cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service, minimal customer support

wdrsm0ldi

No service, minimal customer support

On Saturday 21st February I reported an issue with no phoneline but internet working ok.
I had a reply on Tuesday 24th February confirming the following "I have run a copper line test which has identified a fault with your telephone line external to your premises. As the fault is external, we should not at this time need to arrange an engineer appointment with yourself to investigate this".

On 26th February the internet also dropped out and is no longer working.
On Friday 27 Feb 2015 I received the following
"Thanks for answering our questions
The problem you've identified with your phone line is the likely cause of your broadband problem. We need this fixing before we can investigate further.
As we're your phone provider, we'll investigate and report this problem for you.

Once the problem with your phone is fixed
Your broadband should work again. If you find your broadband is slower than before you reported this problem don't worry, this is normal. You'll need to be connected for up to 3 days before your broadband speeds return the speeds prior to the problem.
We'll contact you as soon as we have more information and let you know what happens next.
[INTERNAL]
Investigate fault with customer's phone line."
Since then, nothing

I think that 9 days to get this far is a joke. All that has been achieved so far is that we have lost our internet, which was working when I first reported the lack of phone line.

19 REPLIES 19
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: No service, minimal customer support

Hi Wdrsm0ldi,
Welcome to the PlusNet forums.  Sorry to hear of your phone line problems.  This will need PlusNet CRT staff to progress this for you who will now have finished for the day.  It might be useful to you if I explain a little bit of background.
A phone line needs both sides of the wire pair to be connected for the voice service to work, but ADSL can continue to limp along when just one side of the pair remains connected.
The wires are quite fine and (especially is aluminium) can be rather brittle.  The consequence of this is that an engineer working in a cabinet or on a cable bundle joint can all too easily disturb a circuit they are not working on.  Also joints exposed to dampness can degrade and eventually fail.
After PlusNet have accepted a fault report, confirmed the nature of the failure and passed it on to BT Openreach, it can take BT Opernreach up to 72 hours to fix a line fault under normal working conditions.  In the presence of bad weather or other conditions (MBORC) it can take longer.
Unfortunately  BT Openreach systems only permit a single fault report or order open on a line at one time.  Therefore (yes it is stupid) until the voice fault is rectified by BTOR, it is not possible to raise a BB fault report, let alone have it investigated / progressed.
It might be necessary to return to the BB state after the voice service has been fixed to ensure that it is operating at optimal speed.  If your line is rural, do not be surprised if there are further issues requiring attention.  Many BTOR rural lines are in a rather poor state of maintenance, blighting all ISPs alike.
Hope you are soon reconnected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I'm really sorry that this hasn't already been picked up.
I've closed the duplicate ticket and taken ownership of the original. I'll be having words with faults (the team) about your lack of update, but I suspect they are a little behind at the moment. A battery contact fault has been found, for which I've been told no engineer is required, but I understand you've been told this before. I will keep a close eye on matters though and hope to get you an update sooner rather than later.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Tony,
Would that be "No engineer visit to EU premises is required?".
Surely a BCF is a physical problem requiring physical attention?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

When we say 'no engineer required' we generally mean no end user visit needed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Cheers Chris,
That's what I thought too, but I spend far too much time around here.  Shocked
Others who do not, might read the statement literally and wrongly conclude no action is taking place.
Kevin

wdrsm0ldi

We are now on day 16 of this fault.
I have spent the whole morning waiting around for an engineer visit between 8 and 1, but heard nothing.
I am the keyholder for the premises, but not the account holder. Clear instructions were left for how to contact me.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can I ask why you believed the appointment was today? I've checked over the account and the appointment is showing for tomorrow morning, the 10th March.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I take it that this issue has transformed from "no premises visit required" to "engineer visit to EU premises required"?

wdrsm0ldi

I've just checked back with the account holder and you are correct it is tomorrow.
That makes it 17 days, which you have to agree is ridiculous.
Looks like I'm hanging around again tomorrow for a "no visit to  eu" fault?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

@Townman. Yes, circumstances changed after my last post.
@wdrsm0ldi I'm sure we'll have a positive result tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
wdrsm0ldi

No positive result today, either!
I've waited around all morning again & heard nothing.
8am. to 1pm. time slot has been and gone.
Neither the account holder or myself have been contacted & the service is still down
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I am really sorry about the lack of engineer. I am trying to escalate this with BT for you. They also advise that they should be in direct contact "within 24 hours" to re-book the appointment.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Tony,
Let me start by saying SORRY ... but ...
What is being done at the highest level of PlusNet and BTOR to address such repeat failures to deliver service?  This situation is not unique nor unusual in any aspect.  BTOR are behaving in the most abysmal manner possible.  Repeatedly failing to attend appointments without having the courtesy to let waiting customers know.  It is neither reasonable nor practical for such non-attendance to be communicated via the ISP.
BTOR must do better and this clearly is not going to happen until an ISP takes a bundle of service failures such as this one to Ofcom.  What I Andy Baker doing to protect PlusNet's reputation in the light of persistent BTOR failure?  The really sad thing is that Joe Public believes that all of these failures are down to PlusNet and that by moving to a different ISP, they might fair better... not realising that it is the same not fit for purpose BTOR acting in the back ground.
Kevin

wdrsm0ldi

I'm under no illusion as to who is to blame for the long drawn out technical issues & lack of urgency to get this repair done. Moving to another provider would not fix the apathy displayed by BT towards repairs.
Unfortunately for plusnet & other similar companies, Joe Public will get the impression that they have no clout as far as getting these jobs done, perhaps prioritising BT's own customers.
As for hanging around again, I am hoping that I will be given a one hour time slot this time rather than a half day "at the engineer's convenience" booking.
We are now consideringt moving our webserver online & sourcing a dongle for our internet provision which is one evening per week, generally.