cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No BB service for over 2 weeks. Do Plusnet care? 26192619

paulo
Grafter

No BB service for over 2 weeks. Do Plusnet care? 26192619

My BB service failed over 2 weeks ago while I was surfing.  I double checked everything and then raised a fault ticket (26192619)
The support team agreed there was a problem but could not (did not) pin point it.
After many to and fro messages and ten days later, Plusnet asked BT to visit me.  The BT engineer did not seem very competent but he agreed that there was indeed a fault as he could not get connected either.  He did say that my local line was OK and that the fault lay with Plusnet.
It would appear that niether Plusnet or BT know what is going on and seem to be no nearer getting my BB restored.    Two members of the support team have recently promised to look into this matter for me and get something done but I have heard nothing from either of them for 2 days even though they said they would keep me informed.
I have been very patient but am now getting desperate.  Can anyone help?.  What should I do next?
Paul
I can resist everything except temptation.
16 REPLIES 16
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: No BB service for over 2 weeks. Do Plusnet care? 26192619

I suggest waiting until the morning, I anticipate the Comms team will pick this up then and respond.
David
David
Mark
Grafter

Hi paulo.
I'll pick this up when I get in to work and see whats happening.
Mark
Grafter

Hi paulo.
I'm not exactly sure what the BT engineer told you, however you clearly have an intermittent synch fault on your line looking at your radius logs and the tests which have been completed. Yes when the engineer atttended he may have gotten synch but I can see that clearly, despite what the engineer seems to have told you, there is a fault. Nothing on our side can cause intermittent loss of synch. That occurs between your premises and the exchange.
Your line may be synching first time, however it is not holding the synch and repeatedly drops.
I have asked the faults team to escalate this within BT for resolution.
oliverb
Grafter

Thought I'd mention that this read a bit like a problem a friend had about a month ago. It never got raised with Plusnet as I happened to have a spare router to try and the problem went away after the modem change. I think I may have had something similar last year but it cleared itself up. At the time Plusnet concluded my router was faulty (fair conclusion) but when I swapped back to the "faulty" unit everything worked fine.
Did you have an 8M sync rate before the connection failed?
When it failed was the sync light going on and off at a 1-2 minute interval?
If you had access to your line stats was the attenuation less than 30dB?
I think something odd happens if the connection is "too good", I don't want this to descend to wild guessing but I would try different hardware, definitely.
paulo
Grafter

Thank you all for your replies.....Plusnet contacted me by phone this morning and were apologetic for the delays and were very helpful.  We discussed the problem at length and conducted serveral tests which proved almost conclusively that a line fault between me and the BT exchange exists, may be an intermittent one.  The BT engineer who called earlier this week fail to confirm any line problem.
On Plusnets advice I reported the fault on 150 to BT myself in order to get a quicker response.  Their line test showed no fault but explained that the remote line check is not always accurate so they have arranged for an engineer to visit tomorrow (Sat) morning.
Many thanks to the Plusnet team for taking up this on-going problem urgently.
Mark
Grafter

Thanks for the feedback paulo.
Hopefully we can progress this one quickly.
Laser
Grafter

I had to have a BT engineer in a while ago for a dodgy SNR problem. I too thought the checks performed (basically connect a modem and see if it works for two minutes) were inadequate. On the second visit, however, the chap was much more amenable to try different things. He ended up checking and re-making (so he said) the connections in a few cabinets on the way to the exchange. Seemed to work, anyway.  Huh
It's probably a bit "naughty", but I have read several times that a good way to get BT to do something is to report a voice fault directly to them. Don't mention the broadband, just claim there's some occasional clicking and fizzing on the line during some calls. Allegedly they'll often swap you to another pair as a quick fix, which will frequently fix a BB problem too.  Wink
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I think I read somewhere that BT are meant to stay with you for 2 hours monitoring you line if they can't find a fault any sooner.  Could be wrong on this.  Maybe James could confirm that.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zubel
Community Veteran

That's correct.
Phil Richardson confirmed this in his post here
The SFI engineer is supposed to use the entire 2 hour window to perform tests if an intermittent fault does not present itself immediately.
B.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Mine wasn't - he heard the noise on the line.
Removed the faceplate and it went so replaced the faceplate and said it seems to be fixed and went.
Took 3 more appointments to more or less fix it.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

BT chappie who came to us last year spent his time profitably up the telephone pole cleaning out all the dead spiders etc that were holding the water in (line used to play up in wet'n'windy weather only), besides changing over the 'pairs' for good measure, after he agreed there was definitely a fault. He said it didn't look as though things had been touched for years up there. Our line had been connected over 8 years for sure as we had it put in as a new connection to a new house back in 1999 and I doubt they did much other than connect it as it was done very quickly.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
paulo
Grafter

Think this has turned into a useful discussion that we can all learn from.
Will keep BTs nose to the grind-stone tomorrow if I can so that we get a good outcome.
Mind BT have swapped pairs so many times since I've lived here (25 yr)  they must be running out of good pairs in my under-ground cable by now!!
Paulo
zubel
Community Veteran

I would recommend liberally applying tea and biscuits to the engineer, and then sitting down with him and discussing the history of your line.
It may be that they keep swapping you back between the same two faulty pairs Smiley
B.
paulo
Grafter

Good idea but did not get as far as the tea and biscuits.....BT engineer called me from my exchange at 8:30, said line looks normal and could not hear any noise.....told him it must be intermittent so he said he will check every joint working out from the exchange to my place......thats the last I heard from him......no feedback or kiss my a**** .......nothing.
So back where we started.......life gets tedious don't it.
Paulo.