cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband all afternoon and can't get any service

MacronX
Grafter

No broadband all afternoon and can't get any service

When did Pluset get so bad?? Broadband died suddenly this afternoon. Used my phone to contact plusnet on Twitter which was a total waste of time.
Kept trying to phone and after 30 minutes or so finally got to speak to a cocky horrible little boy who was more interested in threatening to charge me £60 in case it was somehow my fault than actually helping me.
My broadband is still totally dead, I'm getting no help at all and I've been forced to spend all day jumping through hoops trying every single possible solution and test over and over again which has proved to be an utter waste of time. And all the while I'm paying for this privilege.
Tomorrow I'm calling cancellations if it still isn't working or if someone with at least half decent manners won't help me.
22 REPLIES 22
prichardson
Grafter

Re: No broadband all afternoon and can't get any service

Checks on your line show a loop condition which means there is a wiring of connection problem inside of the property beyond the master socket.
This could be a phone, filter, modem, extension cable or any other device attached to the line that could be causing this.
I would advise you connect direct to the test socket with an alternative broadband filter.
If that fails, we recommend you detach everything from the line and contact your phone provider to run a line check too, as the test results detected are a physical line fault on the line itself. I appreciate the phone may be operational, however this is a line defect that is maintained by the phone provider.
If their test passes, the next step will be to replace the modem for you.
Let us know how you get on.
I can assure you the cost notification is far from a threat. The service supplied is a self installed service and attached to your internal phone connection which you maintain. If as a result of a visit the external network is operational normally and only defective due to equipment you installed yourself, the charges for the engineering time would be passed on. The checks we are advising are pretty simple, are designed to significantly reduce the risk of charges being applied, but more importantly get you back online quickly and simply through self diagnosis.
MacronX
Grafter

Tried different filters and now tried a different router. It's not working! There is nothing wrong with the wiring in my house, we have A Zen business broadband service coming into the same wiring which is working fine and being used for another purpose.
There is nothing wrong here. Why is it you people put all your effort into trying to find a million ways to blame someone else instead of just helping? Your customer service is a joke, you take 20 minutes plus to answer the phone and when you do I have to speak to some obnoxious little child who is more bothered about making silly threats to charge me more money than actually helping me.
I want this sorted now. I'm going to cancel my direct debit to plusnet at 9am tomorrow and I will be charging YOU for wasting my time and preventing me from working.
Please will you just stop making excuses now and do something?Huh
matt_2k34
Grafter

You've been given the caution that you may be charged if BT deem the fault is yours. In which case when you get asked just get them to send an engineer to look for the fault. if engineer finds said fault (e.g. deteriation or degredation of an extention, a short in the cabling or corrosion any point after the test socket) then you are liable for the £60 fee BT levy. (This can be higher tbh)
If theres no DSL sync on your modem/router then of course, the issue lies with wiring either internally or externally.
I'm going to cancel my direct debit to plusnet at 9am tomorrow

If you want bayliffs this is the way to go. and is particularly puerile. Ironic that you talk about a 'little child' you spoke to at plusnet, who actually was only trying to point out that the bill resides with you if the problem is your end.
I will be charging YOU for wasting my time and preventing me from working.

If your line is that important, may i suggest using a Plusnet business broadband product, the line is answered normally almost instantly when calling CS. Secondly as a residential broadband product, theres a 3 day SLA for BT to do anything about said problem. Thirdly its against the T&C's of the residential product to use it for business purposes.
Checks on your line show a loop condition which means there is a wiring of connection problem inside of the property beyond the master socket.

You have not stated you've tried the master socket. Which is the first place you should have tested to eliminate internal wiring.
Please will you just stop making excuses now and do something?Huh

Its hardly an excuse, You've been given a "this is what normally causes the error when it appears on the line test" explanation. Its your responsibility to check that this is the case.
I dont understand the aggressiveness of your post, yes having no broadband is frustrating, and yes a percieved 'poor' response from customer service is irritating. However as the person you spoken to isnt here, nor is it the people who have tried to help you - it seems a little unfair to be aggressive towards the community forums, whom are majority made up of plusnet customers as well as several volunteers and is only manned by staff during the day (post 9-5 rant means it will be picked up at probably 9am tomorrow, you need to give them chance to actually see the post before you call cancellations, no?)
Regards
(short version)
Plug into the master socket, eliminating other wiring.
If you are 100% happy that the issue is not behind the test socket (i.e. your side of the line) get an engineer to come and take a look (the caution of a £60 BT OPENREACH imposed 'fine' is real and may happen if it is deemed that the issue has arisen from your equipment)
prichardson
Grafter

