cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet

mankoleb
Hooked

No internet

My internet cut out today and I do not know why. I can't use it at all and the Internet light is flashing red.
7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: No internet

Hi,

Lets cover some of the basics first.

Do you have a dial tone?  If yes, dial 17070.  Does it report the correct number for your line?  Select option 2; is the line noisy?

Can you dial out?  If you phone your own number does it ring?

Have you made any changes to your internal wiring or devices connected to the phone line?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mankoleb
Hooked

I don't have phone service. I have not touched any wiring or the router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

With no phone service (dial tone) you are not going to get working broadband.  You'll need to report a phone fault to your phone provider.  If it's PlusNET, use the phone fault link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mankoleb
Hooked

I had working internet yesterday. I explicitly have just internet with no phone.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

For clarification, are you suggesting that you have naked DSL?  I did not think PlusNET offered such services.

The absence of a phone service makes user testing of a circuit impossible.  Suggest that you simply raise a broadband fault report instead.  Use the link below.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. I'm not in work at the moment so I can't see your account, however a red Internet light usually indicates the router can't authenticate.
Unless there's a bigger fault or an MSO, I'd recommend first trying a factory reset of the router, if that fails then try logging into the router settings and reconnecting with your broadband username/password.
Hope this helps

[Edit]
Presuming you're using a Plusnet router. If not, skip the factory reset part.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

There was a previous incidence of no PPP session (no authentication) at the end of November. See here where the username was missing the @plusdsl.net

@mankoleb Check your username is entered correctly.
Also, now, whether you believe you have phone service or not, you will find that you have.
The fact that you do not use it or have a phone connected is beside the point.
if you have a corded phone, I suggest that you plug it in and check whether you have dial-tone or some sort of noise/connection on the line. If you do not and it is completely dead, then report a dead line phone fault to your line rental provider as previously mentioned by townman. If you have audible noise on the line do the same.

If you don't have a corded phone, I suggest that you buy a cheap one (around £5) from stores like Argos or similar (or maybe from eBay - but make sure it has a guarantee) otherwise checking for line faults is not an easy possibility - such things speed up fault resolution..