Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection, but have DSL sync!

balmedie
Dabbler

No connection, but have DSL sync!

Hi folks (particularly the plus.net techs),
My connection at home has been down since 4am on the 25th, and whilst I do have a support case open and am sure everything is being done to get me back online...Im interested as to what the problem might be as Im an IT Consultant.
My home router is a Cisco 877w (although I do have a Cisco 2821 I use for my home training lab which has an ADSL WIC in it) - So between support and myself we quickly diagnosed the fault isnt at my end (tested both routers doing the same and swapped filters etc....)
Whats happening is that Im getting sync (carrier detect if you wish), but the PPP session never comes up - I did run some debugs on my router, but I never made a note of them....having worked with Cisco kit for a number of years, Im familiar with a lot of what its telling me, but Ive never delved deep into troubleshooting ATM/PPP issues - something rings a bell about ILMI events in the debug (not sure if they were relevant though).
Looking at the status lights and watching the debug output though, I was definately able to tell that it was sending requests (TX LED would flash about 8 times, with 8 debug entries generated) and then stop for a minute, then do it again, it just does this constantly....in a loop....so it looks as if something isnt responding to my connection requests?
I dont think its exchange related, all my neighbours are still online (albeit different ISP's) and its a small village/town with its own telephone exchange - and there are no incidents recorded for my exchange...
As I say, Im just curious - any thoughts?Huh
Cheers
Paul
21 REPLIES 21
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: No connection, but have DSL sync!

Hi balmedie,
I'm just having a look at your account now to see what can be gathered.
Authentication issues like this (if not caused by anything in the customers domain) can be either an account level problem at our side or an issue with our suppliers. Where as we need to look into this further I suspect the latter.
With supplier faults we're not always party to the precise cause of faults but I'll endeavour to find out what I can for you.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
balmedie
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
Cool - anything would be handy (im just fingers crossed that it gets sorted soon....really starting to feel like Ive lost a limb Smiley
Typically it had to happen on a week that I am on 24 hour call (which means an internet connection is pretty critical)
Cheers
Paul
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem.
I've logged the fault with BT Wholesale now so I'll keep you abreast of what their findings are.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
balmedie
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
Yep just saw the case updates....interesting!
lets hope BT are able to respond nice and quick Smiley
Cheers for the input
Regards
Paul
balmedie
Dabbler

Just noticed the update - and I can see that my router is backup and running!  Smiley (I cant connect to it remotely)
On the case notes I see that your note says "clear rejected" - any further explanation? - Is it one of those BT says "nothing wrong" and it miraculously starts working (seen that soooo many times in the past, particularly on good old ISDN circuits!)
Regardless - Im a happy man - so cheers for your efforts!
Thanks
Paul
balmedie
Dabbler

that should have said "I CAN connect to it remotely!!!!" - keyboards fault!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yes, a clear on the fault tends to mean that no issue was found as the result of remote testing alone. It sounds like the rejection of that fault status prompted maintenance at the exchange. I can't really specify precisely what was causing the fault but I'll stick by this being related to the BRAS in some way.
That's what I like to see, a fast fault turn-around. Hope things remain stable for you!
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chesterfield
Grafter

Same issue here - sync, but no connection.
Logs suggest that ERX27.SHEFFIELD5.BROADBAND.BT.NET is at fault.  I can see that a couple of days ago a problem was detected and resolved on ERX26, which affected my area code (01773), but it mustnt have affected my line as connection appeared fine.  All was fine last night too until at least 10pm when I went to bed.
This morning, I have sync but no connection.  Thought Id leave it as I was going to work anyway at 8.30.  Return home at 5.30pm and its still not working.  I havent raised an official support ticket as I really cant be bothered to go through the steps that I know are in place to weed out the user end faults - reset router, conect using a patch lead instead of wirless, check the phones, etc etc..
Im getting a sync to the exchange, so there is nothing worng with the DSL circuit.  Its the authentication side or something outside of my control affecting it.  There is nothing listed for my area code on current faults or planed maintenance according to usertools/zen/kitz.
Of out to dinner, maybe it will have ben picked up by BT when I get back.  Smiley
chesterfield
Grafter

Just as a side note, I can conect using the BT test login (bt_test_user@startup_domain), but using my plus net account, its chap failure and lcp tunel error.  Very much BT's error somewhere, and its been like this for at least 10/11 hours...  Yet you cant complain to the people directly providing the service, only the poor souls at the ISP that take the flak for the failure of those runing the infrastructure. What a joke industry  Grin
Name one other industry where I cant complain to those directly responsible for providing the service...
If the government want to move our infrastructure forward then this would be the best way to do it.  The sooner BT Wholesale themselves have to start taking the flak for the service they provide the better.  They may actually care then.
x47c
Grafter

'tis standard practice everywhere business & personal that you complain to the organisation immediately supplying you with whatever that it.
You do not deal direct with their sub suppliers.  BT is a sub supplier to Plusnet
BT has inherited a set of dire infrastructure from the days of the GPO - when it was publically owned
BT really don't want to be spending their days sorting out endless rats nest messes of dodgy wiring in street boxes installing in the 1960's - or worse...but would you be prepared to spend the amount in terms of increased phone/broadband prices it would cost to rip it all out and start again?
You are probably paying around £15 or so for your broadband per month - that is 50p per day.
Quite how anyone expects BT to improve broadband infrastructure for you based on those sorts of return per person escapes me.
chesterfield
Grafter

its actually £22 a month for 20gb peak.  and the overheads are peanuts for bt. then there's the £10 line rental.  that'd nearer £400 a year from one customer.  say 4000 connections to an exchange.  Thats 1.6m fir a small town exchange.  plenty enough.  before you even take into account business charges and wholesale charges to isp's.
a quick look at bt wholesale accounts shows they are more concerned about their shareholders than providing a decent service.
while in most industries you do complain to those immediately supplying the product or service, you aren't prevented from taking issues up with the real provider like you are in the broadband market.  no other industry what so ever allows the provider to simply say "sorry we don't speak to consumers, take it up with your retailer". None.
prichardson
Grafter

Folks,
Do you have the full PPP debug at all? This along with your ATM and Dialer interface details (minus your password I appreciate).
These will significantly help, as we are not seeing any incoming attempts and the fact you suggest you are seeing said data, shows that the ATM layer has not been locked (i.e. we should be)
chesterfield
Grafter

this is the best my router gives. sorry.  forget the timestamps as my router has been reset.
Jan 1 01:51:18 localhost daemon.debug pppd[2263]: using channel 173
Jan 1 01:51:18 localhost daemon.notice pppd[2263]: Connect: ppp0 <--> 0.0.38
Jan 1 01:51:45 localhost daemon.debug pppd[2263]: rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0xf0 , name = "ERX27.Sheffield5"]
Jan 1 01:51:45 localhost daemon.debug pppd[2263]: sent [CHAP Response id=0xf0 <5631733b919f0ff7724065624e20eb2a>, name = "xxxxxxxxx@plus.net"]
Jan 1 01:52:26 localhost daemon.debug pppd[2263]: rcvd [CHAP Failure id=0xf0 "lcp tunnel failed"]
Jan 1 01:52:26 localhost daemon.notice pppd[2263]: Connection terminated.
chesterfield
Grafter

still down.  erx27 is at fault. not identified as s fault yet either.  looks like i will have to be the one who gets to prat about with my router and phone sockets in order to try and fix a bt fault... Roll_eyes