Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ADSL Signal on new order

wolfhowl
Grafter

Re: No ADSL Signal on new order

Woohoo!
Wow, just as you wait for one working splitter to arrive....4 come along at once.  The two i ordered came today, plus, PN kindly sent me two by first class post.  Im happy to report that they all work!
Alas, naturally, my joy suddenly turned to sorrow.  Now it seems, the newest socket...is bust.  After doing the scouting yesterday and opening it up and having a look inside, i think i may have broke it, because now, it has no dial tone, with or without my working splitters.  The extension in my room is in perfect working order and waiting to have its wires pulled out.  Same story with the Master. 
Now i can pretty much safely assume its the extension fault.  The phone plugged into it works fine on other extensions..other working phones dont work when plugged into it, working splitters dont help, and i can get a dial tone on every other socket.  I have also tried using it with everything on every other socket unplugged, still nothing.  Its just my luck.  Once i solve one problem, another comes along.  Am i safe to assume, i have just knocked a wire accidently?
scootie
Grafter

yep double check that extension.
but remember to power down your router and unplug it before messing with any wiring
also if its possable to hang back geting the extension to work and having to do a resync at this time of day i would wait
wolfhowl
Grafter

Oh, my router isnt in yet.  Im refraining to do so until i have pulled out the "unneccesary wires"
wolfhowl
Grafter

Right, i have just had a look, everything seems fine...I have unplugged 3+4, now 2+5 are the only ones left in...and still, nothing!  Doesnt look like anything has been disturbed there!  Any other suggestions?  Im in the process now of unplugging the wires on the other sockets now.
wolfhowl
Grafter

This is absolutely Great.  I have now gone from having 3 perfectly fine, working telephone extensions,  to 1.  After leaving wires in only 2+5, i have lost dial tones on both my upstairs sockets, i get nothing, what the heck have i just done!  i have knocked out pretty much all easily accesible telephone access to the outside world by getting a adsl service which should, to be completely honest, have been working from day one.  I can only imagine how much this is going to bloody cost me from BT to get them to sort everything out.  I have done nothing to anything i havent been told to do, the wires are in there correct positions according to the posts i have read here.  Not to mention my dad knew nothing about this, and now he going to be royally link:censored off cause he knew nothing about it.
adie:blue swear filter avoidance changed as per link:rules]
wolfhowl
Grafter

Ok.  Quite confused as honestly....i have no idea whats going on anymore....
All wires have been changed to only have 2+5 plugged in.  The office socket remains useless, even after checking, the wires are fine as far as i can see.
The socket in my room has a working filter, which can recieve a dial tone on the phone now! yet still No ADSL signal on the router. I Have tried unplugging everything and simply plugging the router into a working filter to the master socket, which again i can get a working dial tone with and without a filter..Again, no ADSL light makes an appearance.  I am guessing now that this time..its a faulty router/ADSL cable!?
Please, help me once more?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Is there any possibility of:
- junction boxes or joints between the actual sockets so that cables colours etc. don't match?
- damaged or broken cables (difficult to detect but easy to cause)
Have you traced all the cables so that you know for sure what's connected to what?
If you're not sure you probably need to go back to basics. Disconnect everything, make sure the master socket works and if it does work forwards from there one step at a time.
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Don't forget, until you've got a working filter, the phone may only ring when plugged into the master.

Sorry Chris - although I normally agree with very much you say - this had me thinking ?.
Surely the low frequency relatively high voltage ring current would always work, ADSL or no ADSL ? ?
wolfhowl
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Is there any possibility of:
- junction boxes or joints between the actual sockets so that cables colours etc. don't match?
- damaged or broken cables (difficult to detect but easy to cause)
Have you traced all the cables so that you know for sure what's connected to what?
If you're not sure you probably need to go back to basics. Disconnect everything, make sure the master socket works and if it does work forwards from there one step at a time.

Everything is out, there is nothing on anything.  Going from point 1 of the master socket.
- wires as previously described are only connected on 2+5, all others have been unplugged.  A dial tone can be recieved with or without a filter.  The Plusnet router i recieved for free with the adsl cable they provided me, fails to get an ADSL signal light at all!  It does not flicker, its not red, its completely off, when plugged into the master socket with the filter (the filter i know works 100%).  So, in order to solve this, considering i can get a dial tone, am i assuming then, that i should technically also be recieving ADSL, therefore my router and/or cable that connects router to the splitter is faulty?  or can there be another problem?  Would, in light of this information, PN be willing to also send me a router and ADSL cable?  Or is it more likely to be a wiring fault/ or recieving a dial tone is no guarantee ADSL is available?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Wolf
A dial tone can be recieved with or without a filter. 

Ah, is that a change? (improvement)
If that's the case you just need to report it as a fault to PlusNet and see what transpires.
wolfhowl
Grafter

an improvement, only so much as i couldnt get a dialtone with the filter they had given me before.  I Could always get a dial tone without a filter on the master, only since they sent the new filters can i get one with and without.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: mal0z
Quote from: Anotherone
Don't forget, until you've got a working filter, the phone may only ring when plugged into the master.

Sorry Chris - although I normally agree with very much you say - this had me thinking ?.
Surely the low frequency relatively high voltage ring current would always work, ADSL or no ADSL ? ?

No Mal, some phones require the bell wire to ring, and if you disconnect the bell wire then the only place you have a bell connection is at the master or at a 'working' filter!!
Hiya, Wolf Howl, oh dear, as you say one problem after another let me have a quick re-read, check that the wires for 2 & 5 are properly connected in the IDC terminals. In case you are not awaye they are Insulation Displacement Connectors.
The wire is pushed down with a special tool into the terminal which breaks through the insulation on two sides and comes into contact with the wire. You could use a pair of tweezers BUT don't wedge them or anything else between the metal bits of the contact which may open them up and not make contact with the wire.
If your extansion is working then check the wires on the back of your socket to the office and the back of the office socket.
wolfhowl
Grafter

Right, now that is one thing i have DEFINATELY noticed, i reckon one or more wires is not touching the metal at all, only the plastic, Pardon my ignorance regarding all this, but i am still most certainly very newbie in terms of wiring.  I will have a check tomorow.  If i find they havent broke sufficiently to allow the inner wire to touch the metal, do i just push the wire down unti it reveals it?  will the metal bits cut the wire in order to do so?  Or would some wire strippers or something be useful?
Also,  Im not to clear on something.  But if i can receive a dial tone, is this not irrelavent?  I thought the ADSL came through the phone line, therefore if the phone line works/get a dial tone...then my ADSL should be fine, and its the router causing the hassle?
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry, I only read through quickly, had to deal with call of nature, if you have dial tone everywhere then the wiring is fine. I'll re-read, have your Netgear handy. I'll post again in 3 or 4 miniutes.
Anotherone
Champion

Right, can you confirm if you have dial tone at all sockets. The cable connectors for your Netgear should be the same as the Thomson. Does your phone have a plug in cable? Is the phone cordless?