Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Ping 100 % packet loss

waynem
Grafter

No Ping 100 % packet loss

Morning guys ,
just switched the  good old Xbox 360 on  , checked my connection as always before starting to play  ... kept coming up MTU fault  Router is showing MTU as 1500 (which it has since it was first installed ) ...please restart your router etc , now  i,m a little bit wary about restarting router as i did a restart yesterday  and sync started to come down ! .. Did ping test etc and its showing 100% packets loss ...Grim
anyone have any ideas or helpful suggestions
thanks in advance
wayne
well bit the bullet and did restart  and things seem to have come back to normal !
however 5 mins after i did retart router rebooted again by itself !  and downstream data rate dropped from 6904  to 6649 Sad  if my connection now stays stable , how long before data rate starts to increase ?
thanks
9 REPLIES 9
waynem
Grafter

Re: No Ping 100 % packet loss

Bump ... seems this doesnt warrent an answer ?  Sad
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Try a single reboot of the router during daylight hours, that may help the negotiated speed with the exchange.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
waynem
Grafter

Hi chris
yeh i did this and it did sort the problem , seems i had an unscheduled disconnect at around 02.30am sunday morning . trouble is 5 mins later it rebooted itself ... meaning 3 reboots in 12 hrs ..and a big profile drop ...... if the connection stays stable  how long before the profile starts to recover  ?
operator me restart  ....sat 11/08/2012  at around 11.30am erratic performance
unscheduled restart  ....sun 12/08/2012  at around 02.30am ???????????????
operater me restart  ....sun 12/08/2012  at around 10.30am due to indication of MTU fault !
unscheduled restart  ....sun 12/08/2012  at around 10.35am ! after the above restart !
thanks in advance
x47c
Grafter

Assuming you on the upto 8Mb service on 20CN system
See my post below No 90 in this thread
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102515.msg872049.html#msg872049
waynem
Grafter

Hi x47c
according to service notice from PN i,m on 21CN ?
x47c
Grafter

In which case the BT IP/profile side is set to 88.3% of the router downstream sync speed at the time of sync - ie it changes immediately.
As for the Plusnet side IP/profile setting......ah yes a very controversial subject.
It is meant to follow the BT side and is set at the BT IP setting but rounded down to the nearest 0.1Mbps.
In practice it doesn't seem to be working as it should and is the subject of many heated discussions on this forum.
It is supposed to happen within a few hours of the changed sync......but
Around 3 days seems to be the time it actually takes( from my own personal experience) . Why is there a delay/lag? -no one is quite sure - the relevant data is not being picked up correctly from the BT systems somewhere.
waynem
Grafter

Thanks again , so will my sync go up again ?  and  to get it too go up do i hve to restart it  and if thats the case when is it safe to do restart so it will go up rather than down ?
x47c
Grafter

The router sync is determined by the conditions on the line at the instant time of sync and these vary by the second.
So one cannot predict exactly what the sync will be.
In general however higher sync's are obtained when you re-start during the daytime, and lower sync's are obtained when re-starting during the evening and particularly during the night.  This is primarly due to changes in the earth's atmosphere during evening/night caused by the solar wind from the sun which cause extra radio frequency interference 'noise' to be present which is picked up by your phone line and causes reduced sync.
Some locations suffer increased 'noise' on the line during working hours (industrial units nearby) so you can see that a re-boot at around 0830 am might be a good time to avoid both ends in these cases.
To make a sync go up you have to re-start the router.  Seemless rate adapation where the sync would vary 'on the fly' both up and down in response to changing line conditions was never implemented in the UK.
Regular disconnections will always worry the exchange equipment and if they are excessive it will change the line's paramaters such that the sync will always be lower  (it raises the target noise margin to do this).
Note that chasing high sync is not always the way to faster speeds.  If say you re-sync at a known quiet time and get a good/high sync, then during the day as the noise level gets higher the error rate on your line will start to rise.  This means data is being sent too fast and is being corrupted, so the data has to be re-sent by the exchange and the packets all re-assemled by the router before being passed on to the computer.  This all takes time, and the result is your achieved download speed start to reduce quite significantly - although your sync speed remains constant......until the error level becomes so bad a re-sync to a lower figure is ordered by the exchange.

waynem
Grafter

thanks again for the reply , i would just like it to at least go up to were it was before my disconnections and how it finished at the end of its training period ,will leave it a few days and the restart router  and see how it goes
thanks again