Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No improvement in throughput

James
Grafter

Re: No improvement in throughput

Hi Gaptag,
Interleaving is set to "auto", which means that it's on a some level depending on your line quality.
Do you want us to try turning it off to see if there's any improvement?  There's no errors on your line that I could see.
Ok, this might not look pretty...
Upstream Link Info   
  Loop Loss 29.3 
  Loop Loss Add Text N/A 
  SNR Margin 8.2 
  Errored Seconds 0 
  HecErrors 0 
  Cell Count 0 
  Speed 800

Downstream Link Info   
  Loop Loss 45 
  Loop Loss Add Text N/A 
  SNR Margin 4 
  Errored Seconds 0 
  HecErrors N/A 
  Cell Count 0 
  Speed 4716   
  Current line rate 3500
gaptag
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
Interleaving is set to "auto", which means that it's on a some level depending on your line quality.
Do you want us to try turning it off to see if there's any improvement?  There's no errors on your line that I could see.

Hi Jameseh,
I think I'll stick with the "auto" setting for the moment and see what happens. I'll bear in mind that it is an option that can be tried in the future though.
Regarding errors, this has me rather confused at my end. The Draytek GUI shows a considerable number of "uncorrected errors". When I was on my old ADSL1 with interleave, these figures in the GUI used to show up in the detailed Draytek's command line interface within the following stats:
LocalFastChannelFEC=                            0
LocalFastChannelCRC=                            0
LocalFastChannelHEC=                            0
LocalInterleavedChannelFEC=                    0
LocalInterleavedChannelCRC=                    0
LocalInterleavedChannelHEC=                    0
RemoteFastChannelFEC=                          0
RemoteFastChannelCRC=                          0
RemoteFastChannelHEC=                          0
RemoteInterleavedChannelFEC=                    0
RemoteInterleavedChannelCRC=                    0
RemoteInterleavedChannelHEC=                    0

As you can see - these are all 0. However, the GUI is indicating 518,633 "Uncorrected Errors" on the line. I've found these under another set of lines:
LocalMgmtFEC0=                                  0
LocalMgmtCRC0=                                  518633

I haven't a clue what these Mgmt (Management?) stats are or what they relate to. Unfortunately I can't find any information on what these relate to or mean. 😞
In the meantime, my stable rate has increased again it seems! It had increased to 3.5meg, but is now 4meg when I checked tonight.
Could I have my stable rate updated to 4meg at the Plusnet end to match please? Hopefully that'll give the line some new challenges and we'll see how stable it feels then! 😉
I've attached the BT Speed Tester that shows the current IP profile, etc.
Brian
James
Grafter

Hi Brian,
I think those CRC stats are the number of errors that have been fixed by interleaving, so it might be an idea to keep it turned on Smiley
I'll get your profile changed now.
gaptag
Dabbler

I don't *think* they are (could be wrong!  Smiley ) as when interleaving was on with ADSL1, the errors fixed by interleaving would appear as "Corrected Errors" on the GUI rather than "Uncorrected Errors" and the same number would appear in the LocalInterleavedChannelFEC or RemoteInterleavedChannelFEC from what I remember. I don't think interleaving is on at all - my ping times indicate interleave is off.
I'm happy for it to stay on "auto" just now.
I'll do a reboot tonight once home to try out the new profile change. Smiley
Thanks Jameseh!
Moderator's Note: Full quote of previous post removed. They make the topic harder to follow - please see Forum Rules. David (spraxyt)
gaptag
Dabbler

Much better:
Before (3meg Profile): Today 21:31 2833 kbps (354kB/s) 688 kbps (86kB/s)
After (4meg Profile); Today 21:34  3748 kbps (469kB/s)  675 kbps (84.4kB/s)
gibbo72
Dabbler

Arent the CSC team good?
I noticed that my speeds have never improved since going onto trial... so ran speed test and my profile doesnt match
Raised a ticket through the website to be told I need to run a speedtest 3 times etc etc. Even rung and spoke to csc to be told the same.
Not impressed at all.
Cant be arsed with it all tbh. Plusnet is good - until its not, then it seems sooooo difficult to get things understood or corrected.
gaptag
Dabbler

Quote from: Jameseh
Interleaving is set to "auto" ... Do you want us to try turning it off to see if there's any improvement? 

Hi Jameseh,
After a good month or so of uhber stability at about 4.2meg (I had an uptime on the router and connection running into the hundreds of hours at one point!), it all seems to be going pear shaped again.  Sad
The router has started resyncing during the day to 4.5meg (3dB)... which by night time falls to near 0dB and I get tons of packet loss and the line becomes unusable. A reboot is required to bring it back down to a nice stable 4.2meg (3dB) for the night, and then a day or so later it's back to 4.5meg again and so it loops. 😞
I think it's time for me to give in now and accept the offer of turning interleave to ON instead of auto to see if that stabilises things. I assume turning on interleave is preferable to playing about with turning my profile to 6dB instead of 3dB so as altering the SNR target would be more likely to drop the speed I'm getting?
Brian