cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet Light on Router

paulbotts

No Internet Light on Router

After being a happy customer for over a year I woke up this morning to no internet. I tried any quick fixes I knew, with no luck. All the lights on the router are on, except the internet light. The broadband, WiFi, power, etc. lights are all on and normal.

After searching through the forum I think it may be an issue with the line and require an engineer visit. I wanted to check here first though before agreeing to a possible charge. Is someone able to test my line please?

I don't have a spare router to swap that out, and we don't have a landline to check the line with.
13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: No Internet Light on Router

@paulbotts Welcome to the forums. Are you on ADSL or FTTC? Is the internet light totally unlit?

You will not get any PN support until 0800 tomorrow,

As a point of interest, a cheap (~£5.00) phone from the likes of Argos is an essential tool for broadband troubleshooting.

John
paulbotts

Hi John,

Thanks for the response. I'm on ADSL and the light is totally unlit. I don't expect an official response until business hours but wanted to get the request in early anyway.

Searching through the forum has made clear how useful a cheap handset could be! I've added it to my shopping list, but am unlikely to be able to get one soon.
jab1
Legend

OK Paul. I suggest you ring in as soon after 8AM as possible. The phone wouldn't necessarily help in this situation, but it will in many others.

John
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

On the contrary I’m around. Smiley I can’t give specific information though as I’m not in the office now but you can run a phone line test online Here.

A steady broadband light indicates that, unless there’s what’s known as a cross-jumpering fault at the exchange or there’s another type of exchange fault, your router’s connected to the broadband equipment fine, so what I’d try is the following steps.

Do a factory reset of your router by pushing a paper clip into the reset pinhole at the back for 15 seconds. Let the router power up over the next 5 minutes.

If you can’t get online still, go to your router settings at 192.168.1.254, click on basic settings, type in the admin password from the back of the router, hit the disconnect button if there’s one, make sure the username is in the format of accountusername@plusdsl.net and the password would be your account password. 

Then hit the connect button and watch the magic unfold.

Failing that though I’d head on across to faults.plus.net to raise a fault ticket for further investigation.

Let us know how you get on Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jab1
Legend

There is a thing called 'bed', @Anoush 😀

John
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

@jab1 At the risk of going off-topic I am in bed Tongue

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@paulbotts wrote:
Searching through the forum has made clear how useful a cheap handset could be! I've added it to my shopping list, but am unlikely to be able to get one soon.

A phone hand set is essential and can save a lot of hassle.  Argos can often deliver to your door the same day.

Results for corded telephone in Technology, Telephones (argos.co.uk)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulbotts

Hi all, thanks for the out of hours help.

Unfortunately no luck. Tried to reset, and when I logged in to the admin console there was no button to disconnect. The status was stuck on connecting.

I also tried the link and it was unable to test my line.

I'll raise a fault ticket tonight. Thanks again for the help!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @paulbotts 

No problem at all, I'm in the office now so I've taken a closer look. Really sorry to see what's happened. We've ceased your line a week too soon, on the back of the house move. 

Unfortunately it's not as quick or easy to reactivate a service as it is to cease one but I've placed an order to reactivate your phone line which should go live again tomorrow.

I'll then replace the broadband order and with any luck you should be back up and running for the weekend. I can't guarantee that though as it'll depend on how long Openreach take to fulfil the order.

I'll check back tomorrow on the progress and post back when I know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
paulbotts

Thank you for replying Gandalf. Please keep me updated.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Paul and will do

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

For the benefit of others ... a handset would have identified no dial tone in seconds!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Paul, just to follow up unfortunately the broadband order has committed to a completion date of the 3rd June but you may be able to get back online sooner. Can you confirm your router's still plugged in and powered on?

If you still can't connect to the internet, I'm really sorry again for any hassle we've caused until you're at your new property.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet