Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No help with #87402007

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: No help with #87402007

Whatever you were quoted was an ESTMATE taken one way or another from BTw / BTOR systems.
A synch rate of 7.3Mbps is within 2.6% of the estimate.
For a synch rate of 7.3Mbps (below 7.36) the correct IP profile is 6Mbps - see here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#ipProfile  or here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#IP_and_bRAS_profiles
The IP profile is the maximum data transfer rate you can expect to see in BURST mode - this is not a sustained rate.  Try running the TBB speed test here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html?utm_source=mainsite&utm_medium=navigation&utm_campaign=... to see the difference/

For example, see my figures below...
Line synch speed - 5.543
BT Wholesale speed check
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.48 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 4.89 Mbps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rackstraw2006
Grafter

@ vilefoxdemonofdoom: Yep, I know this but as PN said they will send the engineer out at a cost to me of £60 which I am not will to pay. So what I am willing to do is get an engineer (neighbour 2 doors down) to do it and then if it was a faulty BT socket simply bill PN my charges to fix my own line or I simply change it myself and no one will ever know.
@ Townman: I understand exactly what you are saying but should the sync rate change several times a day and at present my sync is 7.936 kbps, my profile is 6000 but this should be higher.
Ran a test..
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

From the same PN support page I referenced before...
20CN products: the IP Profile will be recalculated after your line is deemed stable (up to 3 days without disconnection)

All those router reboots detracts from attaining 3 days of stability.
Synch speed is unlikely to be the same from synch to synch if there is some interference / noise present - on each synch it will do the best it can at the target SNRM for the line.  The more disconnects, the higher the target SNRM, the lower the synch speed.
Is the phone line noisy dial 17070 option 2 and check periodically.  If this is a very old NTE5 without a split face plate which exposes a hidden test socket, then you might be able to get some traction on a NTE5 replacement.  If it is a removable plate, then a new one (including a built-in ADSL filter) can be obtained for around £9 or a full NTE5 socket for £3.60 - see here - http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Telephones_and_Accessories_Index/NTE5/index.html
Hardly seems worth the argument to me...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rackstraw2006
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
All those router reboots detracts from attaining 3 days of stability.

Trying but can not stop router restarting its self.
Hardly seems worth the argument to me...

Well if I decide to deduct £5.00 less each month from PN bill for the slow, faulty service, they would chase me and take me to court demanding the money.
Now where is the difference me asking for a service that my line has had previously and can support, it may not be much to some but after all I am paying for it (AT THE MOMENT).
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Quote from: rackstraw2006
Yep I was quoted 7.5 Mbps on the call to move home and 8 Mbps when my line was connected as well as through the bt line checker. At this moment my sync is 7.3 (lower than quoted) but a problem is the sync speed now of 7.3 Mbps (BRAS of 6500) but my speed test show a download speed of around 5.6 Mbps which is not what my line should be.
The BT socket is very old in fact it has the old "T" telecom logo on it and does look like its seen better days. Now if my cat / dog or hoover hits the cables or BT socket my ping time increases from around 30ms to 150+ and the broadband light flashes on the hub so to solve this, I restart the router and it will re sync lower / higher but the ping and download speed will return back to the previous settings.
I have already tried 2 other routers / cable and filters and all do the same (The ones I use now shown the best results). Tomorrow I will purchase a brand new NTE5 socket and get it fitted.
I have managed 6 consecutive days online without a reboot either manually or the router and so far that was the best.
I was told in my ticket to restart my router after 4 hours because the BRAS and sync did not match was (7.8 sync and 6000 BRAS) which I have done now my synced dropped to 7.3 and BRAS seems the same at 6000.
I am giving up with it now.

If you're happy that the fault isn't anything to do with your internal wiring or any faulty equipment, I'm more than happy to arrange for an engineer to visit.
rackstraw2006
Grafter

What an absolutely disgusting customer service, I have been complaining for 13 days and now you offer to send out an engineer.
Sorry but the engineer will have to wait until I return later next week because the wife does not have a clue what to say to them. Now if you had arranged this for last week of even this week it would have been great but because PN thought their is either no fault or it was my equipment so tough.
You did nothing for 13 days and as such I have already purchased a new NTE5 box and will have it fitted next week and I will be sending PN the bill for the box and fitting.
If it works great and if not then you can send out the engineer then.
zubel
Community Veteran

There have been several offers to send an engineer in this thread, but you seem to be just being ignorant to the reasons why you may be charged.
I suggest you go ahead and do what you say you will, and I'll grab the popcorn.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You really have got the art of getting people "on to your side" honed down to a fine art - not!  Undecided
Courtesy costs nothing and wins people over, whilst rudeness simply gets people's back up.
Hope your new NTE5 - the fitting of which is technically illegal - sorts out your problem.

rackstraw2006
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
There have been several offers to send an engineer in this thread, but you seem to be just being ignorant to the reasons why you may be charged.
I suggest you go ahead and do what you say you will, and I'll grab the popcorn.

