cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection - broadband light flashing, internet light off

caitblick
Grafter

No connection - broadband light flashing, internet light off

Our broadband connection has been somewhat dodgy since about October last year but the issue seems to be intermittent. We were told we'd need a BT engineer to come out but would be charged if there was no fault or we weren't home, due to the fault not being there all the time and the fact I was experiencing a high risk pregnancy and could have gone into hospital at a moment's notice, we left it and funnily enough after the checks were done on the line it seemed to right itself, providing we left a phone plugged into the line.

Recently we've noticed the connection speed dropping off dramatically and the times when the connection drops off completely have increased. Normally when this happens unplugging the router from the phone line for a few moments then plugging it back in again and strangely, plugging the phone into the main line and lifting the handset, plugging the filter back in, plugging the phone back into it. Usually the internet connection comes back within seconds, though no one knows why this should fix the problem but it works consistently enough that it's not chance.

This morning it happened again, we did the usual unplugging and plugging in the phone and it fixed the problem, just like yesterday. We've come in this evening and the same thing again but it seemed to take a long time to come back on.

When it goes out the WiFi light stays on and it's still picked up as an available connection on our devices (the WiFi symbol with an exclamation mark), the power light is obviously on but the broadband light flashes and the internet light goes off.

When I've been in contact with Plusnet I've been told there's no fault on the line (though our dial tone sounds strange to my ear, like a two tone sound - we don't have message waiting or any similar service that would explain this) though I have been told that the line does seem to drop frequently.

I've logged into the router and done a reset in there a few weeks ago when the account was deactivated and reactivated due to a problem on the account (being redirected to a page for non-payment of our bill despite payment being taken and not due for another two weeks) as well as a reset using a paperclip and the button on the box but the problem with losing the connection is persisting.

There's nothing worse than sitting up with a hungry baby at 3am and not being able to keep yourself awake by playing online. 😉

Is there anything else I can try before we go down the route of getting BT out to check the line (I'm on Mat Leave now so I am available during the day now, but I worry that we'll be charged since the fault doesn't seem to be apparent all the time)?

Thanks.

P.S. While typing this it's just gone off again so I've had to post using my phone's data. Luckily I've got into the habit of copying anything I type before I hit post due to this issue!
14 REPLIES 14
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: No connection - broadband light flashing, internet light off

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Your connection is certainly intermittent as shown below

Our tests aren't showing any issues but that's not to say there isn't a fault.

I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
caitblick
Grafter

Thanks Matthew.

That certainly tallies up with when we've been experiencing the breaks in our connection. We home at 7pm yesterday and didn't know how long it had been out for, looks like it was most of the day. Then we were up around 4am and noticed there was no connection, fiddled with it around 8.30am and got it back for about ten minutes, then lost it again around 9am and nothing since.

Just working through the fault reporting now, when my little boy lets me put him down I'll be able to complete the testing it's asking and hopefully we'll be able to get it sorted quickly.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

No problem.

If you can let us know once you've done it we'll get that picked up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
caitblick
Grafter

I tried raising a fault using that link but as I was trying to fill it in the broadband came back (albeit very slowly) but the phone line disappeared (no dial tone). So I called on my mobile because I didn't know whether to log it as a phone fault or a broadband one.

I spoke to someone who ran some checks on the line and asked me to plug the filter et al into the test socket which I did. I've been told to leave it all plugged in here for three days and that I might need a new filter or faceplate to resolve the issue.

It did initially improve the connection. I was able to watch two whole videos on YouTube with no buffering or decrease in picture quality. I can't remember the last time that happened.

But now it's gone off again. Back to the flashing broadband light/no internet light. And now we have no dial tone either (before when I checked after I'd plugged the filter into the test socket there was a dial tone but it was very noisy).

Should I be waiting three days for whatever is being done in the background? Or can I report this as a phone fault now?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

From what I can see your connection has been stable for 3 days. How are things looking now?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
caitblick
Grafter

It's been fantastic, thanks. No connection drop since the settings got changed in the background when I called. It's been faster than I can remember too.

Thanks for your help. Smiley
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear that!

No problems. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
caitblick
Grafter

Could someone take another look into this for me?

We came home yesterday to no internet again, we'd been out all day so not sure when it had gone off. I unplugged everything, fiddled with the router, said a few choice words Wink and it came back again, but I've woken at 6am to no internet again which is the sort of pattern we were following before.

I suspect it may be related but we tried using the landline on Thursday for an incoming call for the first time in months and although it rang, when I answered it the person heard me say 'hello', then the line crackled and cut out. There's not currently a dial tone when plugged into the test socket behind the faceplate.

Thanks in advance.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @caitblick sorry to hear the issue has returned Sad

Testing has located an external phone fault so I have raised this to our suppliers for further investigation and we should expect an update within around 2 working days.

I have created a fault ticket and you can view this here.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
caitblick
Grafter

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for picking this up and I look forward to the update. Smiley
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Has there been an Openreach response on this please @Gandalf

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Unfortunately not yet.

The estimated response time we've been advised of is by 25/04/18 23:59:59.

We should know more after this date.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
caitblick
Grafter

Thanks, hopefully we'll hear something soon. The internet connection has been dropping pretty constantly today; 5.30am, 8.30am, around 10/11am (I think), it's just gone off again now.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @caitblick, I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by the dropping connection.

I've checked and our suppliers have advised that they have cleared the external fault yesterday afternoon. Your broadband connection looks to have been stable since then:

Please let us know if you experience any further problems.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team