 1,000 possible, though the seed ratio seems better - about 6-9 out of 15-20.
Any more help is greatly appreciated.
Ta,
EdmundBlackadde
Dabbler

I rebooted my system and for around 90 seconds my dy download speeds were back up to where they used to be - around 550KB/s. Now, however, they're back down to the negligible 0.4KB/s.
I'm convinced it's not my system that's the problem - no settings have been changed and it demonstrates it is capable of achieving what it used.
When I use the Bittorrent set up too it repeatedly fails on the 'Bandwidth' test - 10060 error.
picbits
Rising Star

Grab a Ubuntu torrent - one with lots of seeds on and run that at the same time as your other torrent.
If the Ubuntu torrent flies along downloading then you know it's not an issue with your PC or the connection but an issue with the other seeded file.
EdmundBlackadde
Dabbler

I tried a Ubuntu torrent - for a few seconds it hit the giddy heights of 14KB/s, but it's now it's completely dead.
I can try a physical reboot of the router?
Thanks.
picbits
Rising Star

A router reboot would be the next thing I'd try.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I would check the port forwarding is setup correctly. If you are only getting a few peers then you have incoming connection issues.
What client are you using? Most will allow you to test the port is setup properly, somewhere in the configuration/preferences. If using upnp check the router to make sure it is opening the ports.
EdmundBlackadde
Dabbler

Thanks for the suggestions.
I rebooted the router - nothing.
I'm using BitTorrent - I'm using its 'Set up Guide', which measures your 'bandwidth' and 'network'. I enter 'London' as my closest location and this comes up with the the following:
"Connection failed error. Timed out. (10060)"
Under network it says:
"Results: Port is open. Your network is properly configured."
I've aso gone through my router settings (it's the Technicolor one) and manually added the port number I'm using for BitTorrent.
I'm pretty much at a loss now as to what else to try.
Thanks.
EdmundBlackadde
Dabbler

I've also just carried out a speed check on my line - 6.36 d/l, which is what I'd expect on a Sunday afternoon, but my upload is a pathetic 0.17.
Anotherone
Champion

Oh dear, that is a very poor result.
You are right that the Wireshark page shows Bronze as the correct classification for P2P, but I'm not sure what the difference is between x20 & x00 from the actual management point of view! I'd have expected x20 to be Bronze and x00 to be Best Effort but it'll need one of the PN traffic management experts to clarify that.
The guys responding on the P2P stuff know far more about it than I, so I'll leave that bit to them.
But I'm wondering if you are getting the best performance from your line.
First to avoid upsetting the Exchange DLM (just in case you already have problems) don't just Reboot the modem/router when there is a need to reset things. Disconnect the PPP session first, wait about a minute, then power down. Stay off for about 10 minutes then power up and Connect again. That way DLM doesn't see it as a Connection drop.
Second, when you feel the time is right, so as not to detract too much from the P2P issues, post up your full DSL Stats - To get the stats, login into your modem/router and under DSL Connection, click View more ..... as shown here and then Details on the top RHS. Just Copy and Paste the information into a post. Also check your your Current Line speed (Login required).
Also run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).