cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No master socket

kevinwj

No master socket

Hi,
I would like to upgrade to fibre, but, as per the title, I do not have a master socket.
I have two copper wires that enter the house and these are then split off to each of the phone points. Can I still upgrade to fibre?Huh
Thanks in advance,
Kev  Smiley
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: No master socket

Yes - my best guess is that
They will fit a new master socket possibly at the junction box and connect the existing sockets to the front plate so you will get a phone socket where the junction box is as well as the existing two sockets
You may be able to have one of the existing two sockets converted to a master but then you would be responsible for connecting the other socket to it
kevinwj

Thanks for your reply.  Smiley
Not sure where you got 2 sockets from though.
I think it's about 7 or 8 ( although I may have forgotten 1 or 2 ) which are hard wired back to the main line.  Grin
Kev
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Neither do I  Embarrassed
In your case you appear to have a star wired connection.
This will cause difficulties I think.
Normally when there is a master socket the connections from the front plate are run in series whereas yours would be in parallel
I have no idea how they would get round that without you doing a major rewire of your property.
In the worst case you would get a phone point with the fibre connection at the junction box and the engineer would connect one of the phone points.
I think that a member of the Digital Care Team may be able to advise what the options actually are
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
This will cause difficulties I think.

Shouldn't do really.
They'd just break into the line prior to the "star" point and fit a master socket as normal (might need a little wiring and junction box or crimps).
Then they'll run a cable back from the master (faceplate) to the "break-in" point and join up to the wire leading to the "star".
Just a little (maybe non-existent) loop of wire, one master socket and at most 2 basic junctions.
Simples. Grin
itsme
Grafter

Not that simple. There is the ring wire to consider. If it's a star than are all sockets masters?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If it's done properly as HP's description taking the cable back to the original junction off the FTTC faceplate then all the sockets off the star would be filtered (by the faceplate), this also contains the ring capacitor.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The part which was concerning me is that with 7 or 8 phone points in star formation would this potentially overload something due to a much reduced circuit resistance
Assuming it doesn't then would it still need the multiple ring wires removing after the junction box
w23
Pro

7 or 8 phones would probably be very risky but unpopulated phone points shouldn't be too bad.  I forget the total REN that's allowed.
I'd think that not connecting the ring wire at the back of the FTTC faceplate should suffice to remove that nuissance (maybe it already incorporates a filter like the i-Plate?).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: walker23
If it's done properly as HP's description taking the cable back to the original junction off the FTTC faceplate then all the sockets off the star would be filtered (by the faceplate), this also contains the ring capacitor.

But where is the master socket at the moment? What cable has been used for the star wiring, is it a single pair cable? If it is then how will the ring wire be taken to the extensions?
w23
Pro

Presumably one of the star-wired sockets is a master (in terms of having the ring capacitor etc.), and would have to be replaced with a slave type.
Call me 'w23'
itsme
Grafter

So not simple because the mess has to be worked out first before any rewiring.
w23
Pro

Question for the OP then:
Kev, how many of the 7 or 8 sockets are in use or ever used?
Call me 'w23'
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If it works now it will very likely work after what I describe.
It's what I've seen done several times by BTOR engineers.  Wink
Whether they take the time and trouble to check round what "may" be considered BT's property (before installing a demarcation point) and rectifyting any issues found will depend.........
kevinwj

Quote from: walker23
Question for the OP then:
Kev, how many of the 7 or 8 sockets are in use or ever used?

5 in constant use, over 3 floors.
3x phones, 1x sky box, 1x broadband. Another 1x phone gets used during Uni holidays ( which seems like about ½ the year  Roll_eyes )
In the interest of trying to not talk out of what I should be sitting on  Shocked I've taken a screw driver to the wall plate that is marked GPO !
Behind it are 1 orange wire and 1 white wire connecting to a red direct connection plate, ( how long have I got and which one do I cut??  Shocked ),  with no capacitors or electronic gubbins of any shape or form.
Out of the other side of this connector plate, only 2 cables are connected to each 'external' wire as they head off around the house. Under the stairs there seem to be 2 proper modern junction boxes splitting further cables off.
I hope that makes sense.
Kev