I can assure you, I am not trying to find any way to blame yourself. Far from it, the checks I have advise do quite the opposite.
Looking at this logically. You have raised a fault via our Broadband Faults Checker, which runs automatic tests against your line, in much the same way as asking your phone provider to run a line test does.
This is capable of detecting defects on the copper line and in the case of your line has. Fortunateness the fault it has detected is in one of two places, either internally or with the phone line itself, which we don't supply.
I can fully appreciate that an alternate filter and modem have been tested. This is great news, it reduces the cause of your fault to be internal.
Ideally, I still need an answer to the other points I have raised, which includes contacting your phone provider for them to conduct a line test. Let them know that when we ran tests, we detected a Loop fault and they should be prepared to assist in diagnosing this.
I do understand you have a second service on a separate line. You do have to bear in mind that whilst the second line comes in via the same physical cable bundle, this does not mean that the other line has to suffer from the same fault. It could easily have been one, the other of both that had a problem.
I am more than willing to continue to offer my help in my unpaid time as I have already. However, you also need to be in a position to accept what is being offered.
MacronX
Grafter

I am frustrated as I has spent hours messing with this. I happen to be the CEO of a software company and I do actually know what I'm doing here having spent the past 12 years plus working in the IT industry. The guy waffling about bailiffs needs to get a life 😕
I've done eerything you wanted. I've tried different routers, different filters, unplugged everything in the house, rebooted the thing a million times, plugged into the master socket etc... etc... it just will not work! The Zen line is working perfectly on the other line connected to the same socket. I even took the socket apart and swapped the plugs just for the hell of it. Zen works perfectly in either, Plusnet is dead. As also states I've tried the master socket too, I've also tried every socket in the house and checked the wiring too. I've wasted hours on this and now lost money too.
Calling BT is a living nightmare and you know this. I really can't face arguing with a barely literate Indian man over something that I already know from experience is not their fault.
Please will you just try anything else to help before doting me to go through that charade?Huh
MacronX
Grafter

Oh and I did tell Plusnet I was a company CEO an using this for business and was never told about plusnet business. Yet another failing on their part. I am CEO and majority shareholder of a major registered software company and if anyone from Plusent wants to contact me for proof / company reg numbers please feel free, I have as much proof as you want. Rest assured if this is proved to be Plusnet's fault a lot of people will hear this story...
prichardson
Grafter

You don't even need to speak with a human if your line is with BT.
Use the Online test given you have access to a second service.
If this test detects the same problem we are seeing (which it will most likely do given the result type), it will most likely lead you on to advise on some of the tests we have already indicated, which you should be able to confirm are done already for obvious reasons.
matt_2k34
Grafter

MacronX
Grafter

BT confirms there is nothing wrong with the line!
I've been banging my head against a wall since 2:30pm and it is now 11:15pm
PLEASE will someone at Plusnet now help me?Huh
MacronX
Grafter

Here's a better screenshot as absolute proof.
There is nothing wrong with the line as I already knew and yet Plusnet have wasted my whole day rather than just try and help. I am disgusted right now. What else will it take to get service???
MacronX
Grafter

Am I on my own again now?  Angry
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Only until tomorrow morning Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MacronX
Grafter

Yeah, they've basically wasted my whole day doing pointless tasks and blaming anyone else on earth but themselves rather than help me.
I'm going to be speaking to cancellations tomorrow and in fact I'll probably pay money just to get rid of this wretched company as I'm sure finding a better provider is the best solution here.
Nearly 10 hours of solid torture just to avoid helping. Nice.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: MacronX
Oh and I did tell Plusnet I was a company CEO an using this for business and was never told about plusnet business. Yet another failing on their part. I am CEO and majority shareholder of a major registered software company and if anyone from Plusent wants to contact me for proof / company reg numbers please feel free, I have as much proof as you want. Rest assured if this is proved to be Plusnet's fault a lot of people will hear this story...

So when you signed up to a residential account you didn't actually read the Terms and Conditions and AUP that you agreed to. If you had you would have read in the AUP:
1.1 You are required to sign-up to an appropriate account type depending on your required utilisation. Home accounts are provided for Consumers. If you wish to use your account commercially then you must sign-up to a Business account or Teleworker account where appropriate. For guidance, we consider commercial use to be at a level above that which is running a part time Business or supporting any kind of hobby. Business accounts must be used if the account is to be used from any official Business Premises while Teleworkers are considered to be commercial use of a residential connection.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)