cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No progress on fault

spikett
Hooked

No progress on fault

We've been without phone and broadband since Sunday.  I raised a fault with PlusNet on Sunday.

On Tuesday BT OpenReach visited and identified the cause of the problem but then left. 

On Wednesday I received emails from OpenReach saying that another engineer was working on the problem, but then later another message that he'd been unable to resolve it and that if I still have a problem I should contact my service provider.

Since then there's been silence, I've messaged PlusNet several times with no response.  How should I escalate this to get the fault resolved? 

Also, can I assume that PlusNet won't be charging me for the service they're not providing this week?   Indeed they're profiting from the situation since without home broadband I'm having to constantly buy data bolt-ons for my mobile phone.

8 REPLIES 8
spikett
Hooked

Re: No progress on fault

The cause of the problem at my property is pretty clear.  See attached picture.  Now why has my fault ticket been put on hold for a further week for "Testing"?  What needs testing?  Why not just come and repair this cable?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing a fault with your service.

In light of your recent ticket update, I've sent the fault back to our suppliers for further investigation.

Also, can I assume that PlusNet won't be charging me for the service they're not providing this week?   Indeed they're profiting from the situation since without home broadband I'm having to constantly buy data bolt-ons for my mobile phone.

We'd be happy to provide a refund of the relevant subscription charges paid to us, once the fault has been resolved.

The cause of the problem at my property is pretty clear.  See attached picture.  Now why has my fault ticket been put on hold for a further week for "Testing"?  What needs testing?  Why not just come and repair this cable?

We placed your broadband fault ticket on hold whilst your phone fault ticket was in progress. We can't progress a broadband fault until the line is working I'm afraid.

I can see our faults team has started looking at your ticket a few minutes ago. I'd expect them to provide a response to the ticket shortly. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
spikett
Hooked

We're approaching two weeks now with no phone or broadband.

And it seems impossible to find whether any work is being done on the problem at all.  PlusNet are astoundingly uncommunicative.

All I ever get on the fault message board is "Our support team will respond to your message soon."  But I have no idea what "soon" means in this context.  Is that days?  Weeks?  Months?

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Where was that picture of the chopped cable taken?

If on your property, then the BT engineer has presumably reported back as "customer damaged cable" and it will probably be chargeable.

Don't think that they can just repair the cable -suspect that they would have to run a new cable from the manhole/pole to your master socket,which isn't a 5 minute job!

spikett
Hooked

The picture was taken in the street outside my property.  The cable from the nearest pole to my house is intact.  The cable from that pole to the next pole is down.  The problem is definitely not on my property.

So apparently they need to close the road in order to erect new telegraph poles.  This fact was established on Aug 22nd. 

I'd just like any indication at all that the work to replace the telegraph poles is scheduled.  All we've heard is that it needs to be done but no indication that there's a plan to do it.  As far as I can tell we're going to be without service indefinitely and no-one plans to do anything about it.

So, I'm having to use my mobile phone for all data needs.  That's costing me in additional data costs, and unfortunately my mobile phone is also with PlusNet so now I've run up against their helpful "Smart cap" which prevents me buying more data from them.

An engineer did visit this week and managed to patch the cable such that we had service again.  Unfortunately this only lasted for about 12 hours, but his temporary fix failed. I suspect two days persistent heavy rain might have caused moisture to get into his repair. If a slightly less temporary fix could be arranged that would be wonderful.

So PlusNet won't give me any clue as to when my home broadband will be repaired and won't let me buy more data from them for my mobile phone.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

OK -  so fortunately not your financial problem!

HOWEVER, you have a fault which requires major Openreach works - and they work to their own timescales,unfortunately. If it is a busy road,then getting permission from the local Council can be an issue.

Is it only affecting your line? Or are neighbours affected? You have more chance of a timely repair if there are multiple customers moaning.

spikett
Hooked

Just myself affected unfortunately, we're the last house on that line.

I recognise that this is going to take a while to fix.  I'd just appreciate it if PlusNet would give an indication that a fix is planned.  After two weeks of no service the only response I get from PlusNet is "Our support team will answer your question soon."  So far they've given no indication that a fix is planned.

The temporary fix was welcome for the brief time that it survived.  I've asked PlusNet if they can get OpenReach to try to reinstate that temporary fix.  PlusNet's reply?  "Our support team will answer your question soon."

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@spikett wrote:
I recognise that this is going to take a while to fix.  I'd just appreciate it if PlusNet would give an indication that a fix is planned.  After two weeks of no service the only response I get from PlusNet is "Our support team will answer your question soon."  So far they've given no indication that a fix is planned.

We've passed on as much info as we have.

It looks like an engineer cleared the fault yesterday. Everything working now?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet