Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection........again

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

No connection........again

Morning all
I posted sometime ago regarding a problem with my mums broadband connection ( i referred her to plusnet).
Occasionally she would lose her connection to the internet (actually it wasn’t occasional, it was inevitable). Her connection could only be re-established if i reset the router to factory setting and re-inputted the plusnet connection details.
Last time I was there I switched the routers, she has my Thomson one (Plusnet's!) and i have her Belkin router (just to see if my connection would drop out). The same thing is happening now, she lost connection sometime on Saturday and cannot connect. Powering down and restarting does nothing!
This is obviously a problem with the line, but not something i have ever heard of, what ever is coming down the line is wiping the router settings (login etc) so i am unsure of what steps to follow, has anyone had the same sort of problem?
If i reset the router and run the fault diagnostics in the Plusnet member section surely it will tell me that i am connected and there are no problems, but it WILL break again sometime soon.
HELP PLEASE  Cry
30 REPLIES 30
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: No connection........again

Hi mrmarkus, I'd be happy to look at this for you/her - do you have a ticket number or username please?
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Thanks Matt
The username is ldickson, let me know what you find?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well it's showing as in sync, but there's no active connection and I can't see any incorrect logins on there (or indeed any since 6:28pm on Saturday when the connection dropped) which is worrying. Have you had chance to have a look? I'd recommend trying the test logins and see if either of those work:
bt_test@startup_domain (no password, or password if the router won't accept that)
if that works:
bt_test_user@plusdsl.net (same password details as above).
Neither will actually offer a working connection however it counts as a success if the router shows it's connected.
If both of those work, try her own login details. If those work, then I'm not sure what's happening but if you report back with symptoms then I'll definitely be able to help further.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Thanks for that Matt. So she is connected to the exchange but has no internet connection, is that right?
I dont know what symptoms i can tell you of, it just loses connection to the internet after X amount of time, on 2 different routers?
I will be going there after work and will try the test logins, obviously it isnt good enough that i have to reset her router every week or two, but i will get back to you this evening.tomorrow.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

There is NO dsl to the property. The dsl light on the router does not flash it is off - sall the time.
have started broadband checks, any help to speed this process along would be helpful!
Apprentice
Grafter

If there is a BT NTE5 master socket remove the screws and unplug the lower half of the faceplate which might have extension wires connected to it and then connect the router into the test socket as seen at the back of the picture attached.
See if the router syncs with the exchange and if so try to connect to PN with login details etc.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

There is no master socket,. its quite old!
Apprentice
Grafter

There will be one but it will be an older type to the NTE5, you might find it shown in the following link:-
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm
and the NTE5 etc.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not true apprentice, I dont have a master socket, the main connection is a grot box with terminals and wires in and out, no socket
ramidoodle
Grafter

Quote from: mrmarkus1981
There is no master socket,. its quite old!

The best thing to do in this case is to get the fault raised to BTw so that we can send an engineer out for you. However, I would like to test the line while the router is completely unplugged from the line. if the result are still showing in sync whilst the router unplugged then its jumpering fault at the exchange.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

The router is completely unplugged from the wall now, can you run these tests?
James
Grafter

Hi Markus,
If the router is still unplugged, it's still showing as in sync, so as Rami suggests, it's probably a line card issue at the exchange if it (the router) hasn't been plugged back in again.
Apprentice
Grafter

@ pierre_pierre
Thanks, that's something new I've learned  Smiley
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Its still unplugged.....So what next Jameseh ?