cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No, this is not good...Cannot connect to broadband.

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: No, this is not good...Cannot connect to broadband.

You'll be connecting on WPA anyway, not WPA2. You'll just be turning off a feature that's not currently in use. This should be the last or penultimate option on the same screen you were changing the wireless channel.
Lolaan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This one doesn't work, Ben. As soon as I clicked "apply" after changing WPA + WPA2 to WPA, the wireless connection on the netbook has cut off. My connection came back straight away after I changed everything back to what it was (WPA + WPA2).
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Ben
You'll be connecting on WPA anyway, not WPA2. You'll just be turning off a feature that's not currently in use.

Ben can you explain why we should not be using wpa2 does plusnet not support this option?
As the OP said I too thought wpa2 was the best choice to stop others hijacking your wireless signal
I have a speedtouch 716wl which i brought direct from plusnet and have been using wpa2 on the understanding it was the best setting
Puddy
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Lolaan
This one doesn't work, Ben. As soon as I clicked "apply" after changing WPA + WPA2 to WPA, the wireless connection on the netbook has cut off. My connection came back straight away after I changed everything back to what it was (WPA + WPA2).

If I do the same on my speedtouch I need to re- enter the routers password  in all my wireless devices again and re-scan all wireless devices
Puddy
ps do the speedtouch plusnet branded router have their ssid and password on the label underneath the router like my speedtouch 716wl?.  it saves having to make up a ssid and password
nadger
Rising Star

TG585 does come with a loose label and label underneath.
My WPA-PSK Version is WPA+WPA2
Lolaan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I had no drop in my connection since I've changed the channel yesterday.  Grin
I did notice that, on other websites, they seem to say that channels 1, 6 and 11 are the best to be on, as they don't overlap. Does that mean the other channels are to be avoided if possible?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The picture I previously posted shows how channels overlap. Channels 1 and 13 overlap with the fewest other channels so should be the clearest, assuming there are no other sources of noise present.
Neither WPA nor WPA2 are truely secure, any determined hacker would be able to break either. I must stress, however, that the chances of this happening are negligible for a residential network.