cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Apple TV connectivity using Thomson router

danfrancis

No Apple TV connectivity using Thomson router

I've got both new and old Apple TV's connected to an iMac running Snow Leopard latest build and iTunes 10.x. Since joining Plusnet and swapping from previous Sky/NetGear router to the supplied Thomson router both Apple TV's will not work on wireless. Cabled works fine but is not satisfactory for obvious reasons.
I've tried setting up port forwarding for 3689 etc as per numerous posts on other forums but no luck. The new Apple TV will simply not see by library, the old one will appear as a device in iTunes but then not sync with the "port 3689" error. Restarting everything helps but not for long.
I've got a "Billion BiPAC 7300N Wireless N Firewall ADSL2+ Broadband Router" on order from Amazon hoping this will be a) better than the Thomson and b) solve the issue.
Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
puddy
Grafter

Re: No Apple TV connectivity using Thomson router

Did you ask the Speedtouch router to scan for wireless connection when trying to get you computer connected to the router?
If your network not found in the list make sure your router not connected to channel 13
Puddy
danfrancis

The Thomson router is as follows:
Product Name: TG585 v8
Software Release: 8.2.7.7
Wireless options for the router are "out of the box" I've not changed anything other than passwords. Not sure I fully understand what you're suggesting?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

TBH I'd flash the firmware on your Netgear as it'll be a much better router for you.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: danfrancis
The Thomson router is as follows:
Product Name: TG585 v8
Software Release: 8.2.7.7
Wireless options for the router are "out of the box" I've not changed anything other than passwords. Not sure I fully understand what you're suggesting?

Speedtouch routers allow for 3 type's of wireless security
1st anybody can logon with no codes
2nd put in the password (label on the bottom of the router) and logon to your wireless connection
3rd scan for wireless devices with the password it will scan for a new device with the correct the password.  By doing the 3rd means no one can access/login to  your wireless router without you giving permission.
The scan gives you 90 seconds time frame to enter the passwords
Some speedtouch router use to have a button on the front of the case which you pressed instead of asking the router to scan for wireless devices but some plusnet firmware routers had the button disabled
Puddy
dont forget to choose wpa2 mode its more secure
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
TBH I'd flash the firmware on your Netgear as it'll be a much better router for you.

I don’t agree the Speedtouch routers are excellent choice they offer better security by having a ssid and password for that router only unlike netgear their default password is password
In addition with a Speedtouch 716wl voip router you can get a free telephone line and 240 minutes of free calls or  unlimited voip 2 voip calls no matter were in the world you are.
But saying all that I am currently trying out a free draytek 2710n for amazon UK so have been selling my Speedtouch routers for £25 each  I brought over 10 at 99p each on eBay
But its personal choice in the end but I will keep a few as spares
Puddy