cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband detection on Vista

meidaniel

No broadband detection on Vista

Hi there,
I've carried on with PlusNet on my new Vista Home Basic notebook. The computer does not detect my wired LAN broadband connection unless I go through the tedious 'diagnose & repair' procedure every time. Is there a hardwear fault or have I missed something? I'm using a Voyager 210 router and it worked brilliantly on XP.
Thank you
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: No broadband detection on Vista

I suspect the problem is more likely to be related to your notebook not picking up your ethercard card properly unless you forcibly tell it to.
Have a search around to see if there are any updated drivers for your card?
meidaniel

Hi there,
Thanks for your quick reply. What you suggest sounds right but Windows say I already have the most updated driver. Any other ideas?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The best driver won't necessarily be the one windows offers as a download from windowsupdate. I'd have a look at the manufacturers website for any driver updates, that goes for if it's a separate network card or if it's onboard (i.e. part of the motherboard).
Hope that helps,
samuria
Grafter

With Vista there is the stupid network profile which gives you different settings for each profile. So you may have one profile for wireless and another for wired.
The problem may be its not getting the right one. Setting a static ip for the network card should fix it unless you move from network to network.
meidaniel

Hi there,
Could you advise on setting a static IP. I checked on updated drivers with ACER and they don't even list my Extensa 4220.