cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband - not due to migrate for another 3 days

kreynolds
Grafter

No broadband - not due to migrate for another 3 days

Got up this morning to find no synch on the router, as I'm not due to migrate until Tuesday I thought it was a fault.  BB synch lost at 03:30.
According to PN the new ISP has done a cease order on the line, and according to the new ISP this is not due until Tuesday and there would be no one in the exchange at 03:30!!!!!!!.  So either PN or the new ISP is giving me the wrong information.
Either way, the only way I can get on the net is to use the 0845 dial up connection which is going to cost a fair bit.  Not a happy bunny!!!!!!! Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
17 REPLIES 17
techguy
Grafter

Re: No broadband - not due to migrate for another 3 days

You didn't tell your ISP that you had actually given your mac to a new provider did you?
As if they were bloody minded there is nothing to stop them from asking BT to cancel the ADSL circuit or it could be just sheer incompetence on the part  of your soon to be former ISP.
Hope a similar thing doesn't happen to me (due to go live one PN next Friday but aside from requesting the MAC have said nothing to my current ISP, I'll let BT do that.

kreynolds
Grafter

The MAC came from Plus Net, and they knew the date of migration
Ianwild
Grafter

It actually costs us money (there is a BT charge) when a line is ceased as supposed to it being migrated away. As such, I can be pretty be sure we didn't order the cease. My guess is that your new ISP is moving you to LLU and has taken control of your line early. I'm sure though that someone with access to more data than I will be able to confirm what has happened.
Kind Regards,
Ian
James
Grafter

Hi Karl,
I've just been talking to Mark (who let me know about your problem before I'd had a chance to log into our forums).
We will never place a cease order on someone's account that is migrating. To be honest with you, I don't even think we can.  If an outbound migration order (or inbound from the gaining ISP) is placed, then we can't place an additional order as it would fail as a duplicate.
We also have no control over an outbound migration.  The responsibility of that order lies solely with BT OpenReach and O2.  It sounds like OpenReach have placed a cease order early, which could easily mean that O2 incorrectly submitted the information to them.
I'm really sorry that you're having problems, but I don't think there's actually anything we can do to help on a bodged outbound migration.
techguy
Grafter

O2 definitely are LLU and so would have requested that OpenReach move your ADSL feed to their equipment.
I have to say though, I think you'll find their customer support disappointing.
I used them for one month (I have an O2 mobile), while the speed was good, the dire state of the local loop where I am meant that the connection kept dropping (have had BT look into this before but its a problem with the local infrastructure so there's nothing they can do)
Anyway, I claimed under their moneyback guarantee and returned their equipment.
I rang a week later and  they had not cancelled the service (despite my use of a MAC and were getting ready to debit me again), the guy cancelled the service and said I should receive a refund once the equipment was received.
£1.75 was credited back to my bank account.
I left it three weeks and rang again, I was told that the equipment had been received and the refund was sent a few days after the £1.75, I told him I had not received and he said 'oh you'll have to send in your bank statements then'
Now I bank with an internet bank and so I have to pay £2.50 a sheet if I want a paper statement so for 1 month that would be £5.
I asked who II was to send these to, was given an address in Leeds and was told to address it to 'Mark' along with his surname (which I forget now)
I asked who 'Nark' was (Customer Service Manager, Accounts Manager) but the guy flatly refused to answer the question.
Frankly I wasn't going to hand over statements to someone who could have just been a call centre crettin (the vast majority of folks in CCs do a fantastic job) and lose most of what I was trying to get back in bank charges so I put it down to experience
So my apologies to Plusnet (who I am waiting to join( but this kind of incompetence on behalf of Be/O2 doesn't surprise me.
O2 are good as a mobile phone firm but I'd never do business with their broadband division again.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont you believe it, I was on O2 phone contract and worked out I would be better off transferring to PAYG on a new phone, transfer went through on the correct time and day, but the payment side was utter madness, took three month to get the extra payments they took and sort out the call charging.  OK now, top up £10 per month and get 500 mins free calls, supposedly from home, but so far up to 1.5 mile away free, having trouble spending the £10, I am using it to look at the BBC headlines on the net.
prichardson
Grafter

To throw 2p into the pot, you may want to try one thing. Don't know how well it will work.
Most providers should be able to tell you who is currently providing the service with a little validation first.
geewizz
Grafter

Let's test that one.
Who is my current service provider?
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
dont you believe it, I was on O2 phone contract and worked out I would be better off transferring to PAYG on a new phone, transfer went through on the correct time and day, but the payment side was utter madness, took three month to get the extra payments they took and sort out the call charging.  OK now, top up £10 per month and get 500 mins free calls, supposedly from home, but so far up to 1.5 mile away free, having trouble spending the £10, I am using it to look at the BBC headlines on the net.

Yeah am PAYG too, I sit back and laugh as my colleagues chuck £25+ at phone companies so that they can carry the latest 'must have' phone while I carry my trusty K800i
I only top up when my balance gets low so it can last me 6 months as I don't have any bolt ons and avoid calling mobiles.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: techguy
Yeah am PAYG too, I sit back and laugh as my colleagues chuck £25+ at phone companies so that they can carry the latest 'must have' phone while I carry my trusty K800i
I only top up when my balance gets low so it can last me 6 months as I don't have any bolt ons and avoid calling mobiles.

I gave O2 PAYG the heave-ho once I'd used up my credit after they moved me and lots more disgruntled customers to a new, more expensive tariff a few years ago (long story involving half truths on the part of O2, who tried to make us buy new phones, and a BBC backed campaign!) and am now with Tesco PAYG - same network (piggybacks on O2), cheaper calls than on my original BT Cellnet/O2 tariff even, esp with 5 half price 'favourite numbers' and flat rate so mobiles cost same as landline. Laughing all the way!  Grin
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
puddy
Grafter

I have 2 02 monthly accounts one for me and one for the MRS 
When going for a mobile phone ask for clearance phones or sim card only deals.  My current account costs £40 but I send my bills in at month 4 8 and 12 thus at the end of 12 months its free.  If you need a phone go for a clearance deal but you have to ask
They pay me to have a mobile because I get 500 free text and 600 minutes free per-month.  You won’t get these offers in the shops only on-line  this is my 3rd year with cpw they text me to say they have a copy of my invoice and then text me a week later to say the money in my bank.
e2save do these deals but stay away from them they never pay up which is strange considering cpw own them.  Only get a 12 month contract they will push for 18 months like most mobile phone companies but be firm and say NO they will back down rather than lose a customer
You won’t get these deals in November- December or August-September.  I get mine at end of May-June when sales are down in the quiet months

Puddy
kreynolds
Grafter

This gets stranger.........
I have broadband back this morning on...................... PN Huh
Mon, 2000-01-03 05:03:00 - Initialize LCP.
Mon, 2000-01-03 05:03:00 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Mon, 2000-01-03 05:03:06 - CHAP authentication success
Mon, 2000-01-03 05:03:14 - Send out NTP request to 130.88.200.9
Mon, 2000-01-03 05:04:36 - Send out NTP request to time-g.netgear.com
Mon, 2008-09-15 23:03:46 - Receive NTP Reply from time-g.netgear.com
Mon, 2008-09-15 23:07:05 - LCP down.
Tue, 2008-09-16 03:14:40 - Initialize LCP.
Tue, 2008-09-16 03:14:40 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Tue, 2008-09-16 03:14:42 - CHAP authentication success
IP Address  80.229.140.69
Network Type PPPoA
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
Gateway IP Address 195.166.128.93

Me now very confused Smiley
James
Grafter

Pretty strange.
When is your order due to complete?
pierre_pierre