Offered twice but I am not will to pay £99 (was £60 the other day) if a fault is found in anything other than BT equipment.
You really have got the art of getting people "on to your side" honed down to a fine art - not!  Undecided
Courtesy costs nothing and wins people over, whilst rudeness simply gets people's back up.
Hope your new NTE5 - the fitting of which is technically illegal - sorts out your problem.

Wow "sarcasm" well done. I was not trying to be rude so if I have offended yourself or anyone else then I am sorry.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: rackstraw2006
Offered twice but I am not will to pay £99 (was £60 the other day) if a fault is found in anything other than BT equipment.

Therefore the question which needs to be examined is "Has everything reasonably possible been done to eliminate the possibility that the fault is on your side of the NTE5 test socket if it has one?".
Does your NTE5 have a removable face plate which exposes a test socket?  If yes that face plate is your equipment, if not its BTOR's.
If there is a test socket does the issue occur when connected to the test socket?
Have you tried a different filter?
Have you tried a different router?
If you have done all of these things then there is not much room for the fault to be in your equipment.  However the standard contractural terms from BTOR (not PlusNET) is the end users commitment to accept that a service fee could be levied if the fault is found to be in the user's equipment.  Chris will correct me if I'm wrong - fault found in user's equipment is quite different to no fault found at time of inspection, where the fault is reported as being intermittent.
The bottom line is that you cannot get BTOR on site without agreeing to this clause, no matter which CP / ISP provides your phone / broadband service.  For what its worth I've had numerous BTOR visits for an intermittent issue which found no fault and have yet to be charged.
HTH with your decision making process.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If there is no fault at the time of engineer testing, it technically should be a chargeable visit, however, if a further engineer goes out and finds a fault and fixes it, the before mentioned charge is no longer valid as really there was a fault there.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Sorry?
If there was no fault, the engineer would not be visiting. If the engineer fails to *find* any fault that should not mean the visit is chargable. If the fault is found in the customers equipment, THEN it is reasonable for the visit to be chargeable.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If we send an engineer out that doesn't find any fault with the service, even though the End User says there is, that's going to be chargeable.
If there was no fault, the engineer would not be visiting.

That exactly why we ask for a number of tests to be carried out. We don't ask them to be carried without good reason. We want to be sure there isn't a fault internally and basically, try and prove that it's an Openreach Network Fault.
I've seen people demand a engineer be sent out because there is a fault (charges accept by the End User) and there's been no fault found. The issue that was recognised was that the extension cabling wasn't of the required standard to hold a stable connection upstairs - now that's not a fault, that's internal equipment.
If we prove the fault after a number of engineers to be on the Openreach Network, you won't be charged for the visits.
rackstraw2006
Grafter

Right, Okay.
I am not trying to be nasty or rude I just want help.
I have spoke to my neighbours both side and they both are syncing at 8128 Kbps and one did say his profile was 7150 Mbps with a good stable connection. At this point I decided to check everything to do with the setup I have.
So I have checked, double checked and even triple checked my router connection and cables and all are fine. I have a BT master socket with a face plate and connect to the test socket and ran a speed test on the line and get a speed of 5.3 Mbps (Link: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3609446638)
I have synced at a very sad 6.906 Kbps which is low for my connection (See stats) but over the weekend because of the thunderstorms causing a surge it made the router go mental and reset several times, now I can not do a full BT speed test as this fails but according to PN web site my current line speed is 5.5 Mbps.
Now I done a quiet line test (17070 option 2) and its is quiet but you can here a static noise in the background.
Now I am 100% my line is capable of syncing at 8128 with a profile of 7150  as it done this during the 10 day training.
My stats
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 1 days, 18:19:27
Downstream: 6.906 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 8.0 dB / 25.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 17.1 dB / 6.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 60806 / 34
CRC Events (Down/Up): 103 / 3
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 1514 / 4
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 100 / 11

Please help either send an engineer or tell me what to do to improve thing.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sure. The best route in my opinion, is to go for an engineer visit.
You've ruled out the possibility of this being an internal issue. If you could reply to Ticket: 87402007 with your availability for a visit, we'll get you that booked in.